The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

Interesting that anyone making unflattering comments about the Canucks is deemed an "idiot" (myself included).

Cox was well known to be very close with Burke - the only media guy liked by BB. So this could be a very real representation of what the Canucks were asking for from Toronto. And if they're not willing to give it, that should be a pretty good signal that I'm on the right track with my predictions.

So let me get this straight, Burke was fired for not getting the leafs in the playoffs, but Cox thinks there's no pressure on Nonis now? So what, Nonis gets his own 5 years of excuses if why the leafs are not a playoff team, all while Leafs fans say its ok...... We don't enjoy the playoffs anyways! In his article he also says the leafs are better off drafting blue chip prospects rather than trading for Luongo... Sure, but its too bad they don't know how to draft. Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf, Gardiner, MacArthur, vanriemsdyk were all traded for our signed, why stop the streak now?

I like how Gillis is sticking to his guns. Kadri and Gardiner is the asking price Nonis. It's not gonna change.

We don't want picks, we don't want Bozak, Frattin, or Komisarek.

If it comes down to it, and the best we can get is a pending UFA and a top prospect, I would much rather get it from another team.

Of course BB likes him, which articles like that. "Whatever the team is currently doing is the best thing to do."

People seem to forget that the Leafs had at least some playoff success before the first lockout. The main reason? Goaltending. Joseph and then Belfour kept them relevant. They burned a top goaltender prospect to land Raycroft, and a 1st, 2nd, and 4th round pick on Toskala - all to try to land another goalie who could provide that again. The problem was those guys were unproven.

Now here is a perennial allstar goaltender, who has proven able to handle the pressure of a major Canadian market...and he's not worth anything of value? Really? That's either complete nonsense, or total, utter BS.

Cox raises a valid point. Does Luongo on TO make them a Cup contender, today, in your eyes? He might help get them to the playoffs, but then they'll probably just be 1st round fodder for a team like Boston. They're still not that good with Luongo. So perhaps they've made a decision to tank and see if they can somehow land a real franchise-type guy like Jones, MacKinnon, McDavid, etc. Don't discount that option. Nonis was given a new contract, so it's feasible.

Nonis, when starting out as GM for the Canucks, was asked what one player he'd pick to start a new team with. Without hesitation, he said Luongo. His modus operandi, same as Burke's (though you wouldn't know it by Burke's reign in TO), was to build from the goalie first, to the Dmen, to centre, finally to the wing. It wouldn't surprise me that Nonis is a lot more keen on getting Lu than was Burke, who apparently got fired because he wouldn't trade for Lu when the new ownership group wanted him to.

I just can't stand the arrogance from the Toronto media. As if we should just give them Luongo, and that they would be doing us a favor.

Since when do you not have to give up vaulable pieces to get a top player?

The standard price in deals like this is a roster player, a prospect, and a pick. They can keep their roster player and pick and just give us two prospects.

Archived