3455 replies to this topic

#1411 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think its about time AV lets some of his young players make a mistake and still get out the next shift. That's the only way players are going to get better. Young players make mistakes, they always have always will. Even the great young stars.

I think Kadri, Bozak and 2nd is what's coming back for Lu. This whole Philly thing is just a bunch of hog wash.

Give Kadri lots of ice, let him make mistakes and learn from them. This way he'll be ready and better for it come playoff time. Same goes with Kassian, Tanev et all.

President's trophy in not whats important. There is only one trophy that counts and we need some younger guys and the energy they bring on the team to get there.

#1412 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

If its Kadri Bozak and a second I would rather go for a first and second.Theres plenty of second tier forwards around Van that can be given their last kick at the can with this shortened season.Then at the draft use the four high picks to get a player out of the top five.Either a d man or a player that can distribute to booth and Kesler.

#1413 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

A couple of months ago I thought Bozak, Kadri and Franson would be a good deal. After initial excitement after Burke firing and thinking we might get Gardiner I've come back to reality.

I'd be pretty happy with Bozak, Kadri and Franson. I'd rather have Franson over the 2nd rounder.

#1414 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,650 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

We keep talking about Toronto, but Florida is still a more likely destination. I'm starting to think Matthias and Gudbranson would get the job done.

(Sig removed by mod)
Previously Doug The Thug Glatt

#1415 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

A couple of months ago I thought Bozak, Kadri and Franson would be a good deal. After initial excitement after Burke firing and thinking we might get Gardiner I've come back to reality.

I'd be pretty happy with Bozak, Kadri and Franson. I'd rather have Franson over the 2nd rounder.

Nonis has a gun to his head to make the Luongo deal, Ask for Biggs + Finn if they dont want to give Gardiner :P haha

#1416 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,659 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

What if Kesler is out until the playoffs? and thats IF we make the playoffs without Kesler and slotting some player into the 2nd line?

Our team is good enough to make the playoffs without Kesler. Our defense is tops in the league and we have Schneider, even with 1 offensive line we can get in.

#1417 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

clemmenson,mattias, shore petrovic

for luongo
raymond
sauve

#1418 WestCoastCanucks

WestCoastCanucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

I want a good return for Luongo too obviously but some of you are going to very disappointed when he actually gets traded judging from the names being thrown around here.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

#1419 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Our team is good enough to make the playoffs without Kesler. Our defense is tops in the league and we have Schneider, even with 1 offensive line we can get in.

I hope you're right because based on the top 300 scorers in the league, all the Nucks have is one scoring line. Our scoring depth is lacking as evidenced by what happens to our scoring when the Sedins struggle or are shut down. Defense and goaltending are not the Nuck's weak points...secondary scoring is. I hope Lu nets us a serious top 6 scoring center or wingman. That's the biggest missing piece.

#1420 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

If Philly offers Schenn or Courturier - that's better than almost anything Toronto can give.

If Philly does that. They've almost become front-runners.

Courturier has 1st line centerman written all over him. Schenn not as obvious - Courturier is as good as money. I'd take him for Luongo. only problem is, is it a fair trade?

#1421 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

I hope you're right because based on the top 300 scorers in the league, all the Nucks have is one scoring line. Our scoring depth is lacking as evidenced by what happens to our scoring when the Sedins struggle or are shut down. Defense and goaltending are not the Nuck's weak points...secondary scoring is. I hope Lu nets us a serious top 6 scoring center or wingman. That's the biggest missing piece.

Top 300 scorers in the league, and Canucks have only 1 scoring line? Where are you getting this? We were pretty deep last season in terms of scoring. 300 scorers is like 10 per team, I highly doubt that the Canucks 2nd line was worse than most teams 3rd lines. Backes was the blues leading scorer last year with 54 points, Edler alone almost had that much for the Canucks. When you have Higgins and Hansen playing 3rd line roles for much of the season but putting up 40 pts each, I think we're doing OK. The gap that needs to be filled is Kesler's 2nd line centre, while he's out to start the season.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1422 sampy

sampy

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Gardiner or Rielly has to be in the trade. Offensive dman is a big hole in the organization. Everyone else on the Leafs are secondary players which the Canucks have an abundance of (except Kessel and JVR).

#1423 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

We keep talking about Toronto, but Florida is still a more likely destination. I'm starting to think Matthias and Gudbranson would get the job done.

I tend to agree. Toronto will use the excuse of "we only want guys who want to be here. Roberto wanted to be in Florida".

