The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Kassians so far brief "fame" all from being on a line with the twins?

BurrsArrows

I like the way Kassian has stepped up his game thus far this season, and I'm sure playing with the twins and getting loads of minutes has really helped his confidence. He's obviously potted some goals, had a couple fights, made some decent plays.

That said, I still don't see him really sticking with the Sedins. It almost seems like he is limited somewhat by trying to fit into the Sedin's game, but when he plays more of his own style he does better. And to be honest, I don't see any of the things people on this board keep saying he has done for the twins. He doesn't use his speed on the forecheck to retrieve the puck for them, hasn't really been overly physical creating space, and doesn't particularly cycle well with them as a right handed shot. For years people have bemoaned the lack of a right winger to play with the twins, but that was always so they had a body out front to feed one-timers and deflections to. So far that hasn't happened.

Comments like "Kass has carried the twins" are ridiculous. As mentioned, they've only combined on two of his goals. He's been successful in other ways, earning his points himself or with other teammates. And the twins really haven't benefited from his presence much at all. They still look like they're trying to find their game, and while all three are obviously trying to work out how to play together, I personally do not see it as a great fit.

Now don't beach your orcas and flap your arms at me. I like most of what Kass has been doing, and until other options arise (Kesler/Booth return or perhaps Shroeder/Raymond/Kassian get a look) I'm fine with the Sedins and Kassian continuing to work out the kinks. It may not be working as some of us might have imagined, but Kass is producing even if the twins are a bit stale. I hope to see some other combinations in the near future, as the team is obviously going to need to ramp it up as the season progresses. Lots of time yet.

I would really like to see Kass use his size and good hands as a playmaker with grit, setting up Kesler and Booth and then parking in front of the net where he finds the puck well and can benefit from all the rebounds and loose pucks those two will generate. Even before that, I'd like to see AV try to get more than one line going by putting Burr back with the twins and seeing what Kass can do with Raymond and Schroeder for some shifts (specifically on nights when things aren't really clicking otherwise).

Playing with the Sedins helps, but it surely isn't the sole reason he is doing well. A lot of it has to do with Zach himself bringing his game to a new level. He's playing with confidence and physicality, while putting himself in great scoring positions and doing all the little things right.

I think he makes the Sedins better, too. It's a good combination.

I like that zacks physicality is rubbing off on the sedins.... Loved when henrik threw dustin brown to the ice even tho it was a penalty....had me laughing.... ZK has a scoring touch and creates room for them.... And mostly he's there for protection.... Goofs will think twice now that the sedins have a watchdog on their line.... Perfecto!! And in burrs case he's freed up to get Hanson and Higgy rolling like he has.... Good stuff! I'm stoked on these new lines....

Meh, it's not all from being with the Sedins. But the Sedins obviously make 20-25 goal scorers into 30-40 goal scorers... anyone is kidding themselves if they think otherwise!

And no he wouldn't be the same if he weren't posted at favourable line positions with the Sedins. If he was on the 3rd or 4th lines I'd think 8-13 goals would be decent for him.

ps: pace over a regular season

I don't think so, there haven't been many Sedin to Kassian passes apart from maybe 2 so far. Kassian is just playing the right way and right now he's our best forward.

Everyone on our offence is disappointing so far except for Kassian, and that includes the twins who are well below a point-per-game so far. I'll chalk this up to the fact that Kassian was one of our only players playing consistently during the lockout .

Archived