255 replies to this topic

#121 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Maybe he got attacked by a goat, but doesn't want the fans and media to know. :bigblush:

Could happen. I got attacked by a cougar in a pub a few weeks back.

#122 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Why's everyone panicking? Look at our team. We're still solid from the net on out. Yes, we lost some serious secondary scoring in Kesler and Booth. But to me, that just means we're going to be in a lot of close 1-goal games instead of blowing teams out.

From the net on out, we are rock solid. With either Schneider or Luongo in net and our defense healthy as it is now, we should not give up that many goals. Most nights, our goaltending and defense will keep us in games, and we can rely on the Sedins for 1 goal per game and on the occasion, more. Then it is up to 3 lines to get us 1 goal per game and when we need it, 2.

D Sedin - H Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen
Ebbett/Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Barker/Alberts/Vandermeer

Luongo/Schneider

We're going to rely heavily on defense, goaltending and the Sedins to win the game. It's our system and the team working as a whole to follow that system that will win us games. We can easily be in contention without Kesler and Booth.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#123 Puckster

Puckster

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I am dissapointed that Booth got injured, I was expecting more from him this year. Especially with a center that maybe is puck distributor rather than a net crasher, maybe!
His religious conviction has no bearing into this discussion.
his hunting practice, to me , means he is probably eating healthier meat than non-hunters.( I personally prefer game meat , which means it has not been tainted by steroids/antibiotics and is typically way leaner in fat content)

#124 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 72,100 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Lapierre - Higgins
Kassian - Schroeder - Hansen
Volpatti - Malhotra - Weise

?

307mg00.jpg

#125 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Our line up is soo weak right now.

#126 cloutier123

cloutier123

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

The Luongo trade has to happen now. We really need another forward (ie. Bozak)

absolutley not, I will not have him on my team.

#127 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Some of the crap on this board is unreal. Raising questions of his faith or off season rec activities. More than a few guys on the team are men of faith and lots hunt and fish.

As far as conditioning, AV himself said today it was likely a result of over training.

Booth goes hard to the net. Has a good shot. Fast skater. Fights. Takes the body.

He is a nice fit and similar to Kesler. I would take him over a lot of other pla y ers on our team.

Next Kes injuries will be revisited...

There will be more... Hammer and Kassian.

I Love Lamp...

#128 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Don't understand why people are ripping on Booth for supposedly being out of shape. The man has a reputation for having an extremely high level of fitness. This wouldn't be his fault if it wasn't for the hunting and religion, which isn't any of our business to begin with. One of the main issues people have with organized religion is the intolerance pervasive throughout the fundamentalist movement; the people in this thread attacking the man for his beliefs are just as bad.

The guy uprooted himself away from his family in midseason last year, had some injury issues, and still worked his ass off for us. He had some bad luck last year with a centre who was having a brutal season hiding an injury.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#129 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

sigh
Posted Image

#130 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Don't understand why people are ripping on Booth for supposedly being out of shape. The man has a reputation for having an extremely high level of fitness. This wouldn't be his fault if it wasn't for the hunting and religion, which isn't any of our business to begin with. One of the main issues people have with organized religion is the intolerance pervasive throughout the fundamentalist movement; the people in this thread attacking the man for his beliefs are just as bad.

The guy uprooted himself away from his family in midseason last year, had some injury issues, and still worked his ass off for us. He had some bad luck last year with a centre who was having a brutal season hiding an injury.

He admitted he wasnt hitting the gym while hunting.

“I was in my hometown because I thought we were getting close. I was able to keep in shape and keep doing some of the favourite things I enjoy. It’s all different. Some days I don’t stop moving for 12 hours. It gets monotonous going to the gym every day, and that’s what keeps me motivated.”

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2I5i4kZmG

In other words instead of hitting the gym he got his exercise from hunting.

Edited by gradin123, 15 January 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#131 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted Image

Rubs everyone the wrong way? Why? because he hunts and / or he's a Christian?!

Because he can't or won't pass, because he has next to no hockey sense, because he's injury prone (not just this latest infirmity), and perhaps most troubling of all, because he won't take responsibility for his own less-than-inspiring play (check out the Booth-twitter thread which just got resurrected).

