The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Lain Talk

Joel Heyman

Not surprising. How could not want a 6'6" guy that can skate and win faceoffs on your depth chart.

If Lapierre moves up to the tthird line again, I would imagine Lain slots in on the fourth over Ebbett.

Doesn't he also throw some pretty nasty hits? I can see that being extremely useful in the playoffs.

Not surprising. How could not want a 6'6" guy that can skate and win faceoffs on your depth chart.

If Lapierre moves up to the tthird line again, I would imagine Lain slots in on the fourth over Ebbett.

I'd take Lain for 5-7 mins per night over Ebbett any day. His frame would definitely come in handy during the playoffs, and he can win faceoffs unlike Ebbett. Although I suppose Schroeder's also in the mix as well, if AV wanted Schroeder on the 3rd line and Lapierre on the 4th.

First they have to resign him ! according to CapGeek any way

Forward Kellan Lain A Free Agent This Summer

tcw_canuckslogo.jpgVancouver Canucks forward/prospect Kellan Lain will be a restricted free agent this summer, according to Capgeek.com.

Lain signed a one-year entry-level contract with the Canucks back on March 16. It was believed he would sign an amateur tryout to join the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League and the contract would ‘kick in’ during the 2013-14 season.

In actuality, his contract ‘kicked in’ immediately and he was loaned to the Wolves on March 20—he did not sign a tryout.

This might partly explain the decision to recall Lain as a ‘black ace’ for the playoffs as the team probably wanted to get the most of his contract that he signed.

He will be a restricted free agent on July 1 and the Canucks will have to qualify him at one-year $874,125 to retain his rights. The collective bargaining agreement states any player that earns between $660,000 and $1,000,000 have to be qualified at 105%.

Anyone know why we bothered signing him to only a one year entry contract?

Because of his age, there's a restriction on signing undrafted players to ELC in the CBA. Basically CBA only let us sign him to a one year elc

First they have to resign him ! according to CapGeek any way

Forward Kellan Lain A Free Agent This Summer

tcw_canuckslogo.jpgVancouver Canucks forward/prospect Kellan Lain will be a restricted free agent this summer, according to Capgeek.com.

Lain signed a one-year entry-level contract with the Canucks back on March 16. It was believed he would sign an amateur tryout to join the Chicago Wolves of the American Hockey League and the contract would ‘kick in’ during the 2013-14 season.

In actuality, his contract ‘kicked in’ immediately and he was loaned to the Wolves on March 20—he did not sign a tryout.

This might partly explain the decision to recall Lain as a ‘black ace’ for the playoffs as the team probably wanted to get the most of his contract that he signed.

He will be a restricted free agent on July 1 and the Canucks will have to qualify him at one-year $874,125 to retain his rights. The collective bargaining agreement states any player that earns between $660,000 and $1,000,000 have to be qualified at 105%.

At least he is only an RFA.

Good to hear Gillis mention Lain amongst Gaunce, Jensen, and Corrado as young players the Canucks are looking to take the next step. I wonder if he could see some NHL action next season - he is 23 years old already, which works in his favour, and he's good on the defensive side of the game - plus faceoffs which have to be a big plus considering our struggles with them in the absence of Malhotra. Not to mention he's a huge body which goes well with the "trend" Gillis spoke about.

• 1 month later...

Given our current cap woes and sudden stockpiling of young centremen, what do you guy's think is Lain's probability of making the team?

Is he a viable option as a 4th line C? Or was he brought in as an AHLer?

He's big and hard to knock off the puck but I wouldn't not resign Lappy just to let him play.. I will be pretty upset if they let Lapp go for this guy but Gillis wants to get younger and bigger so...

Given our current cap woes and sudden stockpiling of young centremen, what do you guy's think is Lain's probability of making the team?

He'll get a shot at the 4th line, but I think he needs half a year to a year in the A till he's completely ready. He only played a handful of pro games last year, so no rush.

He was definitely brought in to have a shot at the NHL. People are looking at his offensive production while with the Wolves last year (which was none) but ignoring he was immediately used in key situations for important faceoffs and matchups against other team's top lines. That shouldn't be overlooked.

In college, he didn't produce a lot of points apart from on the PP. He isn't likely to contribute a lot in the NHL, certainly not right now, but he can contribute physically, defensively and on faceoffs. Whether or not that'll be enough to beat out any other 4th line candidates is another story.

He was definitely brought in to have a shot at the NHL. People are looking at his offensive production while with the Wolves last year (which was none) but ignoring he was immediately used in key situations for important faceoffs and matchups against other team's top lines. That shouldn't be overlooked.

In college, he didn't produce a lot of points apart from on the PP. He isn't likely to contribute a lot in the NHL, certainly not right now, but he can contribute physically, defensively and on faceoffs. Whether or not that'll be enough to beat out any other 4th line candidates is another story.

I think he can get a roster spot. If he can contribute physically, defensively, and win faceoffs, he's a step in the right direction for the Canucks 4th line even if he doesn't add much on offense.

Can he play wing as well? Having to C's on the fourth would be ideal IMO whether that's Lappy, a UFA, Gaunce etc... Him with Weise or Sestito and one of those options as C could be good if he's ready.

Archived