The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Pronger Interview

Provost

I never thought I would see a day when I would feel bad for Pronger. Interesting to hear his take on having an eye injury and the danger he thinks it poses him on the ice. It kind of supports Gillis and the Canucks in their decision about Malhotra.

http://video.tsn.ca/...880025/clip/232

As someone who has suffered a bunch of concussions, I can really feel where he is coming from describing his day to day life.

how many people did he head shot and cause them to have concussions?

I'm sorry but this is the perfect example of karma ...the guy handed other players injuries all his career

Every player deserves to know that their last game was indeed their last game. They deserve that opportunity to enjoy the moment one last time. I feel bad for players like Pronger whose careers ended due to a freak accident like that.

Best of luck to him. Doesn't sound like playing in the NHL will ever happen for him again, but as long as he can move forward and be healthy, that's what matters

Ok well thank god his career ending due to injury. Is that better?

I just saw his elbow on Daniel and stomping on kesler... wish that punk got injured and forced out of the league 10 years ago. And he went on disrespecting mccamond and holmstrom saying those weren't his fault.

Hope he comes back and gets a blow to the head again

not to sound like a "hater" but I'm glad he's not playing due to all the cheap shots he dished out over the years. When guys like Ulf Samuelson, Jordan Tootoo, Pronger and others who make a career with their cheap shots are forced into retirement... I call it "a good day" for the sport of hockey.

not to sound like a "hater" but I'm glad he's not playing due to all the cheap shots he dished out over the years. When guys like Ulf Samuelson, Jordan Tootoo, Pronger and others who make a career with their cheap shots are forced into retirement... I call it "a good day" for the sport of hockey.

Something I begun to think about more often not only because I've been learning a bit about it lately, but also with the attention retired NFL players have been receiving regarding suicides/dementia/alzheimers, is what is exactly going on inside the heads of these guys when they are fighting each other,a vicious hit to the head occurs ,or when a player's head hits the ice from said hit.

It has been proven that the more traumas to the head that the risk of things like risk of alzheimers does increase. So even though they may not feel the immediate after effects now it's scary to think of what may potentially occur to many of these players, not only in the NHL but also in the NFL down the line. Will we see a whole barrage of players coming down with diseases like this? I certainly hope not. But there are players that have been paying for it post playing career like Keith Primeau and Eric Lindros can attest to the contrary. So I sure hope that's something Pronger takes into account when assessing whether he should ever play again or not, which is a shame because the game would lose what was such a dominating force on the blue line for so long.

Now I'm certainly not advocating for taking fighting or the physicality out of hockey and acknowledge as a contact sport there is a certain degree of risk that comes with it but it certainly is something that needs to be thought/talked about and addressed accordingly, either preemptively or hopefully through the research findings of such long term effects of head traumas yet published in the decades to come.

It also reinforces my support for how Gillis is handling Malhotra's vulnerability issue. His reduced (peripheral) vision certainly will put him at a disadvantage when on the ice and say somebody takes a cheap shot to his head, then what? I'd rather we not take that risk and play it safe because like MG said, as of now we simply don't know the long-term ramifications of things like concussions to the head. Now Malhotra won't take that decision lightly and will put up some resistance to it but he needs to look at his future not only on the ice, but off it. It would be better if Malhotra could look back and reflect on his career and wonder 'what if' rather than not be able to at all.

Watched him come into the league under the teachings of the great Al MacInnis http://en.wikipedia....iki/Al_MacInnis

In Big Al's hay day MacInnis fans may remember Al and his brother or father (not sure which) Clean out an entire bar :emot-parrot: It was a pretty huge news event here in Calgary .Those were the days of the true gladiators, the ones that defined the position for generations to come. They played with honor and protected the weaker players on their teams. Not sure if it was his time he endured in Edmonton :bigblush: but Pronger was no where near the demon he was later in his career. His point shot was feared by every goalie in his prime. His fists and flying elbows are now stuff of legend. I miss Pronger's early days but who am I kidding ? The league was so different then, there is no honor now

Really more like comedy central the last few years, many fans and even the majority of all sporstcasters on all major networks have publicly been disgusted by the officiating/blatant score management atrocities that occur in every arena. ok sorry mini rant over

The rats running around in this league now have no clue how lucky they are if not for the instigstor rule. Guys like Pronger lived to destroy weasels like that.

Archived