147 replies to this topic

#31 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,936 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

So it is wrong to kill yourself, leaving others to live in pain for your own convenience, but it is perfectly okay to denounce suicide, and expect another to live in pain for your own convenience?

It is impossible to be selfish in this situation, because your life is yours and yours alone.

How hard is it to understand you are responsible for yourself. If you would feel sad if someone close to you dies, that is your problem, and is not their fault. It is like saying a girl has to marry you because you love her, and you would be sad if she rejected you. Too bad if you would be sad, she has every right to marry who she pleases. Same goes with living and dying, no one is required to live solely for your amusement, that is called slavery and we have moved past such despicable acts.

This post is ridiculous.

There are people in your life you have a responsibility towards, whether you like it or not. Parents, children, family...even the law recognizes that. And, to a lesser extent, society has expectations as to how a person should treat those they have chosen to make friends with.

It's not the same as choosing a mate. Obviously both parties have a choice - because once that choice and commitment is made it is a legally binding obligation. You may be able to choose whether you marry a girl, but once you marry her you can't simply cast her off and not pay some sort of support.
Posted Image

#32 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

So it is wrong to kill yourself, leaving others to live in pain for your own convenience, but it is perfectly okay to denounce suicide, and expect another to live in pain for your own convenience?

It is impossible to be selfish in this situation, because your life is yours and yours alone.

How hard is it to understand you are responsible for yourself. If you would feel sad if someone close to you dies, that is your problem, and is not their fault. It is like saying a girl has to marry you because you love her, and you would be sad if she rejected you. Too bad if you would be sad, she has every right to marry who she pleases. Same goes with living and dying, no one is required to live solely for your amusement, that is called slavery and we have moved past such despicable acts.

Thought I'd seen it all on here but this one deserves some kind of award for twisted logic. The carnage that is left behind by suicide is very real and lingers for years, sometimes for life. Questions that can never be answered. Guilt that can not be assuaged. Sadness that reshapes your life and redefines your very nature. The real victims are the survivors. Ask anyone who is one.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#33 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:01 PM

Her death is the media's fault. No frenzy = no death. Plain and simple. RIP.
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#34 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,580 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

The majority of the people on this thread say the DJs are not to blame and pranks are harmless.

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide.  If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive.   It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

Everyone has said that the nurse was depressed or suffered from mental illness.  We don't know that for sure.  Was there something else affecting her like family problems.

Pranks are not always harmless.  People sometimes die from so called pranks.

Whether the DJ should be fire or not is debateable but that is something that will be on their conscience for the rest of their lives.

You say we don't know if she suffered mental illness. Fair enough, but you are also making an assumption that the call was not made the nurse would still be alive based on the article we have no way of knowing if this is true or not. Therefore, it's unfair to blame the DJ's for a harmless prank that was in no way targeted towards the nurse herself. If the nurse didn't committ suicide and instead decided to sue the DJ's I bet you'd be talking about what a silly lawsuit she is filling.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#35 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

This would be much bigger news had she done the Amanda Todd and made a YouTube video first
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#36 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thought I'd seen it all on here but this one deserves some kind of award for twisted logic. The carnage that is left behind by suicide is very real and lingers for years, sometimes for life. Questions that can never be answered. Guilt that can not be assuaged. Sadness that reshapes your life and redefines your very nature. The real victims are the survivors. Ask anyone who is one.

this isn't an objective truth about suicide, so when you speak of it in generalities, or worse, when you speak of it as if your own experiences are the defining experience, your "logic" is even more twisted than his

you simply disagree with his opinion. you don't need to pad your silly response with "i thought i'd seen it all! this is so illogical!" or whatever
Posted Image

#37 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

She most likely had some sort of history with depression prior to this event.
Any blame on the DJ's is uncalled for, it was a harmless prank that got blown completely out of proportion by the media. If anything the sensationalization of this story is more to blame then the actual story itself.
Posted Image

#38 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:53 PM

this isn't an objective truth about suicide, so when you speak of it in generalities, or worse, when you speak of it as if your own experiences are the defining experience, your "logic" is even more twisted than his

you simply disagree with his opinion. you don't need to pad your silly response with "i thought i'd seen it all! this is so illogical!" or whatever

"Silly"? .. geez, pot calls kettle out .. nothing silly at all IMO .. unless you attach a Youtube video to everyone of your responses, you are hereby deemed "sillier" ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#39 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

When adults on live radio make prank calls what does it say to children? In some ways our society has made great improvements but in others it's been going down hill. Particularly in having respect for others.

