The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we split up the Sedins for the first month or so?

Bananas

A lot of you seem to think this is like splitting up peanut butter from jam. But I'm here to tell you that it's actually like trying to split up peanut butter from peanut butter.

"Don't split up the Sedins… It would be bad... Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."

—Egon Spengler in Ghostbusters

I'm leaning more towards keeping the Sedins together and dropping Burrows down to the 2nd line for the 1st 2-3 games any way.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Higgins Lapierre Burrows

Raymond Ebbet Hansen

Weiss Malhotra Volpatti

I would also probably keep Shroeder over Volpatti, only because he has been playing in the AHL and his speed will be most problematic for defenders early on when they are not up to speed.

we should pick up Gomez. He has upside. He has decent stats up to two years ago. If he plays with Vancouver he might be a better player. Plus he is a playmaker, so much of a deal was made about him not scoring when he never played a full year and the media jumped on him counting the offseason plus unjury time without scoring. He also drives to the net is a excellent skater plays center and is little to no risk. His upside is higher this year I believe than Ebbett and Schroeder.

Plus he has won a stanley cup and being a playmaker... we really need one for booth and Kesler and Gomez could be signed for 600,000 or something like that so there would be little risk.

Plus I think Gomez is in a position where he has something to prove. Vancouver is a team for players who need a second chance and they seem to reinvent themselves.

So I don't believe we need to split up the sedins.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Raymond Gomez Higgins

Kassian Lapierre Hansen

Archibald Malhotra Weise

Volpati Vandermeer (part time so we can keep him as a defenseman because of the numbers game)

Then Gomez later in the year becomes a utilty player much like Ebbett but Gomez has put up numbers in the nhl and Ebbett has not.

NHL Totals South Surrey Eagles BCHL Statistics Unavailable 1997-98 Tri-City Americans WHL 45 12 37 49 57 -- -- -- -- -- 1998-99 Tri-City Americans WHL 58 30 78 108 55 43 10 6 13 19 31 1999-00 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 19 51 70 78 14 23 4 6 10 4 2000-01 New Jersey Devils NHL 76 14 49 63 46 -1 25 5 9 14 24 2001-02 New Jersey Devils NHL 76 10 38 48 36 -4 -- -- -- -- -- 2002-03 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 13 42 55 48 17 24 3 9 12 2 2003-04 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 14 56 70 70 18 5 0 6 6 0 2004-05 Alaska Aces ECHL 61 13 73 86 69 26 4 1 3 4 4 2005-06 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 33 51 84 42 8 9 5 4 9 6 2006-07 New Jersey Devils NHL 72 13 47 60 42 7 11 4 10 14 14 2007-08 New York Rangers NHL 81 16 54 70 36 3 10 4 7 11 8 2008-09 New York Rangers NHL 77 16 42 58 60 -2 7 2 3 5 4 2009-10 Montreal Canadiens NHL 78 12 47 59 60 1 19 2 12 14 25 2010-11 Montreal Canadiens NHL 80 7 31 38 48 -15 7 0 4 4 2 2011-12 Montreal Canadiens NHL 38 2 9 11 14 -9 -- -- -- -- -- 2012-13 Alaska Aces* ECHL 11 6 7 13 12 4

There's a couple reason for why I say this, the obvious one being that we need a legit second line on the ice, which I'll get to in a minute.

Another reason I say this is because of the whole predicted injury bug. With a shortened season and no exhibition and tiny training camp, it has been predicted that there is going to be a lot of injury trouble this year. You think the goons don't know that? Split up the Sedins so that they can avoid nasty checking and bruising lines, for the most part, and can be partnered with some tougher players in the event of a scrum or sorts. The last hing we want is a Sedin injury.

And of course, the option always remains present if we need to unite them for a shift or two. And they definitely pair up during powerplays, for obvious reasons.

I don't really have anything specific as far as lines suggestions go, but maybe something along the lines of..

Burrows - Henrik - Kassian

Daniel - Lapierre - Hansen

Hansen has had past success with the Sedins, and is one of few players that I believe is going to step it up in the absence of Booth and Kes. And I'm sure we've all heard of Lapierre's 20 extra pounds he put on during lockout.

I'm not saying Lapierre and Kassian will necessarily act as enforcers, but likely slight deterrents. This setup allows the Sedins to avoid these lines by 50%, though, which is a good factor at this stage. It also helps and motivates these players to truly step up their game while Booth and Kes are gone.

There's a couple reason for why I say this, the obvious one being that we need a legit second line on the ice, which I'll get to in a minute.

Another reason I say this is because of the whole predicted injury bug. With a shortened season and no exhibition and tiny training camp, it has been predicted that there is going to be a lot of injury trouble this year. You think the goons don't know that? Split up the Sedins so that they can avoid nasty checking and bruising lines, for the most part, and can be partnered with some tougher players in the event of a scrum or sorts. The last hing we want is a Sedin injury.

And of course, the option always remains present if we need to unite them for a shift or two. And they definitely pair up during powerplays, for obvious reasons.

I don't really have anything specific as far as lines suggestions go, but maybe something along the lines of..

Burrows - Henrik - Kassian

Daniel - Lapierre - Hansen

Hansen has had past success with the Sedins, and is one of few players that I believe is going to step it up in the absence of Booth and Kes. And I'm sure we've all heard of Lapierre's 20 extra pounds he put on during lockout.

I'm not saying Lapierre and Kassian will necessarily act as enforcers, but likely slight deterrents. This setup allows the Sedins to avoid these lines by 50%, though, which is a good factor at this stage. It also helps and motivates these players to truly step up their game while Booth and Kes are gone.