From the first few games I saw Booth play, I thought OH-oh. He'd be a lot better if we had a pure passer on the second line to feed him passes at centre or the opposing blue line in full flight so he can make his trademark crash-the-net attempt. But he's a poor fit for us on the 2nd line even when Kesler gets back.

#132 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Rubs everyone the wrong way? Why? because he hunts and / or he's a Christian?!

And he didn't score enough. And his defensive skills are weak. And he does not seem particularly well-liked by his team-mates or the media.

This is one deal that has not panned out.

#133 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

It's not the end of the world. We can still win the NW division with a 1 line team. As long as most of the players are healthy before the playoffs, the 2nd line issues will resolve themselves.
Posted Image

#134 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

POPULAR

He plays hard, physical and fearless. Doesn't whine, dive or pull any crap. Saying he's not a "true Canuck", is only an insult to it's definition.

#135 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Booth has proven to be a bust for Gillis. Shtuff happens though.

My only hope is that he's traded.
Posted Image

#136 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

POPULAR

No need for an apology (to all 3 of them). What kind of pro athelete (lock out or otherwise) allows himself to atrophy to a point where he pulls a groin in physicals? This is beyond frustrating for all the fans who are waiting for the big guy to SHOW UP finally.

AV said he over-trained. Way to miss the previous 15 times it was said. He works hard and is one of our best forwards. Advanced stats show it blatantly. Booth haters are just closeted American haters who want to take it out on our guys. How about this: you guys go work on becoming worthwhile human beings, gain some confidence and identity, and then perhaps you'll have less of a desire to rail against the American straw man that you've made Booth out to be. It's always the worst among us that are eager to single out and hate on people much more upstanding than themselves.

#137 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

I said it in the last Booth thread, look at the silver linings people! Kassian will have a real shot at a top 6 wing spot, Schroeder could possibly fill in for Kesler while he's out, and between the 5m from Kesler and the 4.5m from Booth, we free up a prorated 9.5m to make a deadline splash. I'm a fan of our prospects and I really like the idea of giving them a shot..

I'm not a fan of panicking and making a trade for the short term. But I like the rest of your post. AV will be forced to use guys like Schroeder and Kassian more than he'd otherwise like, and it could really give the fans a look at how they perform under NHL fire game-to-game. Not expecting much value there, but it could work out for the better long term for them, for confidence and hockey development.

The thing that stings about Booth is not just the 4.25 mill per year, but the term. At least Salo was a force when he was in the line-up, and most of his injuries were minor ones. Booth, on the other hand ....

#138 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

If he's was actually training and staying in shape during the lockout rather than hunting he may not have hurt himself during physicals.

Yes because hunting doesn't take any physical strength or stamina at all.

zackass.png

#139 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,739 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

“I was in my hometown because I thought we were getting close. I was able to keep in shape and keep doing some of the favourite things I enjoy"

Fitness is one of the things he enjoys.

Some days I don’t stop moving for 12 hours.

What a slacker. Guess he doesn't deserve a day off to persue his other interests during his time off.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

#140 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Booth has proven to be a bust for Gillis. Shtuff happens though.

My only hope is that he's traded.

How is he a bust when he hasn't even had an opportunity? Everyone just needs to calm down. Did you guys know that Iginla is missing camp right now because of a groin injury? I don't think you'll see Flames fans sh!tting all over him.

And to those saying he wasn't training...he was training. He acknowledged that he was in the gym, just not every day. You take one look at that guy and you can tell he has been a gym rat most of his life. To call him out on his fitness seems just ridiculous. Booth's biceps are to Chris Higgins' abs.

Edited by Down by the River, 15 January 2013 - 05:04 PM.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#141 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,511 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

He admitted he wasnt hitting the gym while hunting.

“I was in my hometown because I thought we were getting close. I was able to keep in shape and keep doing some of the favourite things I enjoy. It’s all different. Some days I don’t stop moving for 12 hours. It gets monotonous going to the gym every day, and that’s what keeps me motivated.”

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2I5i4kZmG

In other words instead of hitting the gym he got his exercise from hunting.

People might read that as you saying he wasn't doing enough during the lockout.

Just because he was hunting didn't mean he wasn't going to the gym (or going enough). Typically you have rest days when doing gym work anyway, and perhaps he took a couple to go on a hunting trip instead of just the one a week you might do normally. On other days off he mentioned mountain climbing, hiking and other activities that would work muscles differently or work cardio. It pays to have a varied workout schedule.

