49 replies to this topic

#1 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

I am sure we've all experienced a few of these I know I have.

************************************************************************************************************
The 10 Most Annoying Concert Behaviors

Put your smartphone away, stop shouting 'Freebird!' and start enjoying the show already

Posted Image

Members of the audience hold up their cellphones while Nicki Minaj performs at HMV Hammersmith Apollo in London, England on June 24th, 2012.

By Andy Greene
January 14, 2013 3:33 PM ET
Going to rock concerts has always meant dealing with a bunch of unruly people, many of them very drunk – but it seems like lately things have been worse than ever. Attention spans are at an all-time low, and the ubiquity of smartphones has resulted in a huge percentage of the audience at any given show barely paying attention to the action onstage. Here are the 10 most annoying behaviors at rock concerts:

1. Taking pictures the entire freaking show.
I get it. You want to show all your friends on Facebook and Twitter that you saw a cool concert. Fine. Take a photo. Take five if you want! But please, don't take 77. You always manage to hold your camera right in my line of sight. You don't even look like you're enjoying the show while you're doing this. All your attention is on the photos. And you know what? Those photos are all going to look like crap. Every single one of them. You're too far away. You'll probably never even look at them. Also, you see those guys right in front of the stage with the giant cameras? They're taking great professional pictures. There's really no need for yours.

2. Checking e-mail, Facebook and Twitter every couple of minutes.
Unless you're a surgeon or a firefighter, everything can wait. Live in the moment. Enjoy the show. You paid good money to be here. You can e-mail your friends when you get home. Also, that cellphone emits a very harsh and distracting glow. For the love of God, just turn it off.

3. Incessantly talking to your friends.
You might not like whatever song is playing. You may be bored with the show in general. You may have been dragged here against your will. But you've been chattering the entire show, and I can hear every word. It's driving me crazy. Please shut up. Please. I can't tell you how many shows I attend where the two people in front of me are yelling in each others' ears the entire night. Not only is my sightline blocked when their heads come together, but I can hear them. Maybe go to a coffee shop when the show is done. Lie under an oak tree and talk until the sun comes up. I don't care. Just quiet down so I can enjoy the show.

4. Yelling out requests.
Look, I hope Morrissey plays "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" also. That would be cool – but stop screaming for it. Most of the time the set list is pre-determined, and you're screaming in my ear. They're going to play what they're going to play. Go along for the ride. And to the guy screaming for a super obscure B-side from 15 years ago? Nobody thinks you're cool.

5. Yelling out "Freebird!"
This request deserves its own subcategory of irritation. This joke has never been funny. Not once. Just stop. It was lame in 1981. Now it's just infuriating.

6. Pushing your way to the front.
If a concert is general admission, the people in front earned their spots. They got there early and laid claim to their space. The people all the way in front might have even spent all day camped out by the doors, so when the lights go off and you shove your way to the front, you're being a huge asshole. Don't do that. If you show up late and there's only room in the back, you've just gotta deal with it.

7. Getting so drunk you puke.
At pretty much any big concert, you'll see a janitor emerge after a couple of songs with a big broom and a bucket of sawdust. It means somebody puked. It's a bummer for the puker, but the people all around have to deal with the aftermath. Don't be the vomit guy. There's no worse kind of person to be at the concert.

8. Loudly complaining after the show because the band didn't play your favorite song.
Not all artists take the Rod Stewart/Billy Joel/Tom Petty approach of "nothing but the hits." Performers like Neil Young or Van Morrison are unpredictable. This is actually a good thing. Try to enjoy the show you're getting as opposed the one you wish you were seeing. Besides, haven't you heard "Brown Eyed Girl" and "Southern Man" enough?

9. Filming the entire show on your iPhone.
This distracts people even worse than taking pictures, and usually results in an equally horrid product. The sad irony is that people tend to film their favorite songs, but the smiles on their faces are gone when all their concentration goes into capturing these moments on film. Tomorrow morning, YouTube will be cluttered with crappy cellphone videos of every song from whatever show you're seeing. There's no need to add to that. You paid good money to see a show, and you're joylessly watching it through a tiny screen on your iPhone. It just doesn't make any sense.

