Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Do you think there's a coaching problem?

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

Poll: Where do we draw the line? (116 member(s) have cast votes)

Where is YOUR breaking point with AV? When do we fire him?

1. Never (for the forseable future) (15 votes [12.93%])

Percentage of vote: 12.93%

2. Early Playoff Exit (13 votes [11.21%])

Percentage of vote: 11.21%

3. Play-off manhandling (we've all seen it) (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

4. No Cup, No AV (4 votes [3.45%])

Percentage of vote: 3.45%

5. Voted Miss the Playoffs (29 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

6. Below .500 Half way through the season (6 votes [5.17%])

Percentage of vote: 5.17%

7. Below .500 15-ish games through the season (8 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

8. Now (8 votes [6.90%])

Percentage of vote: 6.90%

9. A long time ago (27 votes [23.28%])

Percentage of vote: 23.28%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Can't believe there are still AV defenders. Boggles my mind. He's a horrible coach and needs to be fired ASAP!

Ugh.

/=S=/

#32 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Whole coaching staff needs to go. Defense is terrible , special teams is awful, and holding a lead in the third along with not caring about shootouts has become tiresome under AV.

Just one problem. There's nobody available.

I wouldn't mind a retool this short season, draft a high pick in a deep draft, trade either goalie in the offseason, hire new staff and go young like the oilers...

#33 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Do people even watch the games, do you even watch effort and execution?

Everyone is playing great,

This is where you absolutely lost me. :picard:

Have you even watched the games??????

Our powerplay has been given gift rapped opportunities to win games!!! With Red Wrapping Paper and A yellow Bow!! And they have failed miserably.

This team continues to come out FLAT!

Continues to blow 2-0 leads!

Continues to give up crucial points!

Continues to play the players that aren't playing well!!! (Case and point OT, Sedins were bad 5 on 5 while our 2 best forwards Schroeder and Kassian didn't get a SECOND of ice time.)

This team is going NOWHERE in the playoffs with Alain Vigneault behind the bench (And no I'm not jumping on this bandwagon now, it has been my opinion for a long time AV has to go)

Without goaltending this team is dead last in the Western confrence

/ Rant

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 29 January 2013 - 12:32 AM.

zackass.png

#34 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:41 AM

Posted Image

I honestly cracked up laughing at this!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA

you're kinda a troll....but that is good stuff XD
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#35 jojohnucks

jojohnucks

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:44 AM

well this thread sure backfired

awful coaching

scared hockey = losing hockey

#36 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

He thought that Aaron Rome was a better pp option than Keith Ballard. In the Stanley Cup playoffs.

What kind of mind works that way?

#37 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

This is where you absolutely lost me. :picard:

Have you even watched the games??????

Our powerplay has been given gift rapped opportunities to win games!!! With Red Wrapping Paper and A yellow Bow!! And they have failed miserably.

This team continues to come out FLAT!

Continues to blow 2-0 leads!

Continues to give up crucial points!

Continues to play the players that aren't playing well!!! (Case and point OT, Sedins were bad 5 on 5 while our 2 best forwards Schroeder and Kassian didn't get a SECOND of ice time.)

This team is going NOWHERE in the playoffs with Alain Vigneault behind the bench (And no I'm not jumping on this bandwagon now, it has been my opinion for a long time AV has to go)

Without goaltending this team is dead last in the Western confrence

/ Rant

Schroeder didn't have Doughty hovering over him

Take off the glasses.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#38 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

Schroeder didn't have Doughty hovering over him

Take off the glasses.

What glasses, if you think the Sedins were effective at all 5 on 5 then I think your the one wearing the glasses.

Schroeder was great yet again and lead all center's in faceoff percentage. If AV would ever think to put Burrows or Higgins or Hansen on his line rather than Weise maybe that line would finish.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 29 January 2013 - 12:51 AM.

zackass.png

#39 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

I'm not against a coaching change, and I wouldn't disagree if someone were to tell me it would be good for the Canucks, but I just don't see bringing in a new coach and system during a shortened season panning out for the Canucks. We'll likely live or die with what we've got.

Come the end of the season though, I'd be all for it.

