434 replies to this topic

#391 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Schroeder had the best game out of all of them. Schneider was great. I think Kassian also had a decent game, I hope he has a breakout season this year.

EDIT: I also think that Schroeder should be the 2nd line center NO DOUBT!

Edited by Danthecanucksfan, 17 January 2013 - 10:56 PM.

#392 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

You couldn't be more wrong, this guy got literially no training time, none whatsoever last year. It was rehab then he stepped in not at 100% and was always a step behind, this year he got a full training session in and will be much better.

- He brings faceoffs (arguably the best faceoff guy in the league)
- he is a huge leader on the team
- great PK guy/shot blocker
- solid defensive/shut down guy
- skates well
- extremely hard worker
- loaded with heart, loaded with character
- reliable defensive center
- better offensively than you think
- He can forecheck
- and he can hit

You don't throw away players like that, his cap hit is a little high but isn't an issue, this guy is a great 4th line center but IMO he has the ability to move back up onto that 3rd line, people discredit how badly that injury affected his training last year and how much training he put in this year. We can take his cap hit on. And if Schroeder is a 3C with Kes and Booth back this is where he fits:

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Raymond
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Manny - Lappy - Kassian
Weise

Manny can play LW, this was another reason he was so attractive on July 1st when we picked him up.

I heard all this intangibles argument all season last year. What you described there is a great player, but thats not the Malhotra of last season.

Im not arguing that he WAS a good 3rd line center 2 years ago, but last year he was the worst player on the Canucks. If that had been anybody not named Malhotra he would've been waived along time ago.

His days of 'shutting down' players is long gone, the only thing that gets shutdown when he's on the ice are his linemates. The guy is an offensive blackhole, you should watch him in the offensive zone just stand there without a clue what to do.

All the other things you mentioned Weise can do. Weise fits the 4th line role more than Malhotra.

#393 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,237 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Yeah I was wondering too, he did wear 19 in Collage, then 23 when he joined the Moose, and now 18, none of which are avaliable.

I think Barker's regular # is 25, so maybe he will get that number and JS will get 18, although if not who knows.

Why wouldn't 18 be available?

Tanev switched to 8.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#394 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

Tanev switched to 8.

Barker's got 18 for now

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#395 Laoag

Laoag

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Schroeder and Raymond styles fit really nicely together, Kassian adds a nice dimension to the line aswell.

I think we have our 2nd line center.

either Raymond is going to wake up this year or schroeder makes him look friggen good. looks like we have a good little play maker here!

#396 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,247 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

Tanev switched to 8.

Apparently Barker has it, although I think he normally wears 25 (Which is avaliable) so I would think that maybe their is a possibility he would switch to 25 then Schroeder could take 18.

Who knows though.

either Raymond is going to wake up this year or schroeder makes him look friggen good. looks like we have a good little play maker here!

Yeah I can't believe people doubted him, I have seen this all season, glad to see Raymond has woken up too, I'm excited to see what they can do against Anaheim.

zackass.png

#397 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,247 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

I heard all this intangibles argument all season last year. What you described there is a great player, but thats not the Malhotra of last season.

Im not arguing that he WAS a good 3rd line center 2 years ago, but last year he was the worst player on the Canucks. If that had been anybody not named Malhotra he would've been waived along time ago.

His days of 'shutting down' players is long gone, the only thing that gets shutdown when he's on the ice are his linemates. The guy is an offensive blackhole, you should watch him in the offensive zone just stand there without a clue what to do.

All the other things you mentioned Weise can do. Weise fits the 4th line role more than Malhotra.

How are those days gone? I think you are missing the clear fact that he missed his entire summer training, couldn't do anything, nothing, you think it's fair to label him useless cause he was put in that situation, he has actually got his training in this year and will be alot better. He is better than Weise, and Volpatti, he is a better option than anyone else available then he brings heart, character, faceoff ability and PK ability, those are all things he brings more so than anyone else you mentioned and are vital keys to playoff success.

Also not sure how you can label a 4th liner who barley plays our worst player last year.

zackass.png

#398 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

And Damn; was in Vancouver till last week wednesday for the first time in 4 years! Still, AWSOME move by teams that are having these public scrimmages!

Gotta say; the vids of the kids dancing at last nights scrimmage pumped me up.

The arena staff are all class by the way. I took my kids to the arena last tuesday because my daughter wanted to "touch" the arena. They told me tours were wednesday, but we were going to be on a plane back to Oz. But the receptionist could not resist my little girl hugging the arena in her Canucks jersey.

She had the security guard give us a personal tour. My younger daughter, who was born in Edmonchuck, converted to being a Canucks fan. She said there was no way the Oilers could be so nice.

Being a Canuck hockey fan is awsome

She slept with the Henrik doll we got her every night since! :lol: (The older one is more cautious with her Kesler; boy germs :rolleyes:)

They did. That for me as well when I was younger! Was so fun to see the arena!

