Good signing. Lp

#242 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I hope he doesn't turn into Bambi full-time now....
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#243 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

I know I noticed that too.

I also hate how Sportsnet showed the highlights of the Bulls/Ice Dogs game, then talked about the game for a bit and the only time they even mentioned Gaunce was when they showed the highlight of his goal in the highlight package.

The guy had 4 points and a great game and they don't even bring it up! They mentioned Gaovac's 4 pt game game and even talked about Jordan Subban, and Silas but didn't mention 1 word about Gaunce.

If this was a Leafs prospect they would spend half an hour on his game alone.

Since they (SN & TSN) are our only real sportnetwork options, the bias kinda pisses me off sometimes but I guess we gotta just let it roll off our backs.

Roll it off your back is exactly the right thing to do. These kinda things shouldn't frustrate Canucks fans.

Just think, IF Aquilini owned TSN and SPSN like Leafs parent company does then it would be all Canucks all the time too.

All the so called analysts are tripping over each other to talk about Leafs in order to suck up to their bosses. Some ofcourse are worse than others.

Canucks have never gotten a fair shake from the eastern media but now its just ridiculous. Only thing to do is look at the standings and rejoice.

Edited by WHL rocks, 19 January 2013 - 11:10 AM.

#244 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Edler is better than Phaneuf, Campbell, Boyle and Myers for alittle while still.

#245 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,676 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

Edler is better than Phaneuf, Campbell, Boyle and Myers for alittle while still.

I would take Edler over all but Myers. But, that's a gamble for size and potential too.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#246 The Big Luongo

The Big Luongo

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

This is a bit of a risky move and i am sure canucks management knows it.

The good Edler see's the ice well, passes well, hits hard and has the booming shot with room to grow being he is still young.

The bad Edler thoughout his career is soft when the going gets tough, known to make many brain cramps and mental errors, struggles with positioning, gets caught up ice, misses the net far too often and clumsy holding the line.

Also the fact that he has had back problems at such a young age and the fact he has the ntc for so many years this isn't as slam dunk of a great deal that most think.

Only time will tell whether this was a smart or a foolish signing.

#247 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,323 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Roll it off your back is exactly the right thing to do. These kinda things shouldn't frustrate Canucks fans.

Just think, IF Aquilini owned TSN and SPSN like Leafs parent company does then it would be all Canucks all the time too.

All the so called analysts are tripping over each other to talk about Leafs in order to suck up to their bosses. Some ofcourse are worse than others.

Canucks have never gotten a fair shake from the eastern media but now its just ridiculous. Only thing to do is look at the standings and rejoice.

And it always feels so good.

But could you imagine if we actually had a sports network that favored us... Man that would be sweet.

Oh well, things are the way they are, can't change it.

zackass.png

#248 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

If we had more of our d corps free to trade as we pleased we could have opened the door to have gotten Schultz in the offseason.

So, can you tell me which d-man you want Schultz to replace? Bieksa? Hamhuis? Garrison? or Edler? For a team that is in a "win now" attitude, it would be best to keep the aforementioned players rather than have an unproven prospect. (Please, don't tell me about how Schultz dominated the AHL. First, he did this after signing his contract and dominating the AHL doesn't mean much in the NHL)

If MG really wanted Schultz he would have promised him ice time, but of course, MG is smarter than to offer an unproven, young rookie ice time on a contending team. Not to mention, MG could have traded away Ballard, Tanev or Alberts if he wanted to make room for Schultz...............
Sig too big.

#249 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Awesome. Great signing. Good term. Maybe even took a bit of a paycut to stay. All around good job.

#250 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

This is a bit of a risky move and i am sure canucks management knows it.

The good Edler see's the ice well, passes well, hits hard and has the booming shot with room to grow being he is still young.

The bad Edler thoughout his career is soft when the going gets tough, known to make many brain cramps and mental errors, struggles with positioning, gets caught up ice, misses the net far too often and clumsy holding the line.

Also the fact that he has had back problems at such a young age and the fact he has the ntc for so many years this isn't as slam dunk of a great deal that most think.

Only time will tell whether this was a smart or a foolish signing.

This strikes me as a rather generic statement.

There is a risk with every single player that they suffer an injury that doesn't allow them to perform at their peak.

Teams would have lined up to take a bigger risk.

Not only that, but Edler leaving money on the table means that Gillis has more to work with and that money will wind up going to his team-mates who don't make as much - that's a pretty considerable give-back that makes his team better and his team-mates appreciate his commitment to the team.

I like the implications when it comes to re-signing a guy like Higgins who I would hate to lose because of cap space.

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 01:58 PM.

#251 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

sign and trade

sign and trade

When was the last time a sign and trade happened in the NHL? Or in sports in general? Horrible taste. You'd have to be a sociopath to do that to someone.

#252 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

When was the last time a sign and trade happened in the NHL? Or in sports in general? Horrible taste. You'd have to be a sociopath to do that to someone.

The only one I can remember is the Chris Bosh sign and trade to Miami a couple years ago.
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#253 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,772 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

This strikes me as a rather generic statement.

There is a risk with every single player that they suffer an injury that doesn't allow them to perform at their peak.

