The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roger Ebert Dies at 70

BRAVEMAN91

Roger Ebert Dies at 70

29 minutes ago | Variety - Film News | See recent Variety - Film News news »

MV5BMTQ4NjY1ODc3M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjUwODA2NQ@@._V1._SY140_.jpg

Film critic Roger Ebert was not only the first film critic to win a Pulitzer Prize, but one of the only critics known to the general public, thanks to his long-running movie review shows such as “Sneak Previews” and his thumbs-up or down movie reviews. He died Thursday of complications from cancer, according to the Chicago Sun-Times. He was 70.

The avuncular champion of movies big and small had been fighting thyroid cancer since 2002, and in the past few years spoke with a voice machine. The latest show to bear his name is the PBS series “Roger Ebert Presents at the Movies,” in which he briefly appears on camera with a prosthetic chin though other critics shoulder reviewing duties.

He apperared on the Oprah Winfrey show in 2010, speaking with a machine that tailored his speech more closely to his natural voice.

He continued reviewing films and kept in the public eye »

2 thumbs up for a great career RIP

Not a big fan of some of his criticism. Like the whole thumb up/thumb down thing, or how he often put himself into his criticism, but you've gotta respect the dude's career.

If people paid more attention to film critics, I wonder if the state of the movie industry would be better.

Don't know how much pain the guy was in, but I remember reading that he said he would no longer treat the cancer if it came back again as he was tired of it.

Him and Siskel worked well together, and the thumbs up/down method is an easier way to rate a movie than out of 4 or 5 stars (or the letter grade system). Like all reviewers, I didn't agree with everything he said but I respected his opinion.

Archived