EDIT: but I don't think Gudbranson is a guy that we'd be able to get back.

Edited by King of the ES, 11 January 2013 - 03:04 PM.

#1424 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

I've been trying to figure out who I'd want more, and I'm curious as to why you think Couturier fits better than B.Schenn? I know they're both great prospects but haven't seen them play much.

Well Schenn is obviously the more dynamic of the two, and he's pretty feisty.

But Couturier is 6'4" and is a better two way player. If Kesler struggles in the playoffs, Couturier would be much better suited to try and shut down guys like Thornton or Kopitar.

And I honestly think Couturier could beome a better player then Schenn down the road. Plus having a big skilled centerman ready to go for when the Sedins are done here would awesome for us.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1425 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Top 300 scorers in the league, and Canucks have only 1 scoring line? Where are you getting this? We were pretty deep last season in terms of scoring. 300 scorers is like 10 per team, I highly doubt that the Canucks 2nd line was worse than most teams 3rd lines. Backes was the blues leading scorer last year with 54 points, Edler alone almost had that much for the Canucks. When you have Higgins and Hansen playing 3rd line roles for much of the season but putting up 40 pts each, I think we're doing OK. The gap that needs to be filled is Kesler's 2nd line centre, while he's out to start the season.

It was a list compiled on TSN IIRC. WE had the sedins in the top 15, Burrows was something likkg 47 and we had 3 defensemen somewhere down the list. None of our other 9 forwards were in the rop 300. I agree it is the 2nd line that is the issue. Other than when Kes was on teh PP, it has not been overly productive and certainly not consistent. Secondary scoring has been the Nuck's achilles heal in the last 2 playoff series. More scoring talent is needed.

#1426 N4ZZY

N4ZZY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

I tend to agree. Toronto will use the excuse of "we only want guys who want to be here. Roberto wanted to be in Florida".

Gotta give to get.

#1427 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

i would agree as well. toronto would have to offer a significantly better package to land him, i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if they did... but if they just offer a package equal to what florida is offering, you would think gillis would send him to florida where he wants to be.

Im thinking being the former player agent he is, he's probably going to try his ass off to send him to florida

#1428 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

How about a different look? Because we kinda could use a puck rushing D in spite of all the depth and skill we have!

Kadri, Bozak (plus a conditional pick please, or preferably Biggs cause we need more value?) for Lou as advertised.

Add Gardiner for Edler! We'll take on a cap dump (MacArthur?) to make the cap work. And we still have massive LW depth to trade for size at right wing and right D or whatever at the deadline! This helps them bg time cap wise. With MacArthur gone,and Connely expiring, possibly buying out Komisarek they can expect to have money to re-sign Lupul, Edler and Kessel. They get a Phaneuf / Edler top PP pair and a major media splash for their media owner Bell.

Voila; Toronto makes the play off's, and we get young puck moving defence (on an ELC) to add to a depth centre, plus passing and scoring right wing. And we get exactly asset's we need for Edler and Lou who we cannot afford. Bingo; we also probably win a cup and extend our window?

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 11 January 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#1429 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

How about a different look? Because we kinda could use a puck rushing D in spite of all the depth and skill we have!

Kadri, Bozak (plus a conditional pick please, or preferably Biggs cause we need more value?) for Lou as advertised.

Add Gardiner for Edler! We'll take on a cap dump (MacArthur?) to make the cap work. And we still have massive LW depth to trade for size at right wing and right D or whatever at the deadline! This helps them bg time cap wise. With MacArthur gone,and Connely expiring, possibly buying out Komisarek they can expect to have money to re-sign Lupul, Edler and Kessel. They get a Phaneuf / Edler top PP pair and a major media splash for their media owner Bell.

Voila; Toronto makes the play off's, and we get young puck moving defence (on an ELC) to add to a depth centre, plus passing and scoring right wing. And we get exactly asset's we need for Edler and Lou who we cannot afford. Bingo; we also probably win a cup and extend our window?

Kadri, Bozak, Gardiner, Biggs, and MacArthur for Luongo and expering contract elder? Lol!

#1430 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Kadri can't play defense, he's just like Hodgson. AV won't trust him, he's still recovering from having to put Hodgson on the ice.
Once Kesler gets back Bozak would be useless. Lapierre is a better option for the 3rd line, he showed it in the playoffs. He centered our 3rd line to game 7 of the finals.

So I don't want an If and a throw-away for Luongo. Better deals can be had.

Bang on!