Edited by Azial, 29 January 2013 - 12:53 AM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#40 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

AV REALLY needs to work on getting the team to stop blowing 2 goal leads

He also needs to get them to play hard enough to earn those leads. Based on the team's play tonight, they didn't deserve the lead in the first place.

OP - the KIngs were without their big shut-down guy in Willie Mitchell! How do you think we would have faired with him in the lineup?

AV's "system" worked for awhile but when analyzed in the playoffs, it was exposed for it's weaknesses. Our D zone break-out is non-existent and was from the moment we stepped on the ice last night and tonight. The players weren't tired then!!

Our forecheck is non-existent and was from the drop of the puck. Players weren't tired then. AV had them "adjust" the forecheck last year because he felt they were giving up too many chances the other way. That adjustment appears to be to allow the other team to easily exit their zone so you can chase the puck around in your own end for 2 minutes hoping to get it back.

Garrison was a shut down stud and offensive threat in the Florida system but here he looks like a junior B player. Maybe it's the system he's being asked to play?

Every year teams adjust (Boston, CHicago, LA etc) while AV says the same things, coaches the same system and plays the same players. Guess what...same result!

#41 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:54 AM

Your all idiots 6 games in why dont you all go play with your dolls and cry me a river please its 6 games and they are tide for first in the division. They will get going soon, how many times Have they had loosing streaks and then gone on a good roll so give it a break.

Edited by Canuckfan1968, 29 January 2013 - 12:55 AM.

#42 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

What glasses, if you think the Sedins were effective at all 5 on 5 then I think your the one wearing the glasses.

Schroeder was great yet again and lead all center's in faceoff percentage. If AV would ever think to put Burrows or Higgins or Hansen on his line rather than Weise maybe that line would finish.

Yea you see the best defense men plays against the best forward.

Schroder looks better out their because LA are missing Greene, he has space to skate around and find the opening.

Calling Schroeder better than the Sedins is comical and only demonstrates how ur grasping at straws to explain an injured team having a hard time beating the Stanely Cup champions.

The only issue with the team so far is we don't have a 2nd line, and Bieksa, Edler, And Garrison are terrible defensively.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#43 Maninthebox

Maninthebox

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

I heard GMMG offered to trade our fanbase to Columbus for a 7th round pick.

Columbus said no.

#44 Canuckfan1968

Canuckfan1968

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

not to explain how many times loungo has let in a goal at the last minute of the third period i wish i could count the times it is so sad good goalies finish not fall apart.

#45 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Yea you see the best defense men plays against the best forward.

Schroder looks better out their because LA are missing Greene, he has space to skate around and find the opening.

Calling Schroeder better than the Sedins is comical and only demonstrates how ur grasping at straws to explain an injured team having a hard time beating the Stanely Cup champions.

The only issue with the team so far is we don't have a 2nd line, and Bieksa, Edler, And Garrison are terrible defensively.

I said Schroeder PLAYED BETTER, Jeez I wish people would read. Schroeder obviously isn't better than the Sedins no one on this team is.

The issues are:

- Coaching
- The top 4
- Powerplay
- Top Players & key players not at there best

As for your 2nd line thing, if AV would put Burrows with Schroeder and Raymond I guarantee we would have an adequate short term solution.

zackass.png

#46 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:17 AM

Columbus said no.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Thanks man I am so emotional right now to stumble across that post made my night.

#47 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Columbus said no.

Fans are the same almost everywhere. The Rangers got booed off the ice after the 1st period against the Leafs the other night. THe Bruins fnas were booing them last year when they were struggling.

Quit with the "Vancouver fans are the worst" BS! The Nucks have the longest sell-out record in the league! It is because of that we have a wealthy owner willing to spend to the cap (and beyond) to ice a great team. If the players/coaches or anyone associated with the team is not performing as expected by those fans, they are within their rights to say so. You don't have to agree and are free to share your opinoin but stop the generalization of a poor fan base. You sound like a TSN analyst!

#48 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Sitting on a 1-goal lead? Good job. It's the coach who says "ice the puck over and over again. That'll do!"

Not even bothering to try and shake up the defense when only Ballard - Tanev are playing any good.

