Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Who says we can't draft late round talent?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 Sixteen W's

Sixteen W's

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:38 AM

POPULAR

Jannik Hansen, drafted 287th overall in the 9th round by the Canucks has 15 points in his last 18 games. That's tied for the team lead with Henrik and more anyone else, including the other Sedin. He also kills penalties, takes almost none (6PIM), plays on the powerplay, and has 2 game winning goals. He's also missed no games in the last 3 years (minus a 1 game suspension).

His cap hit is 1.35 this year, and 1.1 the following year. The team may have some long contracts and overpaid players, but they've done a heck of a job with this guy.

eptISvF.png

#2 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Amen

Bandeau5.jpg

#3 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,090 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Honey Badger.
Posted Image

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Ok, so that was clearly worth a new thread versus posting it in another thread about how we can't draft late round talent. If you can't think of more than one player as an example (and there are more), you should probably hold off on posting until you have something a little more substantial, and then you can go post it somewhere where someone is saying our drafting sucks.

Having said that, Honey Badger don't give a ...

Edited by elvis15, 05 April 2013 - 09:52 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#5 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,435 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

POPULAR

We can't even draft early round talent.

#6 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

POPULAR

We can't even draft early round talent.

Hodgson, Schroeder, Schnieder, Sedins, Grabner, Kesler, Raymond, and Edler (depends on if you consider 3rd round early or not I suppose) all disagree with you.... Also you have to take into account where the Canucks finish.. pretty consistently 20th+ selection position, not exactly a slam dunk of NHL superstars left there.
Posted Image

#7 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,085 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

Steal contract by Gillis, he could have easily got at least 2.5 on the market.

#8 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

That's one player out of how many?
Posted Image

#9 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

Jannik Hansen, drafted 287th overall in the 9th round by the Canucks has 15 points in his last 18 games. That's tied for the team lead with Henrik and more anyone else, including the other Sedin. He also kills penalties, takes almost none (6PIM), plays on the powerplay, and has 2 game winning goals. He's also missed no games in the last 3 years (minus a 1 game suspension).

His cap hit is 1.35 this year, and 1.1 the following year. The team may have some long contracts and overpaid players, but they've done a heck of a job with this guy.

I don't think many people complain about the Canucks' ability to draft late round talent or develop undrafted players, just look at the roster:

Bieksa (5th round)
Edler (3rd round)
Hansen (9th round)
Burrows (undrafted)
Tanev (undrafted)

The problem in my opinion is that (a) regular season success means late first round draft picks ( B) many second round picks have been traded away © poor drafting decisions. Not many teams get lucky in the late rounds. Detroit is the only team that really consistently finds these gems.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#10 topbananas

topbananas

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:29 AM

I dont know, who says we can't draft late round talent?
stan smyl 2.0

Posted Yesterday, 09:07 AM

It's not 7.5 per year, Kesler's at 5 million and Malhotra's at 2.5 million

#11 c00kies

c00kies

Cookie Monster

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

I know that the circumstances made this happen, but the only Canuck player in the HHOF was drafted in the 6th round. Just thought I'd bring this up with him being in town :)
Posted Image
Thanks to Blueberries for the sig :)

#12 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Ok, so that was clearly worth a new thread versus posting it in another thread about how we can't draft late round talent. If you can't think of more than one player as an example (and there are more), you should probably hold off on posting until you have something a little more substantial, and then you can go post it somewhere where someone is saying our drafting sucks.

Exactly, and neither should you . :lol:
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#13 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,554 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

Canucks have the most trouble in the second round, between poor drafting and trading away picks.

Outside of Patrick White and Nathan Smith our first round picks have been pretty decent, the rest are NHL talent albeit we have had some unfortunate circumstances.

In the last 20 years the only 2nd round picks that have made the NHL are Mason Raymond and Artem Chubarov and neither one are or were exactly top talent. Over that stretch we should have seen about 5 second round players contribute, and that is with trading away a few picks.

Edited by canucklehead44, 05 April 2013 - 11:14 AM.

Sig too big.

#14 yete

yete

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

wow lol

none of these players are gillis drafts

so far every player gillis has drafted has been a bust or still not ready at all

were as other teams have there draft picks chipping in CANUCKS DONT

#15 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:25 AM

POPULAR

wow lol

so far every player gillis has drafted has been a bust or still not ready at all

Gillis has only been the GM of this team for five NHL drafts in which he has had four first round picks:

Cody Hodgson
Jordan Schroeder
Niklas Jensen
Brendan Gaunce
Frankie Corrado

He also drafted Frank Corrado, who is arguably one of the top 4-5 Candian Junior defencemen.

I don't have many complaints about his draft history.

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

#16 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

I know that the circumstances made this happen, but the only Canuck player in the HHOF was drafted in the 6th round. Just thought I'd bring this up with him being in town :)

The greatest hockey player of all time wasn't drafted at all.

#17 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

wow lol

No capital letters to start sentences
No punctuation
No clue between the difference of "where" and "were"
No one cares what you say

Edited by nateb123, 05 April 2013 - 11:47 AM.

Keswho.jpg

#18 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

No capital letters to start sentences
No punctuation
No clue between the difference of "where" and "were"
No one cares what you say

Don't forget 'there' instead of 'their'. Also, don't forget general lack of hockey knowledge. Cody Hodgson has had a very good year this year despite Buffalo's mediocre season (at best).

#19 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,601 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

The greatest hockey player of all time wasn't drafted at all.