10. Yelling "Sit down!" at people who are standing up.
This is a real problem at theater and arena shows that attract fans over the age of, say, 40. Nobody can quite agree when to stand or when to sit down. Inevitably, there are some people standing right in front of people that wish to remain seated. Between songs, someone will scream "Sit down!" The stander either obliges, or yells back something like "Go frack yourself." The person in the seat just seethes with rage, and the tension seeps through the whole section. Often the person is standing only because someone in front of them is standing. It leads to chaos, and grumpy old people spending the entire show miserable. This has to stop. Here's a simple rule of thumb: If you can't see, stand up. It's very easy. Inversely, if everyone in front of you is seated, sit down. Go with the flow and just relax. We're all in this concert together.

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,665 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

11. People who do nothing but complain about the predictable actions of others at concerts. Just shut up and watch the show.
Posted Image

#3 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Unless you're a surgeon or a firefighter, everything can wait. Live in the moment. Enjoy the show. You paid good money to be here. You can e-mail your friends when you get home. Also, that cellphone emits a very harsh and distracting glow. For the love of God, just turn it off.

This is probably the biggest problem I have with most people, everywhere nowadays.

/=S=/

#4 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

This is the worst list ever! I don't give a flyin' f***c if someone's texting, taking pictures. You don't hear if someone's talking/yelling/complaining. I'm busy moshing!

#5 vancanfan

vancanfan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,516 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

7. Getting so drunk you puke.
At pretty much any big concert, you'll see a janitor emerge after a couple of songs with a big broom and a bucket of sawdust. It means somebody puked. It's a bummer for the puker, but the people all around have to deal with the aftermath. Don't be the vomit guy. There's no worse kind of person to be at the concert.

roflmao

ain't that the truth though

#6 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I would like to add... Lighting up as soon as the lights go out

Just because you enjoy weed, doesn't mean I do. I've got no problem with people who enjoy that sort of thing, but do you have to do it in the middle of a packed concert?
Posted Image

#7 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

1. Taking pictures the entire freaking show.
3. Incessantly talking to your friends.
9. Filming the entire show on your iPhone.

Those are my biggest pet peeves. I don't mind if someone takes a couple pictures of the band/artist or of them and their friends, etc. but honestly, how many photos does it take before you realize they start to all look the same. Rule of thumb to the few concerts I have been too (only like 5), keep your phone in your pocket. Chances are someone has already tagged/tweeted about you being at the concert so why do you need that to constantly pop up.

Just because you enjoy weed, doesn't mean I do. I've got no problem with people who enjoy that sort of thing, but do you have to do it in the middle of a packed concert?

Agreed! Those are times I wish security would just slowly filter in and next thing you know theres more room because they have all been hauled out of the show.

Edited by Russ, 17 January 2013 - 11:27 AM.

Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#8 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Ironically,these are also the top ten complaints of church goers as well...
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#9 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Posted Image

Cell phones are the new cigarette lighters.

#10 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

When going to a concert, especially a festival for, say, heavy metal concerts, you expect unruly behaviour.. so I don't agree with a single one of these, they're things you can simply ignore or deal with. This list seems to be comprised by a nitpicking baby paying more attention to people than the music.

#11 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Cell phones are the new cigarette lighters.

I totally get that but in that case shouldn't the screen be pointed at the stage?

Then again the picture is of people attending a Nicki Minaj concert so they maybe aren't the brightest bulbs.

#12 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,964 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

1 & 6 - guilty

The Killers stopped their show as I politely warded off a drunk idiot falling all over my daughter and her friend.

And, many moons ago I took her to Avril Lavigne (my cousin was her bodyguard, never you mind). Same thing - drunk girls piggy backing us. Spilling vodka all over my daughter's back. Not pretty. Drunks at concerts, while amusing at times, need to respect the personal space rule.

