The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don cherrys view on the canucks goaltending situation

yete

Well i do agree we really need to go with 1 guy and run with him down the stretch and into the playoffs. I don't think alternating guys is a good idea in the playoffs, you do need a guy to get into a groove. As far as who is being moved..i don't think MG is going to waiver on that. Everything i hear from his mouth leads me to believe that...at the same time obviously moving Luongo is going to be very difficult.

Huberdeau or any young talented player would be mismanaged as usual under AV and on the fourth line as AV doesn't coach. He just let the usual players lead the team. Hoping they get it done and keep making him look good. Exactly why they get preferred ice time that way he can continue as normal and not be exposed for what he is.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Cherry is right here. B-Mac said as much the other day.

Lu is relaxed because A. he is already set for life, no matter where he plays. B. He already is resigned to being traded....or not...he doesn't care anymore. C. He doesn't have the pressure of being the only #1 goalie on the team anymore.

Schneider on the other hand is always playing having to look over his shoulder. One bad game and ...yoink!...he'll join Ballard in the dog house. This wouldn't be out of the question if he was regarded as a mere rookie back-up. But he signed last Summer at the same time Lu was saying "its time to move on" and management made it clear they were shopping him. So Cory signed for less than market assuming that by now he would be a bonified #1.

That takes a mental shift. A lot of pro sports is the mental game. Going from signing to be the sole #1 last summer...to being part of a duo of equal #1s at the start of the season.....to now hearing his name thrown around as possible trade bait. This has to have an affect on his mental preparedness for games.

Think about it. If you were promoted in your job because you are young, motivated and talented. You sign with them knowing you could get a better salary somewhere else but do so out of loyalty and you also relish the idea of heading the department and taking on the responsibility. The older guy that you replaced is also good but is supposed to be moving on to another company. But then after you sign management decides to keep the veteran around to show you the ropes for awhile longer. Then as time passes, he's still there and is actually sharing half your job and getting half the credit. You feel the pressure one day and fumble on one small part of the job and this guy is asked to complete it for you. Its now changed in that management wants to keep him around just in case you have another bad day. So instead of enjoying your job you live in constant fear of screwing up. You even start to hear you may be laid off and the old guy might just get re-hired.

Its tough to work that way.

Don Cherry getys paid crap loads of money for his act on hockey night. He plays a load, overbearing buffon very well and a lot of people think that what you see is actually Don Cherry. It is part of the schtick that he gets paid to do.

Grapes actuall hockey knowledge most likely exceeds all of CDC combined, I'm sure a one on one conversation without cameras on would be very enlightening.

Don Cherry getys paid crap loads of money for his act on hockey night. He plays a load, overbearing buffon very well and a lot of people think that what you see is actually Don Cherry. It is part of the schtick that he gets paid to do.

Grapes actuall hockey knowledge most likely exceeds all of CDC combined, I'm sure a one on one conversation without cameras on would be very enlightening.

or bjgustad and a pick would suffice too.. lets get this done gillis, we need a centre and Florida needs a veteran goalie.

To Van:

Bjgustad

matthias

Clemensson

To Flordia:

Luongo

Schroeder

(even it out with draft picks which ever side needs them)

BOOM!

From all accounts of people who have actually met Grapes in person, what you see is what you get. Cherry is in his '70s and doesn't particularly care what people think of him. In actual fact, he is extremely popular amongst Canadians, so what you read in threads like this is actually the minority opinion.

As far as hockey knowledge is concerned, he has it in spades. People around here like to criticize him because he is an unapologetic Leaf and Bruin supporter, but you don't spend five decades involved in the game at the highest level without knowing a lot about it.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Cherry is right here. B-Mac said as much the other day.

Lu is relaxed because A. he is already set for life, no matter where he plays. B. He already is resigned to being traded....or not...he doesn't care anymore. C. He doesn't have the pressure of being the only #1 goalie on the team anymore.

Schneider on the other hand is always playing having to look over his shoulder. One bad game and ...yoink!...he'll join Ballard in the dog house. This wouldn't be out of the question if he was regarded as a mere rookie back-up. But he signed last Summer at the same time Lu was saying "its time to move on" and management made it clear they were shopping him. So Cory signed for less than market assuming that by now he would be a bonified #1.

That takes a mental shift. A lot of pro sports is the mental game. Going from signing to be the sole #1 last summer...to being part of a duo of equal #1s at the start of the season.....to now hearing his name thrown around as possible trade bait. This has to have an affect on his mental preparedness for games.

Think about it. If you were promoted in your job because you are young, motivated and talented. You sign with them knowing you could get a better salary somewhere else but do so out of loyalty and you also relish the idea of heading the department and taking on the responsibility. The older guy that you replaced is also good but is supposed to be moving on to another company. But then after you sign management decides to keep the veteran around to show you the ropes for awhile longer. Then as time passes, he's still there and is actually sharing half your job and getting half the credit. You feel the pressure one day and fumble on one small part of the job and this guy is asked to complete it for you. Its now changed in that management wants to keep him around just in case you have another bad day. So instead of enjoying your job you live in constant fear of screwing up. You even start to hear you may be laid off and the old guy might just get re-hired.

Its tough to work that way.

Cherry doesn't follow the Canucks. He only came out west after years of commenting on the leafs and ignoring the west. He comments on the leafs for five mins a week, not a bad job for millions a year. I couldn't care less what cherry had to say about the Canucks. Let him learn to pronounce luongos name for a start.

Thanks G. Good thoughts again.

I was looking at Santorelli as a throw in to your original idea (along the lines of quantity over quality) simply to flesh out potential return. Another reclamation project, perhaps.

I really like Matthias but I don't see Florida moving him so I was looking further down their depth chart. He would be a nice addition. He might be more available than Huberdeau or Bjugstad, but I'd assume Florida would be fairly hesitant to move him.

I see your point in CS's possible value but I think I will simply disagree. I would think his value would be something similar to the Varlamov deal, or Lindback. Bernier will also likely be in the mix for any team that was looking for a young starter, a comparable that might hamper negotiations for Schneider. I believe Luongo has more value than that, but I appreciate your view. I have never felt Lu would bring back a second line centre and a prospect/pick but I do think MG could really flesh out the bottom 6 with decent talent and still aquire a couple youth options.

Who knows, it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Thanks again.

You don't just trade someone because they are in demand. If anything players are that are in demand should probably never be traded, since talented youth is the best asset to hold on to.

You do some house cleaning, by removing future burdens and aging players for a decent return.

Never at any cost should an organization trade away its most valuable assets, makes zero sense for the long term future of the franchise.

Archived