#399 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Raymond, Schroeder and Ice Man Schneider 3 : 0 Luongo and the 1st unit and defensive pairing (Lapierre did pretty well in breaking out against the 1st line)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#400 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,060 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

How was Kassian?

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#401 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

How was Kassian?

Chewed on his stick.

He was good, created the space needed for his line to succeed. He wasn't on the stat sheet unfortunately.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#402 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,304 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

How was Kassian?

Solid. Showed good passing ability, made some decent plays with Schroeder and Raymond. Drove hard to the net which was a big part of one of Raymonds goals. If he can play like tonight (albeit, more physical, but you dont want to kill your teammates) all year the points will come.

Posted Image

#403 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

How are those days gone? I think you are missing the clear fact that he missed his entire summer training, couldn't do anything, nothing, you think it's fair to label him useless cause he was put in that situation, he has actually got his training in this year and will be alot better. He is better than Weise, and Volpatti, he is a better option than anyone else available then he brings heart, character, faceoff ability and PK ability, those are all things he brings more so than anyone else you mentioned and are vital keys to playoff success.

Also not sure how you can label a 4th liner who barley plays our worst player last year.

Yes he missed and entire summer of training, but he also played 78 games last season, surely thats enough games to off the rust isnt it??

All this talk about 'heart' and 'character' im not arguing, but that does not translate into a good player. Are you trying to tell me Weise and Volpatti dont have heart and character?

Having Malhotra and his god like character and skills translate to playoff success? If my memory is correct, we got to the SCF without his faceoff skills and his other intagibles.

#404 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

I hope that Schroeder and Kassasin become our version of Getzaf and Perry....They were around the same age and won the cup the same year after the Lockout! Let hope for the same results.....

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#405 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

Highlights.

Posted Image

#406 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Schroeder was so much better than Ebbett that I fully expect him to be sent down and AV to give Ebbett the 2nd line C job. Haven't we seen that happen every camp that AV has been the coach?

#407 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

You couldn't be more wrong, this guy got literially no training time, none whatsoever last year. It was rehab then he stepped in not at 100% and was always a step behind, this year he got a full training session in and will be much better.

- He brings faceoffs (arguably the best faceoff guy in the league)
- he is a huge leader on the team
- great PK guy/shot blocker
- solid defensive/shut down guy
- skates well
- extremely hard worker
- loaded with heart, loaded with character
- reliable defensive center
- better offensively than you think
- He can forecheck
- and he can hit

You don't throw away players like that, his cap hit is a little high but isn't an issue, this guy is a great 4th line center but IMO he has the ability to move back up onto that 3rd line, people discredit how badly that injury affected his training last year and how much training he put in this year. We can take his cap hit on. And if Schroeder is a 3C with Kes and Booth back this is where he fits:

Booth - Kesler - Raymond
Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen
Manny - Lappy - Kassian
Weise

Manny can play LW, this was another reason he was so attractive on July 1st when we picked him up.

Or, given Schroeder's speed, you could easily slot him in on Kesler's RW with Booth/Raymond on LW. His first step is what separates him from CoHo, who couldn't cut it with Kesler & Booth because of that issue.

I don't like weakening the shutdown line of Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen by giving it an identity crisis since all three of those guys are at their best when they're checking the opposition into the ground. I'd prefer moving Schroeder to Kesler's wing and give the Ozone starts.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#408 Spotted Zebra

Spotted Zebra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

I hope that Schroeder and Kassasin become our version of Getzaf and Perry....They were around the same age and won the cup the same year after the Lockout! Let hope for the same results.....

There's no way Schroeder is even comparable to Getz, his fair follicles are still growing.

But seriously, a Better comparisson is Brendan Morrison, will never be able to carry a line himself, but a wonderful skater, and passer
Posted Image
Thanks Vintage Canuck!

#409 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,247 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yes he missed and entire summer of training, but he also played 78 games last season, surely thats enough games to off the rust isnt it??

All this talk about 'heart' and 'character' im not arguing, but that does not translate into a good player. Are you trying to tell me Weise and Volpatti dont have heart and character?

Having Malhotra and his god like character and skills translate to playoff success? If my memory is correct, we got to the SCF without his faceoff skills and his other intagibles.

Manny has more heart and Character than both.

It is time to take off the rust and perhaps play your way into shape but he was always a step behind.

- he was rusty, everyone was ready to go.
- when he was ready to go and in shape, everyone else was in mid-season form
- When he was in mid season form, everyone was in playoff mode.

It gave him an unfair step behind, this year he won't have that and will be a much better player even though I thought he wasn't terrible last season.

Those things alone (heart and character) don't make a good player, but when you apply those things to the skillset Manny has, it makes a good valuable player. I don't see anyreason to waive him, he is an upgrade on Ebbett, Weise, Volpatti, exc.