These DJs should face some sort of lawsuit or criminal charge, mischief at the very least. Perhaps it's illegal to access other ppl's medical records. Not sure but I have a feeling prosecutors will do something or at least attempt to.

I saw this story on TV before the suicide and I couldn't believe it. I was upset at these 2 clowns for making this prank call. Now I'm just furious. This is unacceptable.

#40 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

"Silly"? .. geez, pot calls kettle out .. nothing silly at all IMO .. unless you attach a Youtube video to everyone of your responses, you are hereby deemed "sillier" ..

questioning and rejecting someones logic (without addressing logic at all), and then defending that rejection with complete sentimentality and subjectivity is silly, especially in a post padded with superiority and condescension
Posted Image

#41 Owen Nolan

Owen Nolan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,128 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

When adults on live radio make prank calls what does it say to children? In some ways our society has made great improvements but in others it's been going down hill. Particularly in having respect for others.

These DJs should face some sort of lawsuit or criminal charge, mischief at the very least. Perhaps it's illegal to access other ppl's medical records. Not sure but I have a feeling prosecutors will do something or at least attempt to.

I saw this story on TV before the suicide and I couldn't believe it. I was upset at these 2 clowns for making this prank call. Now I'm just furious. This is unacceptable.

Not sure if serious..
Posted Image

#42 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:40 PM

I disagree since the call precipated the suicide. If the call was NOT made, the nurse may be still alive. It was the trigger that caused the suicide.

On the same hand, let's say you're out driving and a child runs into the street. You don't see the kid because it just bolted out between 2 cars and you can't stop. You hit and kill the kid. If you weren't out driving, the kid would still be alive. But I would in no way blame you. These things just sadly happen.

#43 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:42 PM

she obviously had alot of other issues if she killed herself over a prank call..

#44 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Rolling my eyes at those of you wanting sanctions taken against the Aussie DJs who pulled off this prank call. Bro Jake & company at Rock 101 used to do it all the time, Larry & Willy were notorious for their prank calls, DJs all over the world do this sort of thing all the time.........and who knows what the fallout from some of those calls were? This one is big news only because of the family involved and the tragic outcome that is splattered all over media around the world.

It's sad that someone is dead, but we don't know all the circumstances in this woman's life. I do know that the pressure of being a nurse in a British hospital is very, very different than being a nurse here in Canada, and let's face it, there was a huge mistake made in the protocol of dealing with a high level patient in their hospital.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 07 December 2012 - 07:32 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#45 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Rolling my eyes at those of you wanting sanctions taken against the Aussie DJs who pulled off this prank call. Larry and Willie at Rock 101 used to do it all the time, DJs all over the world do this sort of thing all the time.........and who knows what the fallout from some of those calls were? This one is big news only because of the family involved and the tragic outcome that is splattered all over media around the world.

It's sad that someone is dead, but we don't know all the circumstances in this woman's life. I do know that the pressure of being a nurse in a British hospital is very, very different than being a nurse here in Canada, and let's face it, there was a huge mistake made in the protocol of dealing with a high level patient in their hospital. One does not give out private information on a patient ....even in Canada......let alone private information on a member of the the Royal family.

I don't recall Larry and Willy working at 101.

#46 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I don't recall Larry and Willy working at 101.

It's been corrected.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 07 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#47 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,435 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Hey, why don't you get a life. Who are you, my ???? teacher? It's my opinion, deal with it.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#48 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

A lot of strange and suspicious "suicides" involving high profile controversial people happen in Britain, don't they? It's almost like somebody is sending a message out there, making it loud and clear that they have the police firmly in their grip.