Although, the flip side (the amusing part)....was at Pearl Jam by myself when a very inebriated young man decided to dance and sing right alongside of (and with) me. The snotty girls behind us just weren't enough fun, so he hopped over the seats and crammed himself in beside me. As he spilled booze all over me, stepped on my shoes, etc. he was so very hilariously polite about the whole deal that I just couldn't be upset over it. When Alive came on, the place went crazy and (lol) my new BFF hugged me and gave me an "I love you [man]". Awesome. Made the whole show 10X better. That's how you be a drunk at a show.

Posted Image

#13 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

POPULAR

deb loves avril lavigne

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#14 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,961 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

Ironically,these are also the top ten complaints of church goers as well...

Just 10 of the reasons you somehow "lost the faith"?? .. :rolleyes: .. cracked me up ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#15 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Or how 'bout randomly asking everyone around you if they want a toke?
No lady, I don't know you...............so I definitely don't want to put my mouth on something you just put your mouth on let alone smoke the crap
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#16 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,057 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

0. Smokers.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#17 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

0. Smokers.

lotta smokers at Michael W. Smith shows?

i think that's incense, actually

Edited by GLASSJAW, 17 January 2013 - 03:08 PM.

marge.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#18 Scottish⑦Canuck

Scottish⑦Canuck

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,842 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

10. Yelling "Sit down!" at people who are standing up.
This is a real problem at theater and arena shows that attract fans over the age of, say, 40. Nobody can quite agree when to stand or when to sit down. Inevitably, there are some people standing right in front of people that wish to remain seated. Between songs, someone will scream "Sit down!" The stander either obliges, or yells back something like "Go frack yourself." The person in the seat just seethes with rage, and the tension seeps through the whole section. Often the person is standing only because someone in front of them is standing. It leads to chaos, and grumpy old people spending the entire show miserable. This has to stop. Here's a simple rule of thumb: If you can't see, stand up. It's very easy. Inversely, if everyone in front of you is seated, sit down. Go with the flow and just relax. We're all in this concert together.

Sounds like a Canucks home game.

#19 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

My sister and I go to a fair number of concerts.......and while neither of us smoke weed recreationally, when those in the stands light up, it's a standing joke to say "Breathe deep, it's medicinal" We've accepted that that is a part of the concert experience.......what I do have an issue with is the drunk throwing up in my rented-for-the-evening space. It's the joke in our family that the only one who can't hack people throwing up became a nurse, but she did and when people lose their stomach contents near me at a concert venue, it tends to cast a pall over the experience. The rest of the list.........while annoying....we've come to accept as part of going to a concert with thousands of other people.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#20 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 24,964 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

deb loves avril lavigne

I spit coffee out laughing when I saw this, thanks. :)

Posted Image

#21 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

My sister and I go to a fair number of concerts.......and while neither of us smoke weed recreationally, when those in the stands light up, it's a standing joke to say "Breathe deep, it's medicinal" We've accepted that that is a part of the concert experience.......what I do have an issue with is the drunk throwing up in my rented-for-the-evening space. It's the joke in our family that the only one who can't hack people throwing up became a nurse, but she did and when people lose their stomach contents near me at a concert venue, it tends to cast a pall over the experience. The rest of the list.........while annoying....we've come to accept as part of going to a concert with thousands of other people.

While I accept weed clouds as inevitable, I still don't like it. That crap has to be one of the worst smells out there. And that's saying something considering I used to clean septic tanks for a living.

As for throwing up, you reminded me of a story. A number of years back, my wife and I were on a packed C-Train departing the Calgary Stampede. And by packed, I mean shoulder-to-shoulder, not an inch to move anywhere. That is, until some guy lost his lunch at his seat. Magically there was suddenly plenty of room on the train for everyone to get away from the puking guy. :lol:
Posted Image

#22 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

While I accept weed clouds as inevitable, I still don't like it. That crap has to be one of the worst smells out there. And that's saying something considering I used to clean septic tanks for a living.

