25 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Im kinda curious as to why we didnt go after him. Or get him for that matter. I easily would have traded raymond, sweatt, friesen, 2nd, 3rd for him

I understand we are going for it all in the next few years but this guy is a stud. He is going to be a franchise player no doubt. I can see him being like jonathan toews.
Posted Image

#2 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

Elvis is coming...............
Posted Image

#3 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Elvis is coming...............

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#4 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

You guys are mean. I guess I should take it as a compliment I'm being used as a replacement for IBTL and the spiderman pictures.

But seriously, this should be in Proposals or the Forsberg/Erat trade thread.

Edited by elvis15, 08 April 2013 - 05:16 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#5 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

You guys are mean. I guess I should take it as a compliment I'm being used as a replacement for IBTL and teh spiderman pictures.

But seriously, this should be in proposals or the Forsberg thread.

Ya it should actually, wasnt thinking
Posted Image

#6 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

You guys are mean. I guess I should take it as a compliment I'm being used as a replacement for IBTL and the spiderman pictures.

:lol:

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#7 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Because we don`t need him. He won`t be Jonathan Toews anytime soon and I just dont see him being that great.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#8 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Because we don`t need him. He won`t be Jonathan Toews anytime soon and I just dont see him being that great.

Why dont u think he will be that great?
Posted Image

#9 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:24 PM

I think he is more comparable to Cory Perry than Johnathon Toews.

zackass.png

#10 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Hahahaha, too funny :lol:

RIP LB RR PD

#11 Plum

Plum

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Why dont u think he will be that great?

He dropped so low for a reason and I just haven`t seen anything spectacular. Yakupov looks great but will he be a kovalchuck or ovie, doubt it. Drouin on the other hand has great hands which could make him successful, but that`s not the NHL. I don`t think they`ll be another Crosby or Ovechkin.

Kevin Fiala will be a star.

#12 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Ya it should actually, wasnt thinking

You're making this too easy...

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#13 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

Im kinda curious as to why we didnt go after him. Or get him for that matter. I easily would have traded raymond, sweatt, friesen, 2nd, 3rd for him

I understand we are going for it all in the next few years but this guy is a stud. He is going to be a franchise player no doubt. I can see him being like jonathan toews.

We couldn't give up what Washington wanted, Burrows Kesler or one of the Sedins would be the only ones that would offer as much or more value than Erat

#14 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:48 PM

Forsberg is not even close to Toews... He's a good skater, has a good shot release, has good size and good playmaking ability. Lots of good, nothing great. Think of Blake Wheeler as a good comparison.
Posted Image

#15 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:59 PM

We couldn't give up what Washington wanted, Burrows Kesler or one of the Sedins would be the only ones that would offer as much or more value than Erat

This pretty much.

#16 Gustavo Fring

Gustavo Fring

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

Are you a mod? lol every thread that isn't in the right section or has been discussed before, youre the one that pounces on the op :P

No way I'd give up our roster player for forsberg.
Posted Image

#17 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

I think you guys are undervaluing him a lot. He was in the top 3 for a lot of mock drafts and was projected to go top 3, the reason i think he dropeed was because of all the d men who were needed more. I think he has the leadership qualities and ok maybe hes not going to be the next toews but toews is the player he reminds me of. And i think we did have the pieces to acquire him without giving away our future. I dont see how erat is worth so much. Hes good but i mean raymond, 2nd > erat. So not sure how we didnt have the pieces to acquire him, like i said in the opening post raymond, sweatt, friesen, 2nd, 3rd i think could have gotten him. I think that package is much better then erat and latta
Posted Image

#18 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

Are you a mod? lol every thread that isn't in the right section or has been discussed before, youre the one that pounces on the op :P

No way I'd give up our roster player for forsberg.

Did I say I was a mod? More importantly, am I incorrect that this is (was actually, it's in Proposals now) in the wrong section or that it already has a thread it could go in? The OP already agreed with that and it was moved as I mentioned. I am on here a lot though...

And your reasoning for why it's a bad trade is because we give up a roster player for him? Even if we were considering letting Raymond go as a cap casualty, or if he was replaced by Booth as a cap dump for us? I'd drop the picks, and maybe one of the prospects even, so I wouldn't do the trade as suggested, but I wouldn't be that offended if it was Raymond and Sweatt for Forsberg.

Edited by elvis15, 09 April 2013 - 09:46 AM.

#19 Alex Burrows 14

Alex Burrows 14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Did I say I was a mod? More importantly, am I incorrect that this is (was actually, it's in Proposals now) in the wrong section or that it already has a thread it could go in? The OP already agreed with that and it was moved as I mentioned. I am on here a lot though...

