The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 7.0

A compliance buyout, as unpalatable as it may be to fans, is the only option makes that nasty $5.3 million cap hit go away for good, not just until Bobby retires.

Do the right thing Mike, beg the owner for a Luongo buyout and take the heat from the media and fans that is sure to follow.

Don't saddle this franchise and it's fans with a $5.3 cap disadvantage until the year 2022 just to save face; don't saddle the next GM with your albatross, do the right thing.

No player is ever untradeable IMHO. It is all about what he gives to the team and the timeline the team is in as to whether the player can be best utilized. If a Schneider deal can return more than a Lu deal so be it. A deal has to be made one way or the other.

Van has a brutal history of hanging on to players and letting them walk as UFA's. It is an org killer. Jovo, Ohlund, Naslund, Morrison, Salo, Rome, Torrres etc.

Bottom line is that NHL quality players know their careers are fragile. They have to play to nail that contract that yields financial security. They have to play to maintain what got them to the NHL in the first place. That is why Lu wants to move on and that is why Schneider wants to be a #1.

A compliance buyout, as unpalatable as it may be to fans, is the only option makes that nasty $5.3 million cap hit go away for good, not just until Bobby retires.

Do the right thing Mike, beg the owner for a Luongo buyout and take the heat from the media and fans that is sure to follow.

Don't saddle this franchise and it's fans with a $5.3 cap disadvantage until the year 2022 just to save face; don't saddle the next GM with your albatross, do the right thing.

Schnedier should not have come in ... 100% dumbass move to bring him in vs the sharks... he cost us two games.

Vs the kings he was good but I also don't think he should have come in... it was Roberto's team and he's the better goalie.

And he played well vs the hawks... but what kind of mid twenties pro hockey player has a panic attack? Luongo saved the series when Cory choked. He went on to play lights out vs Rinne and owned niemi.

Give it up Apollo....Lou...is NOT the better goalie or the team would be starting him. The team would be trading Schneider if that was the case, even Lou said, its Schneider's team now. Your arguments don't hold water pal and your posts are reeking of desperation for Lou. Go golfing and forget about it.

No player is ever untradeable IMHO. It is all about what he gives to the team and the timeline the team is in as to whether the player can be best utilized. If a Schneider deal can return more than a Lu deal so be it. A deal has to be made one way or the other.

Van has a brutal history of hanging on to players and letting them walk as UFA's. It is an org killer. Jovo, Ohlund, Naslund, Morrison, Salo, Rome, Torrres etc.

Bottom line is that NHL quality players know their careers are fragile. They have to play to nail that contract that yields financial security. They have to play to maintain what got them to the NHL in the first place. That is why Lu wants to move on and that is why Schneider wants to be a #1.

While I agree it is a forgone conclusion that Luo is gone(and we will not get a good deal in a trade). if schneider is a better goalie and is our future number one he has to improve his playoff play, he has a losing record when it comes to starting in the playoffs and if he truely is a better goalie he needs to play like it when given the chance. A number one goalie is expected to steal a game or two regardless of crappy play in front of him. As the number one he is going to be roasted in canuck town when Luongo is gone if he cant steal a game. Overall he has played better during the season than Luongo in front of the same mediocre play by our offense and defense but even though both goalies lost two a piece Luongo imo played better and should not have been pulled for games 3 and 4.

I see more than a couple teams that may want a goaltender after these playoffs.

The only question is do they gamble on the cheap unproven goalies, or gamble on the expensive veteran.

I think a deal can be done at the draft personally. I don't think a 1st round pick and a prospect would be out of the question depending on the team.

I see more than a couple teams that may want a goaltender after these playoffs.

The only question is do they gamble on the cheap unproven goalies, or gamble on the expensive veteran.

I think a deal can be done at the draft personally. I don't think a 1st round pick and a prospect would be out of the question depending on the team.

The funny thing is that both goalies have had shots at getting this team back to it s former glory and neither has gotten it done. Both are great goaltenders. I think it s time to focus on more than just the goalies. The team in front of them need to take some of the blame as well. I saw very few, if any, weak goals go in during the series. I saw a lot of defensive let downs and weak effort. Hanging the goalies out to dry, it seems, has become a bad habit.

Archived