That's just dumb.......that said, I think it's a good opportunity to move Burr of that line to add some punch to a depleted second line.

I'm leaning more towards keeping the Sedins together and dropping Burrows down to the 2nd line for the 1st 2-3 games any way.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Higgins Lapierre Burrows

Raymond Ebbet Hansen

Weiss Malhotra Volpatti

I would also probably keep Shroeder over Volpatti, only because he has been playing in the AHL and his speed will be most problematic for defenders early on when they are not up to speed.

I like this line up but AV will probably do something like:

Danny Henrick Raymond

Higgins Lappierre Burrows

Hansen Ebbet Kassian

Weise Malhotra Volpatti

Hilarious! So many cdc'ers who keep saying "We tried splitting them up, it didn't work. End of story!"

Really?

We NEVER really gave them that much time apart... EVER. A smattering here and there, that is all.

When they were injured though, Henrik did really well with Daniel out, and vice-versa.

So with these things in mind, I just don't understand the arguement for NOT splitting them up while line 2 is injury-riddled.

Your Hilarous, Henrik hasn't missed a game in the last 5-6 years, how can you say "when they we're injured"???  Daniel never played without Henrik in the lineup.

Henrik is the passer, he going to have more success than Daniel, if the player around him finish the play, however Daniel has the shooter/scorer need a good playmaker to feed him.  

Also he's not a high flying scorer like Ovy and Stamkos, so he can't do it alone, specially that he's not that physical either

Terrible idea splitting them up.

Get used to it, we are pretty much the only team in the league that can not afford to split up two players on the first line because, well, if you don't know why, you should probably be following a different sport.

NHL Totals                                                    South Surrey Eagles                            BCHL                            Statistics Unavailable                                                                                                                                                                                             1997-98                            Tri-City Americans                            WHL                            45                            12                            37                            49                            57                                                         --                            --                            --                            --                            --                                            1998-99                            Tri-City Americans                            WHL                            58                            30                            78                            108                            55                            43                            10                            6                            13                            19                            31                                            1999-00                            New Jersey Devils                            NHL                            82                            19                            51                            70                            78                            14                            23                            4                            6                            10                            4                                            2000-01                            New Jersey Devils                            NHL                            76                            14                            49                            63                            46                            -1                            25                            5                            9                            14                            24                                            2001-02                            New Jersey Devils                            NHL                            76                            10                            38                            48                            36                            -4                            --                            --                            --                            --                            --                                            2002-03                            New Jersey Devils                            NHL                            80                            13                            42                            55                            48                            17                            24                            3                            9                            12                            2                                            2003-04                            New Jersey Devils                            NHL                            80                            14                            56                            70                            70                            18                            5                            0                            6                            6                            0                                            2004-05                            Alaska Aces                            ECHL                            61                            13                            73                            86                            69                            26                            4                            1                            3                            4                            4                                            2005-06                            New Jersey Devils                            NHL                            82                            33                            51                            84                            42                            8                            9                            5                            4                            9                            6                                            2006-07                            New Jersey Devils                            NHL                            72                            13                            47                            60                            42                            7                            11                            4                            10                            14                            14                                            2007-08                            New York Rangers                            NHL                            81                            16                            54                            70                            36                            3                            10                            4                            7                            11                            8                                            2008-09                            New York Rangers                            NHL                            77                            16                            42                            58                            60                            -2                            7                            2                            3                            5                            4                                            2009-10                            Montreal Canadiens                            NHL                            78                            12                            47                            59                            60                            1                            19                            2                            12                            14                            25                                            2010-11                            Montreal Canadiens                            NHL                            80                            7                            31                            38                            48                            -15                            7                            0                            4                            4                            2                                            2011-12                            Montreal Canadiens                            NHL                            38                            2                            9                            11                            14                            -9                            --                            --                            --                            --                            --                                            2012-13                            Alaska Aces*                            ECHL                            11                            6                            7                            13                            12                            4

tumblr_mbo6ivmH8Q1qglol7o1_500.gif 

With no 2knd line to speak of; all teams will haveto do is shut down the Twins. And with our top lines biggest player around 185 lbs it takes not a genius to craft how to do that.

<_<

As good as our top line has been; we have died ignoring the match up's that were obviously shutting them down 3 of the last 4 play off years. And we have missed out on how their talent could be used to get more of the team's productivity up.

Detroit constantly rotates playing Zetterburg and Datsyuk together and apart, depending on what creates more problems. The idea is much smarter than some die hard's think!

The issue isn't going with what we know works; its not setting up options because we also know it can be shut down!

:frantic:

We're playing a drastically shortened season. There's no time for fiddle farting around to 'try it out' and see 'what works'.....you go with what does work and do your best to come charging out of the gate.

I like your line combinations. The top line has speed, size, a digger, and an NHL mvp.

What could Higgins and Danny teach Schroeder about the work rate required, and still have someone to play tic tac toe with, dangle and create...

This could do sooooo much to advance the develoment of our rookies!

Burrows - Hank - Kassian

Danny - Schroeder - Higgins

Powerplay:

Danny - Hank- Kassian

Burrows - Schroeder - Higgins

PS: Too bad Jensen decided to stay in Europe. With the injury to Booth, he could have had some nice top 6 minutes. I wonder if he is considering coming over?

I actually like this idea. Our second line is going to struggle big time w/o Kes and Booth and splitting the Twins could remedy the situation until their return. Plus, the Twins would be together on every PP so I see no hurt in this idea at all.

Archived