116 replies to this topic

#61 KBi3ksa

KBi3ksa

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

Do you have a link to this video you speak of?

The video is on the Canucks homepage.

#62 SOB for MVP

SOB for MVP

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

I dont think Gillis made a mistake. The only mistake I saw was not shutting him down sooner.

Posted Image

sig by -VC-

#63 'NucKô

'NucKô

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

sorry unable to watch the video right now, but wouldn't he ask for a trade if he wanted one?
Posted Image

#64 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

We're a better team w/ Malhotra in the lineup.

#65 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:03 AM

FFS this team's guts are falling apart like a house of cards.

Everyone, brace yourselves. The $h!tstorm is approaching.
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#66 Moonshinefe

Moonshinefe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

I have a feeling Malhotra wouldn't have been 'forced into retirement' if the slots on this team weren't at a premium right now with tons of players chafing at the bit (it's chafing btw, not chomping... don't put too much mustard (muster) on that)

#67 KBi3ksa

KBi3ksa

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:05 AM

sorry unable to watch the video right now, but wouldn't he ask for a trade if he wanted one?

One of the reporters asked the question, and Malhotra said that Gillis believed it would be best for him to remain with the organization in some way for the time being.

#68 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,635 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

Malhotra is worth it just for his faceoff ability alone. He is still damn good for the blind, decrepit disability case Gillis makes him out to be.

#69 KBi3ksa

KBi3ksa

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

We're a better team w/ Malhotra in the lineup.

I agree 100%. It seems a little interesting that he is speaking out the same day we find out we lose Kesler for 4-6weeks? Might have been better to just scratch Malhotra for the time being. Seeing as if we do activiate him now out of desperation the amount of criticism and some potential fines or something we'd be facing?

#70 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

I don't know why, but this kinda reminds me of how Trevor Linden was treated before he was basically forced into retirement by AV.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#71 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,192 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

I agree 100%. It seems a little interesting that he is speaking out the same day we find out we lose Kesler for 4-6weeks? Might have been better to just scratch Malhotra for the time being. Seeing as if we do activiate him now out of desperation the amount of criticism and some potential fines or something we'd be facing?

Well, we're already calling up Ebbett, so I think it's safe to say we won't be dressing Manny for a game.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#72 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,635 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

I know who I would want taking a key defensive zone faceoff in game 7 of the cup finals with a one goal lead in the last minute.....bad eye or not. The man deserves some respect and he is much better than Ebbett even in his current condition.

#73 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,485 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

After watching the interview my view has changed somewhat.

You can tell Malhotra is completely against this move, and feels like he can play fine. He seemed to be holding back a bit too, like he wanted to give Gillis a piece of his mind.

It's only out of loyalty to this team that he's sticking around and not demanding a trade.

I find it really arrogant of Gillis to tell a player what they can and cannot do like that. Malhotra is the only guy that knows how he feels on the ice. And I bet the players lost a bit of respect for Gillis for doing this. Players don't like to be told they can't play when they know they can, especially by some suit who hasn't played the game in 30 years.

Definitely lost a bit of respect for Gillis. I knew he was controlling, but this went a bit too far. All for what? To free up a roster spot? Don't sign players that you don't plan on keeping on your roster, and then make up some lame excuse that they can't play anymore.

Edited by DeNiro, 28 February 2013 - 02:34 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#74 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:37 AM

Malhotra has been given nothing but respect by the organization, the fans, his teamates.

It is not a benefit to have him playing on this hockey team, I am sorry he is not able to perform at the level needed and in a manner condusive to player safety.

I really liked the Malhotra signing and he fit right in with the team, a very solid addition to the Canucks, then he got seriously injured. He is not capable of playing like he had in the past and I am sorry to say he is not an option for the Canucks moving forward.

I understand people wondering if Malhotra has been wronged, been disrespected, or if management has gone about things in a " shady " manner. Please just educate yourselevs on the process of how we got to the Canucks shutting down Malhotra's season and his speaking out today.

It was made clear to Malhotra whe he was trying to come back from this injury what the Canucks could do, what the Canucks interests were and mostly it was made clear by management the opportunity they have given Malhotra to bounce back. It did not work. Thats real unfortunate, but its life.

