• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

What are you talking about, everybody loves Raymond

ba dum bum CHHHHHH

/end thread
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#62 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I like Raymond. I like how, even though he was having issues scoring he still played well defensively.

The guy has always tried. He wasn't always successful, but he put in the effort. He might have been a bit more successful at body-checking if he was a few inches taller and 40 pounds heavier, but he used his speed to forecheck, and I thought he did well.

Getting a goal this early in the season may well give him back some of the confidence he has lost in the lost two seasons.

This being said, I don't see a future here for Raymond. The team is fairly well stacked (current injury issues aside) for top-9 wingers. Sedin, Burrows, Booth, Kassian, Higgins, Hansen plus whatever might show up in the assumed Luongo trade will all get more time than Raymond.

I wish him well, so he can get a decent contract with his next team, whether that is as a UFA or if he is traded.

regards,
G.

Edited by Gollumpus, 24 January 2013 - 06:27 PM.

Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#63 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

I think everyone was teased by his really good season, and dissapointed when he failed to follow it up in a similar fashion. Then his back injury changed everything. By now I think most of us realize that there are a lot of moronic/heartless fans here. I'm sure the players understand this and dont let it destroy their confidence. When an idiot gives me greif about something they know ver little about, I dont pay them any mind. Hoping these professional athletes do the same.

#64 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:10 AM

Double post

Edited by BenDrinkin, 24 January 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#65 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

I think everyone was teased by his really good season, and dissapointed when he failed to follow it up in a similar fashion. Then his back injury changed everything. By now I think most of us realize that there are a lot of moronic/heartless fans here. I'm sure the players understand this and dont let it destroy their confidence. When an idiot gives me greif about something they know ver little about, I dont pay them any mind. Hoping these professional athletes do the same.

Raymond was doing well in 2010 - 11, up until he got that hand/wrist/thumb injury from a slash which cost him maybe ten games. He had 8g 11a in the first 25 or so games which would put him on a pace to easily duplicate his previous season's results.His shot hasn't quite been the same after that, and then he followed it up with the back injury in the playoffs.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#66 domyours

domyours

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I will always be a fan of Raymond, but KB, Never........................

#67 Tiers

Tiers

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

This was funny ...from http://blogs.theprov...nucks-shootout/

"- Mason “Ice Man” Raymond once again showed why his agent argued that Raymond should be paid based purely on his performances against Calgary. Mason Raymond has, for reasons unbeknownst to me, chosen the Calgary Flames as the one team he decides to be Pavel Bure against. Well, Pavel Bure minus the moves. And the illegal elbows. And the passing. OK, Raymond plays really well against Calgary is all I am saying. The craziest part about Raymond’s game tonight? He went into the SLOT. And then he SCORED. Raymond, slot, scored. I think we need to tattoo that on his face so he sees it in the mirror every night. Granted, it was on the powerplay, so the slot was open, BUT I DON’T CARE. Even on the powerplay Raymond tries to avoid the slot because he’s pretty sure the outer faceoff circle is trying to catch him with his head down…."

hahaha...btw I am a Raymond Fan myself

#68 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Okay Raymond had a key goal for us tonight, but really, the puck squirted out to him while he was in a prime scoring position. It wasn't like he scored the best goal ever.

Seriously?

The puck did not "squirt" out to him, it was a pass from Daniel. Raymond got himself into a scoring position in anticipation of a pass and once he had the puck, pivoted and put a shot into the top corner of the net. The fact that he wasn't able to walk into it shows that the shot had good velocity.

It's funny that people still go on about how Raymond "sucked before the back injury", but they forget that he spent most of the previous season trying to bounce back from a broken hand.

Last night Gary Valk made a good point about how Raymond was a player who benefitted from the long layoff, due to the lockout. What we're seeing is a completely healthy Mason Raymond. He's passing and shooting with more confidence than he has for the last few seasons, while still maintaining the defensive ability that kept him in the lineup, even when his offense was suffering.

There's a reason the Canucks re-signed him, even though the majority of Canuck fans and media thought he should be let go.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#69 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

And the passing.

Passing? Are we still on that little bit of BS?

Maybe this blogger missed the perfect setup to Tanev last night after Raymond carried the puck in and circled the Flames' net....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#70 Hairy Kneel

Hairy Kneel

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

He always shows up and plays harder when they play Calgary..maybe they would trade for him?

#71 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Seriously?

The puck did not "squirt" out to him, it was a pass from Daniel. Raymond got himself into a scoring position in anticipation of a pass and once he had the puck, pivoted and put a shot into the top corner of the net. The fact that he wasn't able to walk into it shows that the shot had good velocity.

It's funny that people still go on about how Raymond "sucked before the back injury", but they forget that he spent most of the previous season trying to bounce back from a broken hand.