#49 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hey, why don't you get a life. Who are you, my ???? teacher? It's my opinion, deal with it.

proving once again how articulate you are
Posted Image

#50 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

proving once again how articulate you are

People with glass jaws should not lead with their face .. did Confucius say that or am I just making it up? .. video at 11 .. B)

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#51 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,697 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

nevermind, don't care

Edited by GLASSJAW, 07 December 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Posted Image

#52 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

nevermind, don't care

+1
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#53 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

What about the people who love you ?

You are welcome to your opinion , but it sounds to me like you have a very selfish , "it's all about ME" attitude.
a persons actions have consequences for their loved ones , have you ever had to organise a funeral for a loved one who took their life ? have you ever lowered the coffin of a loved one into their grave after they have taken their life ? I have , and these were some of the most painful experiences of my life

I reiterate taking your own life is a very selfish act.

Committing suicide is a very desperate act by people who are not thinking rationally.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#54 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

POPULAR

Committing suicide is a very desperate act by people who are not thinking rationally.

That's what mental illness will do to you.
People who commit suicide are neither selfish, nor are they cowards, they simply may just not be in a stable enough mind to think about what may come afterwards, and are unable to convince themselves that things may get better.

Edited by Jägermeister, 07 December 2012 - 08:48 PM.

Posted Image

#55 Truculence

Truculence

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,311 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:48 PM

Screw the idiotic British monarchy, screw the horrible British press, screw the morons who read their crap, screw obnoxious morning radio DJs everywhere, screw the morons who listen to their crap, screw the "entertainment news" sleazebags the world over, and screw the pathetic excuses for human beings who value anything they spew. Screw the jackasses in this thread who blame the victim too. I bet if you made a simple mistake that humiliated you internationally, lost you your job, and infuriated your government authority, you'd likely off yourself too.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 07 December 2012 - 10:39 PM.
Removed offensive last line.

s_l_s.gif

burroes.gif

#56 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

Screw the idiotic British monarchy, screw the horrible British press, screw the morons who read their crap, screw obnoxious morning radio DJs everywhere, screw the morons who listen to their crap, screw the "entertainment news" sleazebags the world over, and screw the pathetic excuses for human beings who value anything they spew. Screw the jackasses in this thread who blame the victim too. I bet if you made a simple mistake that humiliated you internationally, lost you your job, and infuriated your government authority, you'd likely off yourself too.

You should be banned permanently from any public discourse!!!!! .. :mad:

Edited by debluvscanucks, 08 December 2012 - 12:51 PM.
Portion of quote removed

#57 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm surprised nobody has come out and said the Royal family did this because they were furious and made it out to look like a suicide...

13yl1g7.jpg

#58 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

That's what mental illness will do to you.
People who commit suicide are neither selfish, nor are they cowards, they simply may just not be in a stable enough mind to think about what may come afterwards, and are unable to convince themselves that things may get better.

I'm glad somebody ???? gets it, for crying out loud.

All of the people in here condemning those who commit suicides, have you really sat down and thought about it for a second?

These people are committing suicide. They are choosing to end their own lives because living has become so painful that they;'d rather die. Think about that for a second before you go judging them. Committing suicide is the most final decision anyone can make. Surely, the person's mental state is extremely fragile and volatile.

Nobody has ever said suicide is rational, but to sit here and think you know what's going on in someone's head is utterly unfair. Sure, it is extremely harmful and damaging to those who love and care for those people, I know, but at the same time, a little compassion doesn't hurt. You have to try and understand it from both sides, instead of condemning one side entirely.

RIP LB RR PD

#59 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:41 PM

The dj's should most definitely take some blame. They instigated a prank that would ultimately lead to negative consequences for the victim if the prank was a success. They had to of known that before they picked up the phone. Whether the nurse would be fired, or publicly ridiculed at the highest level, the repercussions were potentially huge for whoever fell for it.

This isn't like ordering some pizzas to your local mayors house.

#60 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,617 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

I'm surprised nobody has come out and said the Royal family did this because they were furious and made it out to look like a suicide...

Sadly, it's a possibility. Pretty sure that family could get away with anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.