#1 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

http://rt.com/news/s...-fine-rape-333/

Public anger has gripped Saudi Arabia after a prominent preacher who raped and beat to death his 5-year-old daughter was sentenced to a few months in jail and a $50,000 fine – known as 'blood money' – to compensate the victim's relatives.

*According to Islamic law, the 'blood money' can be paid in lieu of the death penalty. The preacher's fine was reportedly half the usual amount because the victim was a girl.

Saudi preacher Fayhan Ghamdi, a frequent guest on Muslim TV networks, confessed to using cables and a cane to inflict the injuries, AFP reported, quoting activists from the group ‘Women to Drive.’

Ghamdi reportedly doubted that his daughter, Lama Ghamdi, was a virgin, and forced her to undergo a medical inspection.

In December 2011, Lama was admitted to hospital with multiple injuries, including a crushed skull, broken ribs and left arm, and extensive bruising and burns, according to the activist group. Hospital worker Randa Kaleeb said that the girl's back was broken, and that she had been raped "everywhere."

The hospital told the victim's mother that her child's “rectum had been torn open and the abuser had attempted to burn it closed,” AFP reported on Saturday.

In October 2012, the girl died from her injuries. The following November, the father was arrested. The judge ruled that the "blood money and the time the defendant had served in prison since Lama's death suffices as punishment," activists reported.

The incident sparked public anger in Saudi Arabia, prompting an online Twitter campaign calling for more severe punishment for violence against women and children. The 'Women to Drive' campaign, launched by women's rights activist Manal Sharif, has demanded the creation of legislation that would criminalize violence against women and children.

The petition is circulating on Twitter under the hashtag 'Ana Lama' – "I am Lama" in Arabic.

The issue has gained widespread traction in Saudi Arabia, and authorities promised to set up a 24-hour hotline that will take calls regarding child abuse.

Posted Image

Posted Image

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

The judge had a little too much sympathy for my liking. I wonder if that judge has a daughter and what has happened to her.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#3 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:22 AM

This is truly disgusting. What a pathetic punishment to a pathetic person.

Edited by BUREV, 04 February 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#4 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

Well, the judge is doing what he's supposed to do, which is uphold this monstrous, archaic laws that basically put a woman only slightly above a slave. If you think it's insane, it totally is, but also consider that this man will re-enter his community and, like, just stay there. For all to see. Could you imagine living in a place where you can be like 'Oh, hai guize. Oh, man, my mail is everywhere. Crazy turn of events, huh? Anyways, I'll see you around' after raping and murdering a child? Say what you will about Americans and their love of violence, this sack of trash would be hanging from a tree with a pitchfork up his ass if he lived in Texas. But, no, it was just a stupid woman, so whatever. He can go about his business in peace, because in the eyes of everyone, he only barely committed a crime.

#5 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

Not surprised this came from that part of the world.
Posted Image

#6 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

I had to pause a few times while reading this story. I feel for this little girl. May Lama's soul rest peacefully. Ana Lama.

#7 Charlie.the.Unicorn

Charlie.the.Unicorn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

So he rapes and beats his own daughter to death and then "The hospital told the victim's mother that her child's “rectum had been torn open and the abuser had attempted to burn it closed,” AFP reported on Saturday." WTF haha, sick sick world.

#8 thema

thema

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:33 AM

Remember, the Saudis (and their legal system) are supposedly our allies in the "war on terror"...

#9 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

http://www.liveleak....ew?i=0f0856c002

Edited by мцт вяздк чф, 04 February 2013 - 12:34 AM.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#10 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:37 AM

Not surprised this came from that part of the world.

Crimes like this happen in this part of the world as well, a lot more often than ppl realize. I am shocked at the punishment this animal got. I thought they torchered ppl to death for this type of thing in Arabic cultures.

Good on the Saudi public to be causing uproar in attempt for justice.

Edited by WHL rocks, 04 February 2013 - 12:40 AM.

#11 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

Crimes like this happen in this part of the world as well, a lot more often than ppl realize. I am shocked at the punishment this animal got. I thought they torchered ppl to death for this type of thing in Arabic cultures.

Good on the Saudi public to be causing uproar in attempt for justice.

Ummm, no.

It is more common there. I lived there for several years. Their culture causes them to do something like this.

It's like water trying to burst out of a hose that has your thumb in it.

Heck, I don't walk alone especially at night in the streets of that country for fear iof being gang raped in the anus, and I'm not even good looking.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#12 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,868 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

The punishment for having sex? Yes, rape.

What a sick mind. As if the 5 year old isn't a virgin. And this guy makes a living telling others how to live. What a sack of sh*t!

#13 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,496 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

And this is supposed to be one of the more progressive parts of the middle east...