Last night Gary Valk made a good point about how Raymond was a player who benefitted from the long layoff, due to the lockout. What we're seeing is a completely healthy Mason Raymond. He's passing and shooting with more confidence than he has for the last few seasons, while still maintaining the defensive ability that kept him in the lineup, even when his offense was suffering.

There's a reason the Canucks re-signed him, even though the majority of Canuck fans and media thought he should be let go.

THIS^
Posted Image

#72 Nashi

Nashi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,921 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I hope he scores at a reliable pace this year.

canucks141.png

#73 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

First things First. Im not starting this thread because he scored a goal tonight.

Lol Yes you are....or this would have went down to the other May Ray thread...

#74 ~AngelBelle~

~AngelBelle~

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

I agree with you op. I don't think it's just that Raymond has got the time to heal and come back to play. Raymond used to play awkwardly even before he was injured after his 25 goal season. I just think that that particular season, he was actually given a chance to have the puck. After that, Kesler seems to want to be the leader on that line and not pass the puck to his team mates much and one of them which includes Raymond and perhaps Booth. But Kesler and Booth are buddies from before. I think Kesler's over confidence might be bringing Raymond down, i'm not sure. After Kesler's departure to injury, Raymond seems to be more positive and open-minded and trying different things.

I like Kesler, but i think he needs to have a change in attitude and stop his diving and arrogance at times.

Even though Raymond's SO attempt wasn't that great.. I think it was a lot better than Edler's or Daniel's..

I don't post much on here due to the negative posts i quite frequently see on here. But kudos for saying it out OP. There really shouldn't be any whipping boy. But we get frustrated because we want our own players to perform better, and not suck. It's like supporting them in a different way. Just don't give up on them easily.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. People seem to forget that Kesler's best season was actually 09-10 with 25-50-73, not 10-11 with 41-32-73. Not so surprisingly, Samuelsson and Raymond both had a very productive year when Kesler passes. I don't understand the posts that assumes Kesler is not passing to his wingers because "he had to do it himself" when his new puck hogging attitude is not only handicapping him but his entire line. Raymond has great potential, you can't learn speed, and he is a much much better passer than say...Booth. Sure Booth does all the crashing and banging, but did it really translate to anything? People are so blinded by hate sometimes.

I do agree that Kesler and Raymond just doesn't work though. Honestly, when AV split up the twins last year, Raymond worked really well with Hank (well who doesn't right?) and I remember that he also performed better with Hodgson. Perhaps its a chemistry thing, and JS seems to be working fine with him

Edited by ~AngelBelle~, 24 January 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#75 MANGO

MANGO

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Its encouraging that he scored but we will see. Thats the first time I have seen him in the slot with the puck in .....I dont know how long......a long fricken time:-)

"- Mason “Ice Man” Raymond once again showed why his agent argued that Raymond should be paid based purely on his performances against Calgary. Mason Raymond has, for reasons unbeknownst to me, chosen the Calgary Flames as the one team he decides to be Pavel Bure against. Well, Pavel Bure minus the moves. And the illegal elbows. And the passing. OK, Raymond plays really well against Calgary is all I am saying. The craziest part about Raymond’s game tonight? He went into the SLOT. And then he SCORED. Raymond, slot, scored. I think we need to tattoo that on his face so he sees it in the mirror every night. Granted, it was on the powerplay, so the slot was open, BUT I DON’T CARE. Even on the powerplay Raymond tries to avoid the slot because he’s pretty sure the outer faceoff circle is trying to catch him with his head down…."

Looks like the Province finally found a reliable source......... :bigblush:
Posted Image

formerly......puck n icehole

#76 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Passing? Are we still on that little bit of BS?

Maybe this blogger missed the perfect setup to Tanev last night after Raymond carried the puck in and circled the Flames' net....

I thought he passed to Ballard?
Kevin.jpg

#77 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

He wasn't an impact player prior to the injury and I don't expect him to become one now.

He doesn't have to be. He needs to do the job he's given..........and he did it just fine.
Kevin.jpg

#78 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,254 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

He could have scored in the shootout. He was pretty close if he went a little higher.

307mg00.jpg

#79 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Raymond has a better wrist shot than Kesler.

This was last year, when he was still getting back to form.

If Raymond is capable of that kind of shot while not even being completely healed and 100% fit, who knows what he's capable of?

Kesler has a quick release and can pack some velocity, but accuracy-wise it's nowhere near as close as where Raymond can place that disc.

Don't think I'm suddenly homering Raymond after the Cgy goal. I always knew he had a good shot. I honestly believe Raymond is the closest thing to a sniper that we have since Naslund.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#80 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Posted Image

I didnt understand this show. The laugh track would repeat and I would be left scratching my head wondering "Funny how?"

