The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Severely Over-Rated- Do We Really Want Him?

The Dark Knight

Is it only me who finds it annoying that if you critisize a player on the team almost everyone will call the poster band wagooner or only post a face palm. I thought the poiny of the forum is to share your opinion on the team.

And regarding Keslers play, he hasn't been the same as he waa his Selke season, but he has been having injury problems, give him some time. If he doesn't come back to his game maybe the Canucks management should consider trading him.

I myself am not trying to be critical of Ryan as much as AV for not trying him on the wing. Ryan is not a passing center but he is a good player. We need a passing center to make our second line better. If we had a more effective second line it would take a lot of the checking off the twins in the playoffs. Trade that Lou kid for a second line center.

Not overrated but perhaps under-utilised.

The knock is his offensive production, particularly 5 on 5. He is not a set-up centerman and not offensively gifted in the moves department to beat many defenders 1 on 1. Where he is very effective is in finding open ice for his quick release shot. That would make hime a very effective winger for a set-up guy like Schroeder (or Hank). Schroeder sees the ice very well and is a great passer, capable of getting the puck through lanes to the shooter and at speed!

I would like to see him tried on the wing with Schroeder on the line. Who takes face-offs doesn't matter but setting up their offensive attack based on Kes on the wing could be effective.

Kes could also do PP and PK time.

I dont see this as a demotion for Kesler but perhaps a better allocation of assets.

I completely agree with the OP. I've been saying this for a long time. Not only is he overrated, he's so full of himself, has so much attitude. I think he is an ideal 3rd line centre but not 2nd line. One thing I could never understand is, why can't the coaching staff move him to the wing? The guy has a winger's mentality. As a centre, he has no idea when to get the puck to his wingers, never passes, has no on ice vision. Cody Hodgson never wanted out of Vancouver, he just wanted more playing time, so why couldn't they move Hodgson to second line centre and move Kesler to the wing? is the coaching staff scared of this prima donna?

I say we should do what the Flyers did couple years ago with Richards and Carter and trade Kesler. His value is still high and we can get a similar return for him as Richards and Carter. A top prospect or top 6 fwd and a 1st round pick.

Here's some reasons why he's struggling.

1. His defensive play. Believe it or not, when Kesler is at his best defensively, it makes him better offensively. Creating turnovers in the neutral zone and giving our team possession of the puck increased his chances off the rush and gave him more oppurtunities.

2. Forechecking. Doesn't look like the beast he usually is on the forecheck when he was pretty much our best forechecker but now he's getting knocked off the puck easily at times by physical defensemen.

3. Vision/Decision making. He needs to stop trying the wrist shot all of the time and either pass or drive the net hard. When Kesler was using his speed to drive the net and set up linemates he was a force.

I completely agree with the OP. I've been saying this for a long time. Not only is he overrated, he's so full of himself, has so much attitude. I think he is an ideal 3rd line centre but not 2nd line. One thing I could never understand is, why can't the coaching staff move him to the wing? The guy has a winger's mentality. As a centre, he has no idea when to get the puck to his wingers, never passes, has no on ice vision. Cody Hodgson never wanted out of Vancouver, he just wanted more playing time, so why couldn't they move Hodgson to second line centre and move Kesler to the wing? is the coaching staff scared of this prima donna?

I say we should do what the Flyers did couple years ago with Richards and Carter and trade Kesler. His value is still high and we can get a similar return for him as Richards and Carter. A top prospect or top 6 fwd and a 1st round pick.

Kesler is indeed overrated, when he's not playing with the Twins on the PP.

Seriously, most of his points have come off the man advantage, when he's getting beauty passes from Henrik or Daniel or Ehrhoff or Edler. The guy can rarely carry the offence by himself. Blame his linemates all you want, but star players make their linemates better, and Kesler has never really shown that.

You can bring up the Nashville series, but he basically took advantage of Weber and Suter double shifting the entire series.

Your a moron.

Just back from off season surgery

Shortened training season

End of a road swing after playing hard three games in four nights

Before tonight only one pp goal against on the road trip

Team is just starting to gel missing their top offensive minded passing D man

THE SKY IS FALLING! Quick go tell everyone............

Seriously. WTF? Go cheer for a different team !

Is that right? The whole six games he's been back? Imagin that. Oh he's also got 4 points in those six games big guy.

People said the exact same thing about Daniel Sedin when he came back from his injury a couple years ago. And how did that turn out? It took Daniel 10 games to start playing even remotely well. Then he went on to almost tie his brother in points ( who won the art Ross that year)

Archived