For the life of me, people on here whine about players they call " plugs " etc and how the team needs to add strong pieces moving forward not having certain non-contributing elements. Yet Vancouver humanely shuts down Malhotra after going way out of their way to let him try and earn his spot on the team. And now people are unsure of how this was handled or are whining about how a player who does not fit in the club's plans right now whom is not contributing but a faceoff win here and there is likely being mistreated ?

Really ?

I am a Malhotra fan, but come on, have you guys not been watching him play ? he has justifiably been removed from the active roster.
Posted Image

#75 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

I think Malhotra should have been given more of a chance, its still too early to let him go. Its really sad that he still skates with his team mates and wants to play but isnt allowed to. He is still great at face offs, and there has been a notable decline since he left. It makes you wonder if the decision was mostly about declining performance than concern for his health. I'm not saying Gillis doesnt care about his health of course just that it seems like the decision was more about removing a player who management believes cannot perform adequately anymore, but made it look like it was entirely a safety issue.

#76 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:43 AM

I actually wanted manny off this team last year when we had sammy phalsson, they were basically a very similar player. I felt it was redundant.

This year however i reconsidered, manny missed that san jose game and we looked bad in faceoffs and penalty killing.

When he has been out of the line up this season our PK and faceoffs have struggled, for that reason alone I think he should have stayed in the line up.

Unless gillis is actually literally scared hes such a danger to himself. For Pk and faceoff duties he played a great role, and while he makes about a million to much for those duties, i think we could be using him.

#77 canuck73_3

canuck73_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,620 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:20 AM

After watching him play since the injury I can't say I disagree with Gillis, however I can see where Manny is coming from he's clearly a guy with a lot of fire who isn't ready to quit just yet. Tough to say where it goes from here.

credit to canuckforever00 for the sig :)

RIP Luc Bourdon

#78 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:32 AM

If Malhotra's health had been MG's major concern M. would never have been put back in the lineup after his eye injury. (Putting him into the lineup against Boston was absurd.)
- isn't it a bit odd we still have no idea how bad the eye is? Someone is hiding something.

#79 Rocket Robin

Rocket Robin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

Malhotra is done best move all year this was just asking for a train wreck

#80 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,415 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:18 AM

Malhotra has been given nothing but respect by the organization, the fans, his teamates.

It is not a benefit to have him playing on this hockey team, I am sorry he is not able to perform at the level needed and in a manner condusive to player safety.

I really liked the Malhotra signing and he fit right in with the team, a very solid addition to the Canucks, then he got seriously injured. He is not capable of playing like he had in the past and I am sorry to say he is not an option for the Canucks moving forward.

I understand people wondering if Malhotra has been wronged, been disrespected, or if management has gone about things in a " shady " manner. Please just educate yourselevs on the process of how we got to the Canucks shutting down Malhotra's season and his speaking out today.

It was made clear to Malhotra whe he was trying to come back from this injury what the Canucks could do, what the Canucks interests were and mostly it was made clear by management the opportunity they have given Malhotra to bounce back. It did not work. Thats real unfortunate, but its life.

For the life of me, people on here whine about players they call " plugs " etc and how the team needs to add strong pieces moving forward not having certain non-contributing elements. Yet Vancouver humanely shuts down Malhotra after going way out of their way to let him try and earn his spot on the team. And now people are unsure of how this was handled or are whining about how a player who does not fit in the club's plans right now whom is not contributing but a faceoff win here and there is likely being mistreated ?

Really ?

I am a Malhotra fan, but come on, have you guys not been watching him play ? he has justifiably been removed from the active roster.

I agree that Manny hasn't justified a spot but shouldn't he be waived, traded, benched, or sent to the minors as compared to just circumventing the cap?

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#81 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,594 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

Ah, that old chestnut again. The one about the player who we would have likely lost to waivers for nothing that we instead traded to fill a hole we had on D? Gramps used to tell us that one around the fire after dinner.

you forgot to mention the 1st round pick.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#82 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

Let him play, it's his choice. If MG doesn't like it, trade him to another team or buy him out so he can continue to do what he loves. Who are we or anyone else to tell him what he can and can't do with his life.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#83 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

FFS this team's guts are falling apart like a house of cards.

Everyone, brace yourselves. The $h!tstorm is approaching.