I never watched it voluntarily. It sucked.

#81 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Raymond has a better wrist shot than Kesler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDzWCNyQlJQ

This was last year, when he was still getting back to form.

If Raymond is capable of that kind of shot while not even being completely healed and 100% fit, who knows what he's capable of?

Kesler has a quick release and can pack some velocity, but accuracy-wise it's nowhere near as close as where Raymond can place that disc.

Don't think I'm suddenly homering Raymond after the Cgy goal. I always knew he had a good shot. I honestly believe Raymond is the closest thing to a sniper that we have since Naslund.

If he has a wrist shot superior to Kesler's how come he cant score 20 goals?

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 24 January 2013 - 06:02 PM.

#82 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

I don't think people hate him. I just think he has frustrated a lot of people because he has so much skill and for the past few seasons he hasn't really used it at all. It's been a bit of a wasted roster spot keeping him around and he has brought his linemates down to his level too, which is a double (or even a triple) whammy

If he uses his skills though he's a tremendous asset. Hopefully he can play like this consistently and not just revert to old ways after a few games

You think it was Raymond bringing down the 2nd line? Raymond makes half of both of those guys, and , unlike Booth he can actually play defence. The fact is Kesler is supposed to be the leader on that line and the one getting his team mates involved, and he has simply failed. Last season Kesler was the most disappointing player on the team, bar none. Kesler and Booth are terrible together as both are shoot first forwards, making them incredibly predictable. What the hell happened to the Kesler that was racking up assists a few seasons ago. A very small amount of Keslers points came at even strength, and thats a pretty telling stat.

#83 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

If he has a wrist shot superior to Kesler's how come he cant score 20 goals?

He has scored 20 goals

#84 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Well, as long as he is a consistent secondary scorer on this team, he's doing his part! Just gotta work on keeping the +/- up

The guy is one of the Canucks better forward defenders and probably the best forechecker on the team.

#85 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Okay Raymond had a key goal for us tonight, but really, the puck squirted out to him while he was in a prime scoring position. It wasn't like he scored the best goal ever.

I hope he builds his confidence off it though, I'd be very happy to see Raymond pot 20+ this year.

It was a pass, to a guy who was perfectly positioned in the slot, who dragged it and waiting for the opening before wristing in the perfectly placed shot top left corner. What more could you possibly ask for in a goal?

#86 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

raymond has played terrible and had a nice goal tonight but after that was a non factor.

he is useless especially when he tries to set up in the offensive zone with his down the boards stop turn around go the other way stop turn around go back down but lose the puck turnover.

he needs to be a more off the puck player, get in position and let the playmakers do the work of setting up and getting him the puck in good position.

You are obviously a complete dolt, with no real understanding of the game outside of the scoresheet. He used his speed incredibly effectively in the offensive zone, and I counted him losing the puck to a defender exactly once. He was causing havoc in the Calgary zone and no one could get the puck from him. If Ballard and Weise had any finish, Raymond would have had at least 2 assists. 5 shots (none of them at the goalies crest I a might add), forchecked like mad and was very noticably involved on the PP.

In case you hadnt noticed. He was the playmaker last night. He not a big body stand in front of the net player and wait for a deflection, thats not his job.

Seriously, take a hike hater

#87 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

It was one goal

Wait for him to drop off the face of the earth this weekend

hahah was one goal...How about those two setups in the slot that he gave whomever they were, in which they both ended up missing the entire net......yeah man, REYMUND SUCKS!!! :S
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#88 VancouverCanucksRock

VancouverCanucksRock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,544 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

hope this increases his trade value ill drive him to the airport when the time comes

hope this increases his trade value ill drive him to the airport when the time comes

You need a Driver's License, and a vehicle, neither of which any of you trolls possess
Posted Image WHen idiots think numbers are words, I do believe in 2012 for cleansing Earth of the idiots

#89 unknown33429

unknown33429

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Is everyone suffering from mass amnesia? Raymond's struggles started BEFORE his broken back. It can't be his excuse.

Are you CRAZY??? Trade Green for ONE first round pick?? He's restricted after this season.... He WILL get an offer sheet for 7-8 million from a number of teams regardless if he plays another minute for us or not. That offer sheet would be worth 4 first round draft choices.

Some fans overrate their players, and then there is this guy.

#90 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Is everyone suffering from mass amnesia? Raymond's struggles started BEFORE his broken back. It can't be his excuse.

It started after he broke his hand. Before his broken hand, he had 8g and 11a in 25ish games in 10-11 - on pace to match his 09-10 totals.

Excuse? You're saying a broken back is an excuse? I take back this post. You're not even worth a reply.

Edited by LordofBrussels, 24 January 2013 - 06:59 PM.

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.