Garrison - Edler pairing is stupid. At the very least, switch them. EDLER HAS NEVER PLAYED RIGHT SIDE D WELL! GARRISON DOES! DERP! HERP DERP!

Edler had a god-awful game. Just plain awful. So... who shoots in the shootout? Yea, you guessed it.

As much as I like the starts Wiese and Volpatti have had... come on now... keep them on the 4th line.

The stupid thing about this is that this isn't a "one-game" thing. This happens ALL THE TIME! AV has no clue. None at all. I honestly don't even know what this guy is actually doing behind the bench...

The Sedins are the ones planning the forward plays... choosing their PP linemate, even!

Malhotra essentially coaches the centers...

Bowness coaches the defense, and does a horrible job of it, too!

Melanson coaches the goalies.

FIRE AV AND BRING IN A COACH THAT COACHES AND DOES HIS JOB! AV IS COMPLETELY USELESS!

Seriously, all this guy does is throw out stupid line combos and tells the team which games to write off, and when to stop trying. He holds grudges and shows blind favoritism.

He has no clue as far as shootout is concerned. The Sedins shouldn't be aloud to refuse shootouts the way they do. A real coach tells them to suck it up and figure it out. The Sedins should be amazing at shootouts. They can pass the puck between half a dozen sets of legs and sticks, but can't thread the needle in a shootout?

Just the same, Luongo can't say when it is the right time to be pulled. AV doesn't do his job. He just makes friends, and he makes enemies. He brings cliques and politics into the locker room. It has to come to an end. This guy is a joke.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#49 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,374 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

Columbus said no.

Our fan base would guarantee 41 sellouts a year at hugely inflated ticket prices as well as massive local television ratings and revenue and a huge boost in team merchandise sales and other ancillary revenue streams. In short, our fan base would instantly transform Columbus from a 'have-not' franchise not only to a 'have' but to a marquee franchise in the NHL, probably tripling or quadrupling the monetary value of the Columbus franchise overnight.

John P McConnell would have John Davidson and Scott Howson shot if they ever turned down a deal to acquire the Vancouver and the BC hockey fanbase.

#50 canadaguy_25

canadaguy_25

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Your all idiots 6 games in why dont you all go play with your dolls and cry me a river please its 6 games and they are tide for first in the division. They will get going soon, how many times Have they had loosing streaks and then gone on a good roll so give it a break.

Ridiculously, horribly, illiturate, grade-school grammar aside, if you think this is about six games, then you need to watch more hockey. This is not a reactionary response to the start of the season. This is a growing aggravation with a poorly-coached team that has been playing out for years. AV is ineffective and needs to go.

#51 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,299 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:40 AM

Our fan base would guarantee 41 sellouts a year at hugely inflated ticket prices as well as massive local television ratings and revenue and a huge boost in team merchandise sales and other ancillary revenue streams. In short, our fan base would instantly transform Columbus from a 'have-not' franchise not only to a 'have' but to a marquee franchise in the NHL, probably tripling or quadrupling the monetary value of the Columbus franchise overnight.

John P McConnell would have John Davidson and Scott Howson shot if they ever turned down a deal to acquire the Vancouver and the BC hockey fanbase.

Posted Image

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#52 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

6 games isn't what has brought this on AV.

His entire tenure here is marked by play-off failure. Even the SCF. A real coach gets his team out of a funk like THAT. That was utter meltdown. An entire series of utter meltdown. Same with the Chicago series, and quite frankly, the Nashville series.

Then last year's LA series was a complete embarrassment. Oh, then the previous Chicago exits that were utter meltdown.

This is all aside from the regular season stress from his ridiculous favoritism antics and parking his hole on 1-goal leads. This mentality NEVER existed before he became coach. This team has no KILLER INSTINCT, because AV doesn't care. He makes his paycheque either way.