What are you talking about? Cody Hodgson was totally drafted! :bigblush:

Keswho.jpg

#20 SynysterGates

SynysterGates

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

The only reason we got Bure in the 6th round is because nobody knew he was available. He would have been a top 5 otherwise

Edited by SynysterGates, 05 April 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#21 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

Remember the name Tommernes? 7th round selection by the Canucks.

You'll be seeing him in the next couple years.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#22 Apples

Apples

Rarity

• Members
  • 24,752 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hansen is having quite the season. Top 2 or 3 players on the nucks this year and most consistent

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#23 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

resigning Hansen might be tricky because his contract is up the same year the Sedin's is too and resigning them will be the priority. Hansen will be getting a big raise too the way he's playing he's only making 1.3 mil

#24 Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Bring_Back_Bertuzzi

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

you said it

luo_sig_with_words.jpg

#25 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,491 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

POPULAR

Clearly the OP doesn't realize this is your site and that you make the rules.

What a buzz kill.

Do you run around at parties putting coasters under everyone's drink?

P.S. OP I liked your thread.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 05 April 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#26 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Remember the name Tommernes? 7th round selection by the Canucks.

You'll be seeing him in the next couple years.

He is a LD, if he was a RD he would be here sooner I bet, excellent powerplay quarter back, from what I hear
Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#27 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

PAYYY for Yahhnick when he's due! Pay for an alluring, exotic gorgeous masseusse to rub his aching muscles. Give this man an American house, chinese chef, italian car, french maid...Just keep giving so the badger will never have to give a hoot 'bout'nuthin..Ever again!

KEY part of our core, a gentleman AND a scholar.

#28 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,982 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Clearly the OP doesn't realize this is your site and that you make the rules.

What a buzz kill.

Do you run around at parties putting coasters under everyone's drink?

P.S. OP I liked your thread.

Hay guiz, we gots teh Honey Badger und hes purty gud but sumbodi sad we cant drft gud so i mad tis thrd to tel em we can.

/sarcasm

It's not like I don't like Hansen, but I'm not sure he's locked down a watertight argument against other people (in other threads) suggesting we haven't drafted very well. He mentions one player, when there have been plenty more (but also plenty of failures as well).

The point I'm making is it'd be great if we could discuss it in one of the threads where people have been talking about our drafting already: Review: HAS our drafting/development Actually Improved U...

If he wants to make a thread just to say Hansen's great, there's one for that too (a few actually):
Jannik Hansen's maturity into a legitimate scoring th...
Has Hansen become a 2nd line player?
Make Jannik Hansen Captain
Jannik Hansen

I'm not saying that Hansen's bad or our drafting hasn't produced good players, just that there are already pretty decent threads discussing what the OP is trying to say. It's not my rules (although there certainly are board rules to that effect) but my opinion that creating multiple threads on the same subject is much less useful than one thread where people can discuss a particular topic.

Edited by elvis15, 05 April 2013 - 03:53 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#29 monsterdash

monsterdash

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:58 PM

Not BAD... then again:

Pavel Datsyuk - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 6 #171 overall 1998 NHL Entry Draft

Henrik Zetterberg - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 7 #210 overall 1999 NHL Entry Draft

Sergei Fedorov - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 4 #74 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

Tomas Holmstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 10 #257 overall 1994 NHL Entry Draft

Nicklas Lidstrom - Selected by Detroit Red Wings round 3 #53 overall 1989 NHL Entry Draft

We're not quite Detroit.

#30 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,379 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

POPULAR

Hay guiz, we gots teh Honey Badger und hes purty gud but sumbodi sad we cant drft gud so i mad tis thrd to tel em we can.

/sarcasm

It's not like I don't like Hansen, but I'm not sure he's locked down a watertight argument against other people (in other threads) suggesting we haven't drafted very well. He mentions one player, when there have been plenty more (but also plenty of failures as well).

The point I'm making is it'd be great if we could discuss it in one of the threads where people have been talking about our drafting already: Review: HAS our drafting/development Actually Improved U...

If he wants to make a thread just to say Hansen's great, there's one for that too (a few actually):
Jannik Hansen's maturity into a legitimate scoring th...
Has Hansen become a 2nd line player?
Make Jannik Hansen Captain
Jannik Hansen

I'm not saying that Hansen's bad or our drafting hasn't produced good players, just that there are already pretty decent threads discussing what the OP is trying to say. It's not my rules (although there certainly are board rules to that effect) but my opinion that creating multiple threads on the same subject is much less useful than one thread where people can discuss a particular topic.

While you are quoting board rules:

REPORTING POSTS

If you see a post or thread violating the rules, please use the Report Post function, and let the moderators deal with it. Note that reporting a post does not give you the right to break rules in retaliation. Please do not post that you have reported someone else, as that will likely make the situation worse and could be considered trolling.

Do not be a mini-mod. Telling other users to stop trolling, flaming or baiting will probably not make the situation better. Spamming the rules and telling people you have reported them will be considered trolling. Report the post and leave the rest to the moderation team.

All reported posts are sent to a moderation queue which is routinely cleared by the moderation team. Please allow at least 12 hours for a moderator response (although we are usually quite quick). If no action is taken on your reported post, please feel free to ask the moderators (via personal message) about it. Understand that moderators are not required to take action on every moderated post, as they may not see the situation the same way as you do.

I personally have no problem with your sig, and maybe you've cleared this with the mods, but your signature seems to be a form of commercial advertising.

8. There will be no advertising or selling of any kind on this board.

This includes selling tickets or merchandise, referal/invite links or soliciting to join another message board. Any promotional content posted or displayed in signature or profiles will not be tolerated. Commercial advertising will be deleted on sight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.