Or, given Schroeder's speed, you could easily slot him in on Kesler's RW with Booth/Raymond on LW. His first step is what separates him from CoHo, who couldn't cut it with Kesler & Booth because of that issue.

I don't like weakening the shutdown line of Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen by giving it an identity crisis since all three of those guys are at their best when they're checking the opposition into the ground. I'd prefer moving Schroeder to Kesler's wing and give the Ozone starts.

Yeah I see what you mean, that crossed my mind aswell, personally I would give Raymond the top 6 spot though he seems like a new Raymond honestly.

I know this isn't exactly the way to line-up your roster but I really like the chemistry Raymond and Schroeder have to how about:

Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Manny - Lappy - Hansen

I know that's not ideal cause Hansen and Lappy aren't 4th line players but this would give us a shutdown line, we have the Amex line, then Kassian, Raymond, JS that looked really good, and of course the top line, and in certain situations we can give the 4th line (or 3B Line) more time and more importance.

I do understand it isn't ideal but it when you break down chemistry and roles exc. It makes some sense, but doubtful something like that would happen though. What do you think? Interesting Idea?

zackass.png

#410 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Felt friggin great at the scrimmage. Damn good to have hockey back. DAMN GOOD I tell you!
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#411 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 22,992 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Totally enjoyed that. Glad I stood my ground with the Raymond haters awhile back. That hit he took was right in front of us - not cool.

Loved Burr working over Corrado in front of the net.

Bring on Saturday!!

(agree PC....Stranglehold sounded great)

Posted Image

#412 AFrame14

AFrame14

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

checked out the highlights.. where the eff has raymond been? shreoder and mason seem to have found some chemistry. lets all hope they can play this well when the season starts cuz we all know we need them too
NUCKS FOR THE CUP

#413 HorseGem2007

HorseGem2007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

The oilers hit up an outdoor rink the other day and played for fans.. I thought that was pretty awesome of them

Yeah I hear Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park is frozen :bigblush:
" OnceUgotItUpKeepItUp "

Burr Kes Higgy
#14 #17 #20

YOU CAN PLAY ... Gay athletes. Straight allies. Teaming up for respect: http://youcanplayproject.org/

#414 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,444 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Yeah I see what you mean, that crossed my mind aswell, personally I would give Raymond the top 6 spot though he seems like a new Raymond honestly.

I know this isn't exactly the way to line-up your roster but I really like the chemistry Raymond and Schroeder have to how about:

Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian
Manny - Lappy - Hansen

I know that's not ideal cause Hansen and Lappy aren't 4th line players but this would give us a shutdown line, we have the Amex line, then Kassian, Raymond, JS that looked really good, and of course the top line, and in certain situations we can give the 4th line (or 3B Line) more time and more importance.

I do understand it isn't ideal but it when you break down chemistry and roles exc. It makes some sense, but doubtful something like that would happen though. What do you think? Interesting Idea?

Sure, when things go stale this would be a great mix to shake things up.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#415 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:18 AM

I just like all of you, am very hockey starved but we must not forget that this is a
Scrimmage
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#416 Milk Hot Dog

Milk Hot Dog

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Oh my giddy AV! Raymond can score? Hope he keeps it up.
Nobody beats our Canucks' meat !

I don't typically make New Year's Resolutions, but the one thing I want to accomplish in 2012, aka the year of the MILK HOT DOG, is to ARREST SOMEONE. - Kevin WOLVERINE Bieksa (BEE-ecks-ah)

#417 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,247 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:27 AM

Can't wait to hear Ferraro and Botchford eat their words tommorow morning on the team about Raymond, Schroeder and Kassian after bashing them this morning and for the better part of the last week.

zackass.png

#418 HorseGem2007

HorseGem2007

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:35 AM

Was at the scrimmage game
Like what I saw overall
Definately was impressed with the line of Schroeder/Raymond/Kassian
Never been a fan of MayRay but he was great to watch this evening, hope the hat trick was not the only goals will see from him this season. Now I expect more from him :towel: Kass fits well with MayRay & Schroeder
But this was a scrimmage game and won't be the same when they get their first real opponent.
Can't wait for the back to back weekend games of Ducks & Flames

GO Canucks GO

Edited by HorseGem2007, 18 January 2013 - 12:37 AM.

" OnceUgotItUpKeepItUp "

Burr Kes Higgy
#14 #17 #20

YOU CAN PLAY ... Gay athletes. Straight allies. Teaming up for respect: http://youcanplayproject.org/

#419 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,237 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:06 AM

Barker's got 18 for now

Somehow I don't see Barker beating out Tanev, Alberts, and Vandermeer.

I think he'll be sent down to the Wolves, freeing up 18 for Schroeder.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#420 fagin

fagin

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

I guess Lu made more saves in the shootout :D

....Yeh unlike the last scrimmage that you all so conveniently forget,where Schneider was beaten 4 out of 5 and Lou got the shutout.....fanboys lol !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.