The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Lain Talk

Joel Heyman

Sick hands? I don't know what player you've been watching for the passed few years but Weise's hands are stone. Very frustrating player to watch, especially with the puck. Sestito may be slower but has better hands and hockey IQ. Knows how to control and protect the puck better.

He said good hands, which he does have. And Sestito with hockey IQ?... Really? If he had hockey IQ you'd think he could kill penalties, like Weise can

Sick hands? I don't know what player you've been watching for the passed few years but Weise's hands are stone. Very frustrating player to watch, especially with the puck. Sestito may be slower but has better hands and hockey IQ. Knows how to control and protect the puck better.

I vote Sestito, Wiese does nothing. Another skate wide guy.

I vote Sestito, Wiese does nothing. Another skate wide guy.

You should watch some more games and watch the little things. Weise can skate, Sestito cannot, Weise can kill penalties, Sestito cannot, Weise has speed which leads to hits. Whenever Sestito fights he gets rocked everytime, that doesn't help the team. Sestito is just a slow plug who can barely skate. Weise is the fastest skater on the team as of last year so atleast we can say something that Weise is the best at, we can't say what Sestito is best at because he is a plug that does literally nothing.

Kellan Lain is signed for cheap, already looks like a NHL 4th liner. He is signed for this year and the next so I think we should take advantage of that, if Lain is playing in the Utica this season and plays well late this year shows he can play in the 4th line and gets called up, deal Richardson in the trade deadline?

Richardson is also signed for 2 years and I don't believe it is worth keeping a 1 million dollar player in our system when we can have a better, younger player in Lain for half as cheap.

Lain doesn't look to have upside beyond the 4th line at this point. Perhaps in future he develops NHL-level offence similar to Brian Boyle and can move up, but Richardson is ahead of him in being able to more reliably fill the 3rd line role until one of our other young players (Schroeder, Gaunce, Horvat) is ready to do so.

For me it's less about him showing he can play the 4th line role for if we keep Richardson or not, and more about if we have others step up to solidify the 3rd line. Lain playing well will just force more competition for the 3rd line C.

Kellan Lain is signed for cheap, already looks like a NHL 4th liner. He is signed for this year and the next so I think we should take advantage of that, if Lain is playing in the Utica this season and plays well late this year shows he can play in the 4th line and gets called up, deal Richardson in the trade deadline?

Richardson is also signed for 2 years and I don't believe it is worth keeping a 1 million dollar player in our system when we can have a better, younger player in Lain for half as cheap.

Personally if Lain makes the team I wouldn't mind a Richardson-Lain-Weise fourth line, all players that can actually play hockey and be at least average defensively. Definitely better than having Sestito.

Personally if Lain makes the team I wouldn't mind a Richardson-Lain-Weise fourth line, all players that can actually play hockey and be at least average defensively. Definitely better than having Sestito.

I agree. Him and Richardson can both take draws as well.

Someone mentioned something in the GDT that I'll be looking closely for in the future with Lain. They said during faceoff he changes how he holds his stick during draws depending if it's a left or right side faceoff. I know lots of players will switch to a overhand grip of the stick to win draws back and I'm not sure if that's what the poster meant or if he meant that lane holds his stick as a left hander on the left side and as a right hander on the right side. If it's the 2nd it definitely makes him an interesting faceoff guy.

Someone mentioned something in the GDT that I'll be looking closely for in the future with Lain. They said during faceoff he changes how he holds his stick during draws depending if it's a left or right side faceoff. I know lots of players will switch to a overhand grip of the stick to win draws back and I'm not sure if that's what the poster meant or if he meant that lane holds his stick as a left hander on the left side and as a right hander on the right side. If it's the 2nd it definitely makes him an interesting faceoff guy.

thats why people sometimes compare him to Paul Gaustad because Gaustad does the same thing as well.

Not sure if someone else noticed it but I mentioned that in my assessment in the GDT (and that's what I meant - he switched from LH to RH depending on which side of the ice the faceoff was on). It was interesting to see because not many players do it. It was even more interesting because he won those faceoffs.

I don't think it's going to win him a roster spot or anything, but it adds versatility. Might not always have to get Kes to take RH face-offs.

I liked Lain's game. Simple and effective even if it was only in limited minutes. He seems to have decent awareness of where to be on the ice in both ends even if he is not a big contributor on offence. Not an overly aggressive guy but his size and speed (and his willingness to hit) obviously made him intimidating for opposing D when he was forechecking. Putting pressure on them is likely to produce more mistakes.

Personally, I am all for Lain centering the 4th line. Outside of Richardson, there aren't really any other guys that you would either want to have centering the 4th line since it a. could stunt their development (Gaunce, Horvat), or b. is not likely to be a role they are suited for (Schroeder, Santorelli).

Archived