Teams would have lined up to take a bigger risk.

Not only that, but Edler leaving money on the table means that Gillis has more to work with and that money will wind up going to his team-mates who don't make as much - that's a pretty considerable give-back that makes his team better and his team-mates appreciate his commitment to the team.

I like the implications when it comes to re-signing a guy like Higgins who I would hate to lose because of cap space.

The Big L has been somewhat critical of Edler all along. I as well have grave concerns over his defensive capability, hockey smarts, and top end speed. However, with the dollar value and lack of good defenders available this is a good signing.

I just hope Edler is able to improve and become a consistent defender that doesn't fall apart at opportune moments.
There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#254 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

The video of Edler beating Nabokov is a sweet move, alongside with those of Giroux, Letang, and others.
Posted Image

#255 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Last January SJS traded Devin Setoguchi to MIN 1 day after signing him to a 3 year contract.

The only one I can remember is the Chris Bosh sign and trade to Miami a couple years ago.

NBA sign and trades are different. The player is involved as he is allowed to sign for longer term and more money with his own team. Usually if he doesn't want to stay a trade is worked out with the players team of choice and he is signed and traded.

The new CBA might bring this kinda scenario into the NHL as well. Term of 8 years own player vs 7 year other teams player rule.

#256 Where's Wellwood

Where's Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Has it been confirmed or not whether Edler's new contract includes a NTC/NMC?
Posted Image
Credit to khalifawiz501 for the sig.
My old sig: http://tinypic.com/v...=5#.UlSrrlAWJ7U

#257 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

Has it been confirmed or not whether Edler's new contract includes a NTC/NMC?

It includes a NTC. No NMC.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#258 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,903 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

It includes a NTC. No NMC.

Aren't NMCs sort of moot now? Not likely to see many big earners buried in the AHL for $900,000 in cap savings.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#259 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Elder is a good player but I don't see how $5M per year is a discount. I would think it's on the high end of fair and the Canucks overpaid a little to keep him. For those suggesting he's better than Phaneuf I will agree once Edler makes an all star game or two.

#260 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

Elder is a good player but I don't see how $5M per year is a discount. I would think it's on the high end of fair and the Canucks overpaid a little to keep him. For those suggesting he's better than Phaneuf I will agree once Edler makes an all star game or two.

Lets just say he didn't pull a Subban and hold out for more money.

Did he take a discount? Maybe not so much. But he did sign a fair deal that works for both sides. Which all Canucks fans should be happy about.

Posted Image

#261 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

::D

Posted Image

Edited by oldnews, 19 January 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#262 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,854 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:32 PM

^^^ Exactly!

For those suggesting he's better than Phaneuf I will agree once Edler makes an all star game or two.

One down, one to go!

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 19 January 2013 - 07:34 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#263 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Just one way of evaluating Edler's 'worth' - he was 15th last season in Norris voting - which would put his salary at $6 million by NHL defensemen salary standards.

#264 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Just one way of evaluating Edler's 'worth' - he was 15th last season in Norris voting - which would put his salary at $6 million by NHL defensemen salary standards.

Before or after the cap drp though. That's the whole thing.

When you factor that in, I would say Edler took a small discount. Maybe like 250k or so.

But at the same time, who knows what the new free agent market will look like next summer.

Posted Image

#265 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

When you factor that in, I would say Edler took a small discount. Maybe like 250k or so.

But at the same time, who knows what the new free agent market will look like next summer.

Speaking of free agents, Kimmo Timonen and Ryan Whitney are the two best UFA Ds next summer, and it drops off very shortly after that.

That's why its such a big discount. There would've been 15 teams after him (at least), and his salary would've been upwards of 6 million, guaranteed (as long as he's his normal self this year)

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#266 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,151 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Don't see that as as much of a factor - yes the cap drops, but there was no rollback, and all those pre-cba contracts remain on the same terms - not to mention teams like Philly and Detroit that will be definitely looking to add... given the recent signings, particulary Suter, I think it was at least a million dollar discount - just my opinion though. I think top 4 blueliners will continue to be big tickets.

Edited by oldnews, 20 January 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#267 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,168 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

Gillis said today in the intermission that Edler "worked hard to get the dollar amount to the lowest possible" (whatever..), but also that Edler would have been 'by far' the most sought after UFA defenseman next summer. Obviously that would have inflated his value... I bet on the UFA market after another successful season he COULD have gotten 6.5 million per year (with certain years loaded or whatever) or something if he wanted to maximize his dollar value. I think 5 million is definitely a good deal for Edler.

#268 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

That's why its such a big discount. There would've been 15 teams after him (at least), and his salary would've been upwards of 6 million, guaranteed (as long as he's his normal self this year)

He's on pace for 48 goals!! $7m at least!! :bigblush:
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#269 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

He's on pace for 48 goals!! $7m at least!! :bigblush:

I think you mean Garrison is on his way to 48 Goals, Edler is getting 96 and the Norris :bigblush:
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#270 Joffrey Lupul

Joffrey Lupul

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,358 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

I lol'd

Such a bandwaggoner who knows nothing about our team

2zi66q8.jpgnv20o20imarksmanx_zpsb4f8b662.jpg?55

small.pngGM - STHS Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.