I don't know how you can say weed is one of the worst smelling things out there. You'd say that you would rather smell:
Cigarette Smoke
Urine / Fermenting Crap
Obsessive BO
Rotting Stuff (whether it be roadkill, food, etc)
Puke?
I highly doubt that. Depending on what kind of concert you're going to, I can understand being upset with a weed cloud. But you step foot in any sort of post 2000's music group (which I'm assuming you are), it's inevitable that it's going to be there.
I understand you accept it being there, but I'm just saying, I call BS on one of the worst smelling things out there.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#23 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,537 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Just 10 of the reasons you somehow "lost the faith"?? .. :rolleyes: .. cracked me up ..

Nah, I lost faith when I realized the theology couldn't deliver on its promises.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#24 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

I work at the Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre, and listen to me please: stop puking all over the place! Seriously, concerts are disgusting.

Posted Image

#25 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,126 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

I call BS on one of the worst smelling things out there.

That's a pretty good list, but I did say 'one of' and not just 'the worst'. I personally can't stand the smell of it. I did admit that I accept it as part of the concert experience. I just happen to find it annoying, which is what the original article was about.
Posted Image

#26 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

Chances are far higher of you breathing in cigarette smoke than weed at a concert in the first place.

If you want to avoid cigarette/weed smoke, or are one of the sensitive types, go to a Justin Bieber concert.

Edited by zaibatsu, 17 January 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#27 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

That's a pretty good list, but I did say 'one of' and not just 'the worst'. I personally can't stand the smell of it. I did admit that I accept it as part of the concert experience. I just happen to find it annoying, which is what the original article was about.

I'm sorry I elaborated. :( It seems you now have to deal with nitpickers.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 17 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#28 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,295 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

Sounds like a Canucks home game.

As it should. I don't care after a goal but it gets super annoying when people start standing up as they are about to score perfectly timing their getting in your way for that one second of the goal being scored.

Not that it matters this season to me.

#29 Harbinger

Harbinger

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,198 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

1 & 6 - guilty

The Killers stopped their show as I politely warded off a drunk idiot falling all over my daughter and her friend.

And, many moons ago I took her to Avril Lavigne (my cousin was her bodyguard, never you mind). Same thing - drunk girls piggy backing us. Spilling vodka all over my daughter's back. Not pretty. Drunks at concerts, while amusing at times, need to respect the personal space rule.

Although, the flip side (the amusing part)....was at Pearl Jam by myself when a very inebriated young man decided to dance and sing right alongside of (and with) me. The snotty girls behind us just weren't enough fun, so he hopped over the seats and crammed himself in beside me. As he spilled booze all over me, stepped on my shoes, etc. he was so very hilariously polite about the whole deal that I just couldn't be upset over it. When Alive came on, the place went crazy and (lol) my new BFF hugged me and gave me an "I love you [man]". Awesome. Made the whole show 10X better. That's how you be a drunk at a show.

personal space rule? I have never heard of such a thing. If you are looking for a place to sit where no one will bother you try the upper bowl. Lower bowl and floor. Anything goes. I go to a lot of concerts. The rule is simple. If you are on the floor, It's jump when everyone around you jumps. If you need to go anywhere get your elbows up. If someone is injured get them to the front so they can be thrown over the fence to the security. Other than that, It's a free for all.

Posted Image

#30 My Account

My Account

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

6. Pushing your way to the front.
If a concert is general admission, the people in front earned their spots. They got there early and laid claim to their space. The people all the way in front might have even spent all day camped out by the doors, so when the lights go off and you shove your way to the front, you're being a huge asshole. Don't do that. If you show up late and there's only room in the back, you've just gotta deal with it.

Guilty but people leave so much room and for some GA it is just a draw to see who goes in first no camping needed I will just slip into the open space you left it is your fault
Posted Image

Thanks avelanch for the sick signature

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.