It actually feels like that right now with all the negative stuff coming in left and right. Manny in & out and back again, Kesler, Booth not 100%, Bieksa out, 8 vs. Detroit and loss to PHX, now Volpatti and never-ending Luongo/Schneider saga + quite a few teams making unexpected moves and our GM is doing nothing. Oh, wait! We're getting Ebbett back and Pinizzotto is given a shot when he's ready... :huh:
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#84 74Hunter74

74Hunter74

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,681 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:28 AM

When did Gillis become a Doctor? If Malhotra played the beginning of the season, that means he was cleared physcially to play. I am going to assume this injury is the same as Ohlunds where there has to be a certain percent of vision to play, if doctors cleared him then that is good enough. Shouldn't be up to Gillis.

And how is this forcing Malhorta into early retirment? At the end of this season he becomes a free agent and he go somewhere else to play. If somebody gives him a chance. This is not the same thing as Linden. Linden said if the Canucks didn't sign him, he would retire, as he didn't want to sign elsewhere. If Malhotra is offered a contract in the off season he takes it.

This whole thing is a gong show, and Gillis is just being stupid. He should either offer Manny up for trade or waive etc. I'd take Manny saying he can still play over Gillis who says he can't any play.

#85 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Here are my takeaways from watching Manny's interview...

(1) He is the consummate team player; accepting what is best for the team, even if the cost is losing his spot on the active roster (in this case, I don't get the sense that Manny feels that he's been wronged...though it's clear that he disagrees with MG's assessment and decision).

(2) The only organization that he wants to be a part of at this time is the Canucks. I don't know if this is because deep down he knows that no one else will give him a chance (which may be an unconscious admission that a part of him believes MG is right) or is because of his deep seeded loyalty to the Canucks...I presume it's a combination of the two.

(3) Mentally and emotionally, he is psyching himself up for life after his playing career. I thought that his responses to what's next was pretty telling...it seems MG is going to give Manny exposure to the many different elements of the hockey operations and Manny will be given the opportunity to determine what the best fit for him is...if this is the case, the Canucks is a first class organization.

(4) The obvious is Manny believes he has more to give on the ice...it's sad to see, and the sympathy and empathy meter is ramped high among the Canucks faithful, but I think Manny was given the chance to show what he could do in the first ten games...did he deserve a longer look? Maybe, but in the long term, I truly believe MG is doing what is best for Manny, and though he may disagree for the short term, it seems to me that Manny accepts this.

Edited by disisdayear, 28 February 2013 - 10:50 AM.

#86 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:12 AM

Really ?

I think the timing is just a bit weird. But, if it were simply that, MG would have moved him, bc telling the league he is done/out for the year does nothing if you're keeping him on 'IR' for cap space bc you can't bring him back given what has been said.

So from that perspective I 100% agree that MG is legitimately concerned. Moreover, players are just that, players. They learn to play through injuries as kids, teens etc. They are fighters and never want to say its over, I can't do it. Its ego, pride, a love for the game, and a willingness to fight through and end of the day that's Manny to a "t"..character. Perhaps, he just isn't ready to admit that he's done.

In addition, if MG was legitimately concerned, and Manny said trade me, how can MG in good conscience trade the guy? One, he's screwing over the other team and its likely against league rules (trading injured players, not sure where the line is here but this would be a grey area), and two, what if he got seriously hurt? How would MG live with himself? Now, its not MG's responsibility, and if he discloses his concerns to the other team up front you remove those issues. That being said, you get nothing for him.

Regardless its a lose / lose for MG. This wasn't a cap room move, it was out of legitmate concern.

#87 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

His passion is so strong. Hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries on a different team after this season.

#88 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:41 AM

His passion is so strong. Hate to say it but I wouldn't be surprised if he tries on a different team after this season.

#89 canidiot

canidiot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

all in all, i think this really is the best thing for manny if he is going to continue with the club. yes he is good at faceoffs. yes his level of compete is what we want from all our active players.
his game has been a bit guarded lately. understandable considering the rethink he must have had internally. you could not have expected him to come back with reckless or complete self sacrefice.
i think the best use of manny right now and in the near future is as a faceoff sparring partner. travel with the team, spend time on ice with our centers on a regular basis, and stay in shape in case the team changes their mind and needs him on the ice.

#90 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:57 AM

I love him to death, but he was playing very poorly even last year. Not sure what the issue is. I fully respect Malhotra's words. A true player like him will never ever ever quit. And I don't expect him too. That being said, MIke Gillis did the right thing. If MIke Gillis was truly a greedy man we could have traded Manny for a 7th round pick and get something out of this. But he's not doing that. He hasn't been the same since the eye injury. Watching the way he plays already gives it away.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.