Edited by DeNiro, 04 February 2013 - 01:18 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#14 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:41 AM

The problem is endemic though

First, it's the traditions of the country that generate a lot of the inability to affect change. With how things are for us out here in Canada/US, it blows our minds to read this, but this is literally all those people have ever known. Some of them are the equivalent to Idaho farmers who have never been off their plot of land for longer than 2 days in their lives. And also, progress follows with younger demographics. Historically speaking, we are always going to see slightly more liberal points of view, because it's ingrained in us. Our parents are strict, and we view them as authoritarian, and we try to mimic their ideals while making the small adjustments that we feel necessary. In the same way that our parents viewed their parents as the defining line, and adjusted from there. The majority is still controlled by a population who was born back when things were much, much stricter, and as long as they retain power, as older people are wont to do, you can't have real progressive change. It was said in the United States that the hardest racism would die when the last of those who remembered owning slaves had died out. Being born now, thinking of slavery is monstrous, but there were people who were raised believing that Africans weren't even human, basically just the Morlocks of our planet.. Until the youth - 39 and under - become the majority, and a vocal one, laws and traditions will remain as is.

But the real comparison I wanted to make is that, in all parts of the world, another one of the big problems is the perceived trust put into others. In this instance, there are men with incredible power, and they don't want to give it up. So, you get situations where monsters get into positions of power so that they're basically inscrutable. Priests didn't molest kids because they became Priests and the head guy was like 'Here's your Bible, here's your robes, make sure to molest the hell out of kids, because that's what we do' - The reason that the clergy, teachers, etc seem to have such a disproportionate rate of abuse is because horrible people take specific care to seem trustworthy. And in this instance, it's much the same. Someone is viewed as sacred, in his own way, because he's a preacher, and because he can lean back on trash like 'I am sure she was not a virgin' and just basically get away with it, because for the system to indict him, they'd ostensibly have to indict themselves. The truth of the matter is that the people who are making the decisions are basically in a position to defend their entire lives when you ask them to be more progressive. Because not only have they lived their entire lives like this, but they probably lived a significant portion of their lives in a system that was even more disgusting than it is now. They may be on the path to progression, but until the majority that seizes power grew up in a world where Western Values were viewed as superior, you'll never see change. This trash will keep happening for the next 15 years. Mark my words. 2028, we'll be reading about some poor teenage girl who got burned to death because she got an ear piercing.

Edited by coleman26, 04 February 2013 - 01:43 AM.

#15 AK_19

AK_19

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:58 AM

Ughh....

#16 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Did they imprison him with a dozen concubines?

If I remember correctly from discussions on CDC, lightly punishing criminals shows how advanced a country is.

#17 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,703 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:01 AM

The judge had a little too much sympathy for my liking. I wonder if that judge has a daughter and what has happened to her.

Understatement of the millennium there...

This is an unspeakable miscarriage of justice.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#18 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Don't worry, a Saudi cleric's got a plan to make sure this doesn't happen again.

“Burkas for babies”: Saudi cleric’s new fatwa causes controversy
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#19 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

He deserves the death penalty IMO.

Posted Image

#20 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:42 AM

In China he will face a shooting squad.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#21 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:05 AM

And this is supposed to be one of the more progressive parts of the middle east...

No actually its the most fundamentalist. They have a lot of money from oil but they are extremely fundamentalist in religion and way of life.
This his has nothing to do with religion, I think this guy is just a monster, Plain and simple.

#22 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Not as bad as consensual gay relationships or drawing a caricature of Mohammed, eh?

"Islamic justice" always has its priorities right.

#23 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,881 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Sad beyond belief .. this guy should be fed his testicles, and then be left in a dark hole to starve to death ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#24 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,937 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

There....are.....no......words......

Sorry...but this guy deserves to die...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#25 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,374 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

They give worse penalties to rape victims for comitting "adultery":

http://www.smh.com.a...5925651975.html

#26 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

:sick:
Posted Image

#27 Mr.Habitat

Mr.Habitat

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,648 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

Least progressive.

#28 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty, but this guy should be killed.
Posted Image

#29 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,572 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Wait a minute... Where's the OP's thoughts in the OP?
Posted Image

#30 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:58 PM

He deserves the death penalty IMO.

As much as I want to agree with all my heart, I can't, crimes like this deserve an actual punishment instead of the easy way out.

Personally I wouldn't kill him, I would put in solitary confinement, in a pitch black room with just enough care to keep him alive for the rest of his miserable life. The only light he would receive is 30 minutes a day staring at a picture of his daughter, so for the other 23.5 hours of darkness is spent with nothing but the image of what he did to that poor little girl.
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.