To clarify:
It's monotonous going to the gym every day =/= not going to the gym

Edited by elvis15, 15 January 2013 - 05:09 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#142 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

They spending an adequate amount of money on F depth - they just have $9.2M going on the LTIR to start the season

Perfect let the UFA signings begin
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#143 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Omg, we must trade Lou NOW. We're doomed! Doomed I say!!!! :frantic:

Ah CDC, whine and complain about prospects not getting a chance, then hit the panic button when injuries occur to give them a chance.

No kidding, I for one am glad they are getting a shot, not happy we lost Kes and Booth as they are 2 of my favorite players but it will be interesting to see what Kass and JS can do.

Wow, there is a lot of stupidity in this thread. He's a christian and he hunts. So what? Let the man do what he wants.

Apparently the players aren't allowed to have personal lives unless it suits what CDC wants it to be.

zackass.png

#144 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,349 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

On topic now, this is a huge loss.

Was really looking forward to seeing him play, seemed energized and ready to go, too bad he is back on the shelf. Dang.

zackass.png

#145 WeDreamOfStanley

WeDreamOfStanley

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I like Booth and respect his religious and recreational choices as, believe it or not, they are HIS to make.

I wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him drive the net.

Edited by WeDreamOfStanley, 15 January 2013 - 05:19 PM.

#146 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,041 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

I'm not ready to hit the panic button yet. Our prospects needed a chance to show what they can do sooner or later, and now they'll get it. And it's not as if we can't just play a more defensive style until we get Booth and Kesler back. It's not as if AV doesn't know how to coach defense, as that's how we made the playoffs the first year Luongo was here.

Have faith in the guys and let things play out.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#147 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Booth goes hard to the net. Has a good shot. Fast skater. Fights. Takes the body.

He is a nice fit and similar to Kesler. I would take him over a lot of other pla y ers on our team.

Who cares? The OP is correct. Sometimes, guys just don't fit. Keith Ballard doesn't fit here, nor does David Booth.

When the trade was first made, a lot of people thought it to be very lopsided in our favour, but it was very clear that the goal of the transaction from the Panthers' perspective was to dump cap. This was not a hockey trade.

Booth can skate, but that's about the extent of his value. Not a sniper. Certainly not a leader. Certainly not a student of the game. I've said for a long time that I'd much rather have Raymond on my team than Booth, and I stand by that statement.

#148 Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane

Assistant to Regional Manager

• Members
  • 14,373 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

We are now potentially slotting two rookies in our top 6... Which will likely lead them being demoted by AV, thus having Lapierre and Hansen up on the 2nd line...

You will be missed.

#149 L'Orange

L'Orange

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

How is he a bust when he hasn't even had an opportunity? Everyone just needs to calm down. Did you guys know that Iginla is missing camp right now because of a groin injury? I don't think you'll see Flames fans sh!tting all over him.

And to those saying he wasn't training...he was training. He acknowledged that he was in the gym, just not every day. You take one look at that guy and you can tell he has been a gym rat most of his life. To call him out on his fitness seems just ridiculous. Booth's biceps are to Chris Higgins' abs.

I am calm. I just look at his injury history and his sub par play in the playoffs and see a trade that hasn't worked. And now he is out for 4-6 weeks.

How much of an opportunity does a professional need? He has had plenty. And comparing Booth to Iginla is laughable at best. Iginla is a legend and a dedicated captain.

I agree with hockeyville that Booth never seemed to really click with the system, and when he was given a clean bill of health, that he never really attained the level originally determined by Gillis and co. I hope he comes back and proves me wrong, but I don't think so.

Edited by Canuck-a-nuck, 15 January 2013 - 05:28 PM.

Posted Image

#150 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

How about this: you guys go work on becoming worthwhile human beings, gain some confidence and identity, and then perhaps you'll have less of a desire to rail against the American straw man that you've made Booth out to be. It's always the worst among us that are eager to single out and hate on people much more upstanding than themselves.

Phenomenal.

As for Booth, I still like him but I'll admit he's been a little disappointing so far. Still excited to see him when he comes back.

As for the team: Championship teams can persevere through injuries: everybody needs to step up. We still have top-notch first and third lines, defense and goaltending. This actually makes things interesting as far as guys like Kassian and Schroeder are concerned.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.