Lu is a proven commodity so why should Van take back; a) Kadri who has proven nothing in the NHL and cannot even make a TO lineup that underperforms. (B) Bozak who has shown signs of promise but as you suggest Lappy would outplay IMO. I actually expect Lappy to be a bit of a dark horse this year. If he builds on his season last year look out.

As much as everyone is worried about a Kesler replacement I think AV looks hards at Manny, Lappy and Schroeder in a combination of roles for the bottom 3 C positions. MG might go that route in a waiting game for the type of deal Lu should bring.

#1431 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Well Schenn is obviously the more dynamic of the two, and he's pretty feisty.

But Couturier is 6'4" and is a better two way player. If Kesler struggles in the playoffs, Couturier would be much better suited to try and shut down guys like Thornton or Kopitar.

And I honestly think Couturier could beome a better player then Schenn down the road. Plus having a big skilled centerman ready to go for when the Sedins are done here would awesome for us.

Add a 2nd round pic and I would go for a deal like that. I admit that my take is solely from last years playoffs. Couturier empressed for sure.

#1432 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

gardiner for edler? not in a million years would i do that

#1433 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I'm betting this will all be history in 10 days to 2 weeks and the speculation will be over. Lou will be gone, we will have a veteran backup and a prized player who can score !

#1434 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Philly

Luongo
Kulemin
Franson

Van

Couturier
Bozak

Tor

Bryzgalov
Raymond
Connaughton
Van 2nd
Philly 2nd

Philly gets an elite goalie, and more depth to their Offense and Defense with solid additions that will play their physical style. They lose Couturier, an unwanted Bryz and a 2nd to acquire

Van gets immense center depth for years to come ensuring with Jensen, Kassian, Couturier, Bozak, Gaunce, and Hansen make a physical top 9 to ensure our competitiveness.

Toronto lose Franson, Bozak, and Kulemin 2 of which were RFA and in exchange load up on picks and prospects, they get their goalie, have a replacement for Kulemin immediately and essentially can have Reilly replacing Franson this year.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Booth Kesler Higgins
Couturier Bozak Kassian
Malhotra Lapierre Hansen
Weise Ebbet Jensen/Gaunce

Hamhuis Bieksa
Edler Garrison
Ballard Tanev
Alberts Barker

Schneider

This is the kind of depth you need to win a cup.

Edited by Merci, 11 January 2013 - 04:11 PM.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#1435 VegasCanuck

VegasCanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

I fully believe that the Flyers inquired about Luongo and did so recently.

Personally I think this is the Flyers trying to run up the price that Toronto will pay to bring Luongo to their division.

#1436 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Luongo seems very zen like lately. I like the new Luongo.

I'm thinking that if the Flyers did in fact inquire about Luongo, they may have said: if he's available after the season we would be interested.

Cause really it doesn't make that much sense for the Flers to acquire Luongo when they still have Bryzgalov. But come summertime, when they can use one of their buyouts on Bryzgalov, then it makes more sense.

I'm starting to think Luongo stays a Canucks for this shortened season though.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1437 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

I can't see Philly trading one of the Schenn brothers, as that would surely sour the relationship with the other, so they are a package pair. Keep in mind that any trade sending Couturier or the Schenns this way would 100% have to be sending Gaunce the other way to help even out the loss of youth on Philly's end. It fits each respective team's windows as well since Vancouver needs a guy like Couturier right now instead of having to wait for Gaunce while Philly would still have Giroux, B. Schenn & Talbot as a very solid top three and Briere as a fall back option at centre if Schenn displays a need to move back onto the wing for more seasoning.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#1438 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'm starting to think Luongo stays a Canucks for this shortened season though.

I've been thinking this as well. I don't think he gets moved this season unless we get an amazing return. ie. Couturier

#1439 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I've been thinking this as well. I don't think he gets moved this season unless we get an amazing return. ie. Couturier

I think MG will strike while the iron is hot and the interest in Lou is at a peak !

#1440 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,659 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

I can't see Philly trading one of the Schenn brothers, as that would surely sour the relationship with the other, so they are a package pair. Keep in mind that any trade sending Couturier or the Schenns this way would 100% have to be sending Gaunce the other way to help even out the loss of youth on Philly's end. It fits each respective team's windows as well since Vancouver needs a guy like Couturier right now instead of having to wait for Gaunce while Philly would still have Giroux, B. Schenn & Talbot as a very solid top three and Briere as a fall back option at centre if Schenn displays a need to move back onto the wing for more seasoning.

They picked a pretty similar player to Gaunce earlier in the same draft. I think they would want a d-man, possibly a Chris Tanev.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.