The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chinese Signs Out Of Hand in Richmond Says Petition

DonLever

It's great that Canada tries to be inclusive of all cultures/ethnicities. But when you have Chinese-only signs, menus, and whatnot in Canada (a country where English and French are the official languages), the business is not being very inclusive, is it?

Basically, they're saying that you have no business being in that area of Richmond if you can't understand their signage.

It's great that Canada tries to be inclusive of all cultures/ethnicities. But when you have Chinese-only signs, menus, and whatnot in Canada (a country where English and French are the official languages), the business is not being very inclusive, is it?

Basically, they're saying that you have no business being in that area of Richmond if you can't understand their signage.

People move here and they can get by just fine without learning English, that's kind of ridiculous imo. I get it if the person in question is elderly, but children and adults who do not give even the slightest effort to learn the language? Give me a break.

I have a Korean friend who works at a market in Aberdeen and it does happen that if he happens to speak English, some people will look at him with contempt.

I was born and raised here and can read a little bit because my parents made me take Chinese lessons when I was a kid. I definitely can't read most of the signs or a whole menu though. That's why, in my earlier post, I said that I feel like an outsider in Richmond even though I'm Chinese.

i agree it is not an inclusive gesture. but businesses that do that are limited to who they are selling it to obviously. with increase competition, perhaps some will reach out to cater to non chinese customers. for small mom and pop stores, it's probably not going to happen, cost too much to print new signs etc.

but unless they are essential services and public/government places, I don't think a draconian law makes sense. but having sensible bylaws or dialogue will be constructive.

like the case above with the cookies, telling the merchant that they will like to see english signs is constructive. and doing business there will give the merchants incentive to cater to the english speaking customers. I know many people think it should be automatic, but the market forces dont dictate that. there are too many chinese customers in richmond. 30 years ago in richmond they cant do that, because they will not have enough customers.

interesting how Canada don´t have an especific rule about this...

here the law is rigid. signs must be on our native language (portuguese), cities near the border also have signs in Portuguese and Spanish. many cities also have signs in Portuguese and English.

so many cities here have signs in 3 languages, in Portuguese, Spanish and English. even on highways...

it´s mandatory, even on private places and you will be in trouble if you disobew...

If it's on private property I think the owners can put whatever they want on their signs. We don't have any right to tell them what to put on their signs. Possession is nine tenths of the law, right?

If there were road signs in Mandarin then I would be up in arms about it.

And Deb, as awesome as your story was, no one forced you to choose that bank. I would put banks and restaurants in the same boat.

I've been at "that bank" for 30 years and my mortgage is there. I have no problem with Chinese signs, but have English also so I know what the hell is going on. And Wet, certainly private property owners are entitled to do what they please, but it's doing them a disservice to not cater to all. And is that really the way? - to not give a hoot? Works for us and it's our property? To not try to extend invitation to everyone in an effort to join together as a community? It's not really happening that way here.

I could play Rage Against the Machine at 3 in afternoon on my (private) deck every day but I don't because I care that those around me are comfortable and happy too. Richmond was always a community of "neighbours" that went out of their way to be friendly and accomodating to one another and to now say "private property - we don't care about you" is not something I welcome. It's very much an "all about me" attitude.

So is the important message of embracing everyone around us not somehow being lost here? Believe me, that's something that always made me feel special about the place I call home...I've never experienced this before. And it's nothing about racism - I grew up with mostly Japanese friends/neighbours. Native families (my Mom's best Bingo friends). We had people from Nigeria and Africa as neighbours...we all were family and worked together for mutual happiness. It takes a village stuff. We've always had a very diverse group in the community with people here from all over the world but there is definitely a feeling of entitlement that is new and unwelcoming. Gweilo license plate mentality that has no place here. We've had to deal with that and it's something new. It's not something we just cooked up because we're racists...it's a climate that is changing and not entirely in a positive way. There are kinks here. When people start to speak out and it just happens to involve a specific group of people, it doesn't mean their focus is not valid or it's a problem within them. But that's what happens - people throw up labels and stick their heads in the sand. All is not perfect, so why is it wrong to address it? Because feelings are hurt? Mine are important too.

It's not related to racism - that's just a good way for people to ignore sensitive issues that they don't want to look at. I attribute much of it to $$ that is now finding it's way here more than anything. But we're all of equal value as neighbours...that's an important message to remember. And to make everyone feel welcome makes it a better place for everyone...it's a two sided coin.

But Wet, you left out the "while..." part. That part's important too.

;)

Let's keep it all in context though and not extract things that work for some:

(j) advance multiculturalism throughout Canada
in harmony with the national commitment to the official languages of Canada.

So how is this happening if it's Chinese only in your view?

I agree with this. It's exclusive.

I was in my bank and they had a display of coffee, cookies, etc. and only Chinese signs on the table. It ticked me off, as there were other things and I wasn't clear on what the deal was. So I asked for the branch manager and told her that, since I could not read the signs I presumed they said "take all of this home, Deb". I picked up an entire pack of cookies and walked out, just to make my point. Which likely translated to "Deb's an ass". Whatever, it irked me.

I believe one of two official languages should always be displayed with prominence.

Archived