The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nino Niederreiter wants out?

The Islanders are such a terrible organization.

Hire a real GM not a back-up goalie with little to no management experience.

The amount of top players they could and have drafted in the past 15 years, they should be icing all-star teams by now.

I do not think we possess the bargaining chips that it would require for us to get a player like Nino - or at least not pieces we are prepared to part with without damaging our "core". Not like its's going to be Raymond, Ballard + 2nd...

If we want to trade for him, then I don't think Luongo will be part of that. I highly doubt he would want to go to the Islanders of all teams...

He also didn't like how he was traded by the organization back then. Even though Milbury is long gone, I doubt he would want to go back. I guess he could go back and laugh at DiPietro..?

If we want to trade for him, then I don't think Luongo will be part of that. I highly doubt he would want to go to the Islanders of all teams...

He also didn't like how he was traded by the organization back then. Even though Milbury is long gone, I doubt he would want to go back. I guess he could go back and laugh at DiPietro..?

Tough package to gauge. They seem fairly set on D after all their waiver wire pickups, and I don't know that we'd want to take on DiPietro and Vis for all the issues they have.

Perhaps:

Luongo*, Ballard, Rodin (or Grenier if they want some size?)

for

Niederreiter, Streit, 1st

I originally thought Wishart so we could have him as depth in the AHL but they'd likely want cap to be going the other way as well so I included Streit even if he is a big piece to get back (although pending UFA at 35 years old). Visnovski doesn't exactly fit that bill unless they think he really won't play for them since he's only paid $3M this year but the Islanders get to make use of his $5.6M cap hit. DiPietro is just too much for me to think Aquilini would be ok with taking him on and then buying him out in the summer, even if he might be ok as a backup for Schneider.

Everyone else is on reasonable contracts so that brings me to the '*' beside Luongo's name. We could keep a portion of his salary while he plays for the Isles and allow them his full cap hit. They'd still have to find something to do with DiPietro and I don't think they can afford to buy him out, so that's the snag, but maybe it's possible.

Otherwise it'd have to be a deal without Luongo (he wouldn't likely waive his NTC for Brooklyn anyway), say Neiderreiter for Rodin or Grenier and a 2nd.

The Islanders are such a terrible organization.

Hire a real GM not a back-up goalie with little to no management experience.

The amount of top players they could and have drafted in the past 15 years, they should be icing all-star teams by now.

Archived