And your reasoning for why it's a bad trade is because we give up a roster player for him? Even if we were considering letting Raymond go as a cap casualty, or if he was replaced by Booth as a cap dump for us? I'd drop the picks, and maybe one of the prospects even, so I wouldn't do the trade as suggested, but I wouldn't be that offended if it was Raymond and Sweatt for
Forsberg.

But i think washington would want more
Posted Image

#20 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

He was simply the steal of the draft for WSH, i'm so disappointed in them trading away such a top quality player, I guess they felt they had enough young talent that he became an expendable piece, I also feel McPhee was under a lot of pressure to make the playoffs, they've been through 3 couches in 2 years his job was next on the chopping block.
He did drop in the draft but he also openly admitted he wouldn't be making the jump to the NHL in his first year. Just think 8 players that were selected before him we D he was the 3rd highest drafted forward last year. He will be a star in this league, he's got speed, hands, leadership, and size. If I'm Gillis I throw the book at bringing him in from NSH. Imagine what he could become with a couple of his fellow swedes mentoring him.

#21 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

But i think washington would want more

Oh, I agree they'd likely want a little more, although Raymond might be the right piece to help for right now. I wonder if they wouldn't take one of Rodin, Grenier or maybe even LaBate along with Raymond for us to get back Forsberg though.

Forsberg is a higher end prospect in return for us giving up a roster player and a prospect, although that doesn't help our team going into the playoffs. Raymond is a more affordable offensive player (albeit a pending UFA) at $2M+ less cap hit than Erat so that could be a plus for them.

I actually proposed a deal on their boards, but the posters that replied didn't think it was a good trade for them:

Neuvirth, Forsberg and a 2nd
for
Luongo, Raymond and Anton Rodin

I weighted it a bit in their favour I thought, but they said no and they'd rather trust Holtby. Some were even thinking Erat would be better for them despite the cap worry.

#22 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,896 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

Really?

I would have thought Lou for Forsberg is exactly the trade they would have needed... edit > the value we needed.

Indrpendent; honey badger???

Oh, I agree they'd likely want a little more, although Raymond might be the right piece to help for right now. I wonder if they wouldn't take one of Rodin, Grenier or maybe even LaBate along with Raymond for us to get back Forsberg though.

Forsberg is a higher end prospect in return for us giving up a roster player and a prospect, although that doesn't help our team going into the playoffs. Raymond is a more affordable offensive player (albeit a pending UFA) at $2M+ less cap hit than Erat so that could be a plus for them.

I actually proposed a deal on their boards, but the posters that replied didn't think it was a good trade for them:

Neuvirth, Forsberg and a 2nd
for
Luongo, Raymond and Anton Rodin

I weighted it a bit in their favour I thought, but they said no and they'd rather trust Holtby. Some were even thinking Erat would be better for them despite the cap worry.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 09 April 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#23 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

Raymond was not the player Wash needed. Erat is a far more complete player that can make others better. Pretty under-rated.

"What players need is the right kind of strength and power. That includes learning to understand that leverage and positioning can be just as important as raw strength when it comes to winning battles in the game. It's more about timing and athleticism --and avoiding injury--than it is about how much you can bench press. I don't know how many times I've seen a guy with the physique of a defensive end line up a guy half his size, only to bounce off when he connects. Sure, there is room in the game for big guys who can throw their weight around. But for the most part, players are smart enough to see them coming--and strong enough to protect the puck when they arrive. There are trainers out there who know how to devlop hockey-specific strength--though a trainer can help only if a player follows the program. All too often, I've seen players sign up with the best trainer, but not show up for their workouts and never to reap the benefits."

Bobby Orr - ORR MY STORY Viking 2013

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

Raymond was not the player Wash needed. Erat is a far more complete player that can make others better. Pretty under-rated.

$4.5M for the next two years wasn't what Washington needed either.

#25 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

$4.5M for the next two years wasn't what Washington needed either.

They are in the midst of a battle to squeeze into the playoffs. Erat is obviously a player that they targeted and for good reason as well. The guy had 8 straight seasons where he put up nearly 50 points. Raymond has reached 50 point once in his career and has never come close since. There is no question that Erat is the better player. This is similar to the Preds giving up a 1st round pick for Paul Gaustad last year. The Preds goal was to gain an edge over the teams they were competing with and they obviously paid a lot for it. I doubt the Preds trade Forsberg at least until they see what they have in him.

#26 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:04 PM

I agree Erat is better, but the season's they're having this year aren't significantly different, certainly not enough to warrant an extra $2.25M in cap hit. Raymond might be due for a raise next year, but not as much as Erat currently makes still.

In any case, it's my opinion and we don't all have to agree. Certainly the discussion here is about why we didn't go after him and how it might have worked if we did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.