The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 5.0

But Schneider doesn't need a mentor. The technicality of goaltending (Smurf47) of Schneider is beyond any mentor's ability. Mr. Know-it-all SmashianKassian swears by this ultimately perfect, flawless, young, contractually sound goaltender who cannot make a mistake.

(Luongo is pushing Schneider to be better. Take Luongo out, lose Schneider)

When's the last time we heard of a GM, a coach, players or a goaltender himself say: "I have to be better", "I have to play better"? If the answer is pre-Luongo, you are right.

Did you watch Afterhours? Luongo pretty clearly said that Schneider has made him better - that his calmness and poise has rubbed off. They've made each other better - simple as that. No need to keep beating this Schneider vs Luongo drum - they're team-mates, they both want to play and win, and they aren't small enough to envy each other's strengths.

i just finished the whole thing.. wow, what great insight on the whole situation. that is pretty much how ive been viewing it lately. The part i really like was when gillis talked about how people and media have underestimated the character of both goalies and i fully agree. We're seeing luongo show his lighter fun side these days and this hasnt been a distraction in the locker room at all.

Mike Gillis is going to give ken holland's legacy a run for its money. Go ahead and flame away but mark my words, he will be up there with him in 10 years

But Schneider doesn't need a mentor. The technicality of goaltending (Smurf47) of Schneider is beyond any mentor's ability. Mr. Know-it-all SmashianKassian swears by this ultimately perfect, flawless, young, contractually sound goaltender who cannot make a mistake.

When's the last time we heard of a GM, a coach, players or a goaltender himself say: "I have to be better", "I have to play better"? If the answer is pre-Luongo, you are right.

Yeah, well I can hear you crying every time someone doesn't buy Corsi as the be all and end all.

Oh I never watched the game, but I did compare the advanced statistics; LOL

Look, Lou might think he has enough power to take his $60 mill contract and lie on the beach in Florida? His timing suggests he does not like being upstaged?!? Maybe he feels he was promised the reigns when he signed, and he feels let down. But its clear he would prefer to be somewhere else.

Aren't you the guy who stood stronger than anyone saying Hodgson had to go because he wanted out? Oh wait, it was Corsi...

:picard:

Call it whatever you want - it looks like you're full of crap though.

The one thing I heard Gillis say that I think indicated what a deal must include if it is to happen this season was the part where he referred to being

"strong down the middle - may have a weakness there in a couple spots..."

Judging by that I'd guess that a deal would have to include an affordable, viable 3C - a two way guy with shutdown abilities, who has potential 2C tweener/upside if Kesler's health can't be assumed. Obviously Couturier is ideal if talking Philly (inb4 Smashian's 147th insistence that he knows who is and is not "available"), a guy like Goc imo as one part of a Florida deal (good affordable depth piece but lots of value remaining for futures in a deal), Toronto's roster players are a tough sell and they have no extra depth at C, Washington is even more difficult to find a good fit imo... I think Florida can actually afford a deal, while Philly has a roadblock, so what Gillis wants and who can provide it will require patience.

im surprised at how well this entire season has been working. Like really, i thought at least raymond and Ballard would be crapping the bed by now lol.. both have been great, kassian is better than i thought he would be this early.... ok schroeder is too small and has to be a bust, right?... WRONG! haha he's been awesome too. even weise and pattie have been killin it

Im a pretty optimistic guy but i wasnt that optimistic. Im starting to not believe in karma, how do we burn the city down 2 yrs ago and still end up with this good fortune?

Yeah, well I can hear you crying every time someone doesn't buy Corsi as the be all and end all.

Oh I never watched the game, but I did compare the advanced statistics; LOL

Look, Lou might think he has enough power to take his $60 mill contract and lie on the beach in Florida? His timing suggests he does not like being upstaged?!? Maybe he feels he was promised the reigns when he signed, and he feels let down. But its clear he would prefer to be somewhere else.

Aren't you the guy who stood stronger than anyone saying Hodgson had to go because he wanted out? Oh wait, it was Corsi...

:picard:

Im pretty much the same, I laughed at Schroeder, I called him a midget on several occasions.

Hated the idea of Luongo staying calling him every name in the book. I think i said id be happy if we acquired Yasin's negotiating rights for him hahah.

I can always laugh about it and gladly admit I'm wrong, I pretty happy I'm not the GM, we'd be screwed.

Always had a soft spot for Ballard and Raymond, Volpatti is probably my favourite Canuck right now.

im surprised at how well this entire season has been working. Like really, i thought at least raymond and ballard would be crapping the bed by now lol.. both have been great, kassian is better than i thought he would be this early.... ok schroeder is too small and has to be a bust, right?... WRONG! haha he's been awesome too. even weise and pattie have been killin it

Im a pretty optimistic guy but i wasnt that optimistic. Im starting to not believe in karma, how do we burn the city down 2 yrs ago and still end up with this good fortune?

Ok; lets think this through.  Multiple choice might help?

Option A    Lou is thrilled with everything so he wants out?

Option B    His sense of manhood is challenged by being sat in favour of another goalie, so he wants out?

I'm going with B...  And I call it pouting!

I suppose your entitled to your own perception of things.

Archived