Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

Waive Ballard or Straight Trade For Komisarek?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
70 replies to this topic

#61 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

Anyone who thinks Keith Ballard has a future with Canucks organization is living in denial. His future with this team looks bleak. Like Shane O Brien I think Ballard will be on the move either by waiver wire or a trade. Coach AV really has no love for Ballard and Keith has underwhelmed himself as a Canuck.

I suspect that Ballard could be gone purely because of the new CBA and the assumed drop in the salary cap, and I'll be sad to see him go if that's the case.

The poor guy just can't seem to catch a break while he's been in a Canucks jersey. He's had injuries, frequent changes in pairings (although working with Tanev looks to be working out), and he is one of those d-men who can only play effectively on one side of the ice and that's the side where the Canucks are deepest in talent.

He could be part of the Luongo deal, but that would mean that the destination team would have to eat their combined cap hit of $9+ million. From the usual suspect teams which might want Luongo, the only one that I see as possibly wanting Ballard and being able to accept the extra cap hit would be TB. Their defense is kind of creaky in places (Salo, Ohlund) and Ballard is a mobile d-man who could fit in their top-6.

The question then becomes, what would the Canucks have to take back and would it be worth it?

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#62 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

If Eddy walks there is a big hole to fill.

The only question with Ballard here is salary.

He is a top 4 on most teams in the NHL so his salary is still fair to middling.

As one poster said ,put Keith with Dan and he is as capable as Kevin.

Edited by nuck nit, 23 December 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#63 mrsasaki

mrsasaki

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

Ballard is miles ahead of Komisarek. You can get a better player with 4 times less salary for a 4th round pick. Go for someone like Steve Eminger or Jay Harrison. Or sign Pavel Kubina in free agency for all I care. If you really want to trade Ballard, maybe throw in a pick and try to pry Roman Polak from St. Louis

Edited by mrsasaki, 23 December 2012 - 02:08 AM.

#64 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

More like Waive AV

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#65 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,599 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

More like Waive AV

:towel:

zackass.png

#66 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Being a Montreal native when i used to watch Komisarek put on the bleu blanc et rouge I enjoyed watching him play and I thought he is one of the best d men in the nhl he was physical like bieksa and extremly solid,but after the playoff series where him and lucic started beefing. Beating up lucic became the main focus of his career and he has never been the same but he has the tools to be amazing and i personally think it would be an awesome pickup for the Canucks knowing that he has a strong relationship with Higgins.

#67 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:15 AM

Ballard was one of our good things about last season............stay off the shandy!
Kevin.jpg

#68 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

If Eddy walks there is a big hole to fill.

The only question with Ballard here is salary.

He is a top 4 on most teams in the NHL so his salary is still fair to middling.

As one poster said ,put Keith with Dan and he is as capable as Kevin.

By Dan you mean Hamhuis? Hamhuis is our most reliable D on most nights, but when Ballard is on the ice with him probably during a line change they look like headless chickens. No coach in their right minds would ever purposely let that happen.
Posted Image

#69 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:38 AM

By Dan you mean Hamhuis? Hamhuis is our most reliable D on most nights, but when Ballard is on the ice with him probably during a line change they look like headless chickens. No coach in their right minds would ever purposely let that happen.

Ballard is a better D'man then Bieksa...who i remember was being beat down by CDC just like how Ballard is just a season or two ago.
i would take Ballard over Bieksa any day of the week. not that i don't like bieksa i do, but Ballard is a way better player.
he has just never really had a chance.. but if Hammer never signed here we would all be singing his praises. because that would have been his role .

Release The KraKassian
Kassianthe_Krakensm.jpg

#70 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:46 AM

though i don't think ballard is as bad as.many think he is. it would be nice to ditch his contract to free up edler money.

You were watching Ballard last season and during the playoffs I take it. Where would we get a player of Ballard's quality even for the money we are paying him. If we were to pick up an injury we are reamed without a thoroughbred replacement like Keith Ballard. Could you imagine being forced to bring up Connauton or Sauve?

Also don't underestimate the influence of Ballard on Tanev. Tanev is not the same player without Ballard, just watch Chicago Wolves.
Kevin.jpg

#71 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Ballard is a better D'man then Bieksa...who i remember was being beat down by CDC just like how Ballard is just a season or two ago.
i would take Ballard over Bieksa any day of the week. not that i don't like bieksa i do, but Ballard is a way better player.
he has just never really had a chance.. but if Hammer never signed here we would all be singing his praises. because that would have been his role .

Who is a better D between KB3 and KB4.2 is debatable, but who has better chemistry with Hamhuis is not debatable.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.