Fire AV. The system can stay, for the most part, but it needs another coach's touch. A system's coach is needed for a team that is playing in disarray. This team is well organized. It has no issues making the play-offs. This coach doesn't need a regular season coach like AV. This team needs a play-off coach.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#53 canadaguy_25

canadaguy_25

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Ridiculously, horribly, illiturate, grade-school grammar aside, if you think this is about six games, then you need to watch more hockey. This is not a reactionary response to the start of the season. This is a growing aggravation with a poorly-coached team that has been playing out for years. AV is ineffective and needs to go.

*illiterate... I figured I'd correct that before I get flamed

#54 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:44 AM

*illiterate... I figured I'd correct that before I get flamed

psst ... use the edit feature..

>.>

<.<

you didn't hear it from me.

Also:

fire AV
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#55 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:47 AM

You know... I've never been a 'FIRE AV' guy but tonight, when they were up 2-0, the cameras focussed on the Sedins on the bench staring blankly ahead, then panned over to Vigneault leaning back with his hands in his pockets chewing gum and looking up at the clock ... I did have that flash that, yeah, a coaching change might be ideal for this team.

Just to highlight, this isn't a kneejerk reaction, I mean we were winning at that point, but still. There does come a point when you look at the skill level, the achievements over the past few seasons, and then the lacklustre indifference out there on the ice and think, one or the other (players/coaching) needs to change.

In the past I've chuckled when the inevitable FIRE AV! choruses have started up. This season I think might be different. We'll see where we're at at the halfway point.

ps that 'Protect the 0-0 Tie' AV meme is f/cking excellent btw.

#56 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

You know... I've never been a 'FIRE AV' guy but tonight, when they were up 2-0, the cameras focussed on the Sedins on the bench staring blankly ahead, then panned over to Vigneault leaning back with his hands in his pockets chewing gum and looking up at the clock ... I did have that flash that, yeah, a coaching change might be ideal for this team.

Just to highlight, this isn't a kneejerk reaction, I mean we were winning at that point, but still. There does come a point when you look at the skill level, the achievements over the past few seasons, and then the lacklustre indifference out there on the ice and think, one or the other (players/coaching) needs to change.

In the past I've chuckled when the inevitable FIRE AV! choruses have started up. This season I think might be different. We'll see where we're at at the halfway point.

Yea, and this crap is EVERY NIGHT! The only time he shows emotion is when his best friend, whoever that may be at the time, is tripped and there's no call. That's it. That's the only emotion he shows.

Instead, he chews gum and plays pocket pool all night long while he watches men skate around the ice, thinking about the next trip to the locker room during intermission. And the players wonder why they never see him during the intermissions? BIG MISTER Big mystery...

Fire AV
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

#57 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

AV needs to learn to stop putting the same freaking useless players in the shootout like Edler!

#58 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,480 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

Oh course it isn't a knee jerk reaction. These things everyone is critcizing AV aren't new. These are things that have been noticed for years.

A change is needed, AV has to go, this team is so much better than we have seen IMO, even without Kesler and Booth we are still the best team in our division and when we get those 2 back, I think (with the right coaching) we are easily the best team in the west, & one of the top contenders in the league, we just have to preform that way.

A coaching change is needed, I have a bad feeling a change won't be made and we will throw away this great opportunity at a cup, as we won't have the same team we have right now next year, or in the coming years.

zackass.png

#59 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I've had enough of AV as well and have for a while now. However, to get rid of him now and in this short season might be a mistake, there doesn't seem to be many capable unemployed coaches floating around at the moment.

I think this should be AV's last shot with this team. If we dont make the playoffs, he should be canned. If we get knocked out of the playoffs early again, he should be canned. If we go a long way in the playoffs but we get manhandled again, he should be canned.
Basically, if AV doesn't deliver a Stanley cup this year he should be terminated and the rest of the coaching staff should be looked at very closely.
My opinion.

#60 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:04 AM

Coaching staff have tried it all. We tried playing run-and-gun with the Sharks and Ducks, ended up going 1-2-0 and getting embarassed. We tried playing a close, tight checking defensive game against LA and blow a 2 goal lead.

We probably should of reversed those roles. Play good defensive games against the Sharks and Ducks, and open it up against a not-so-offensive Kings team.

Nevertheless I'd be happy if the Canucks are playing .500 hockey by the end of the first quarter of the season, then go on a typical late-season tear.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.