The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

No to Boucher.

Boucher had bad defense and inconsistent goaltending. His strategies kept his team competitive, and brought them to within a powerplay of the Stanley Cup Finals.

Now, had they got a PP or two that 7th game, perhaps we would have had something to celebrate.

Personally i think with our window closing for a cup run we shouldn't go after eakins for head coach considering he is a rookie I would like to see Tippet head coach and in a perfect world eakins assistant ready to step in when we go through a rebuild

Todd Walsh@ToddWalsh

#coyotes GM Don Maloney meeting w media at http://Jobing.com arena. "Bill Daly took a page out of my play book and got a good deal."

For what it is worth #coyotes Head Coach Dave Tippett is in attendance for press conference.

"We are going to do everything in our power" to retain Tippett. #coyotes GM Don Maloney at presser.

I don't know much about Glen Gulutzan, except this:

The Stars have a HORRIBLE line-up. Outside of Benn and Eriksson, they don't really have ANYBODY of 1st-line calibre. (And this season, they had to start without Benn). On paper, they should be toiling at the bottom of the league with the Avs. But in both of his seasons, Glen managed to get that rag-tag bunch to nearly make the playoffs. He had a winning record with those scrubs!

So based on that, I'm not opposed to his name being in the hat. AV would have missed the playoffs both of his first seasons too, had Luongo not gone on the hottest stretch of his life in the first one.

Sounds like a bunch of tiring pumping.

Personally i think with our window closing for a cup run we shouldn't go after eakins for head coach considering he is a rookie I would like to see Tippet head coach and in a perfect world eakins assistant ready to step in when we go through a rebuild

I tend to agree that an experienced NHL coach is required. The current roster core has 3 years at best and that is with the Twins on a 2nd line in the 3rd year. I'm talking CUP contention. After saying that, and after taking my Canuck binders off, is this core group a CUP contending roster? When I look at Pitt I have to say no. The key to next fall is who Gillis can get to play with Kesler and who can he get for 3C. I do not think that AV did a good enough job with the 4th line. Many can blame Gillis for not providing the tools but I very much doubt that AV did not have major input in to player movement and acquisition.

Alot of Canucks fans are jumping on the Eakins bandwagon. It's well known and been established that he's very good at developing young players. However, I don't see how that warrants him as the choice to be the next coach. Hire him as assistant. Depending on who is hired, if it's an experienced veteran, he can take over the reigns in a couple years. Another thing too and it's no secret Canucks are awful at drafting. If they were to hire Eakins and continue to draft poorly, how can the guy develop terrible young players?

This hire must be someone experienced, especially with the window closing. I strongly feel that Gillis will make a bad hire in someone totally unexpected. If that happens, all we can hope is that if they struggle is that this will be the final straw and Gillis finally gets dismissed.

I heard Ian Macintyre on Sports Talk the other night and he thinks the direction they're going in for someone up and coming. He said Ruff doesn't have a very good record and Gillis doesn't want to recycle coaches. I don't tend to put any stock into what Mcintyre says.

Fwiw, Dreger just mentioned that Tippett is building a mansion down in the desert. May or may not indicate his desire to move.

Probably not. Then again, it might depend on what happens with the sale of the team.

Probably been said before, but by listening to the Canuck core players and GMMG ramblings, Dallas Eakins is the answer.

Core players have a need for a coach that will give them respect, long leash and a sense of self governing...only a new coach without ego or attitude like Eakins can provide this free reign

Players with waning confidence (Kassian), under-developed skills (Schroeder) and not-quite-there players like Corrado and Gaunce need a coach with proven success and appreciation to youthful talent, which is Eakins primary draw

So, in my opinion and many others, Eakins is an excellent balance of respect to the core players, appreciation to youthful development, he's fresh and driven, locally involved and ready to roll.

The AHL is a good grind on any caliber coach, and he did well. Hire him, the core will appreciate him, the youth will thrive and fans will love his engaging personality. I am more interested in the assistants he or Gillis will choose to compliment him because I believe that much in Eakins being a good hire.

Welcome to Vancouver, Dallas. And good luck in Dallas, Alain.

Enjoy your summer, CDC.

Another name that should be considered and interviewed with SJ out now is Larry Robinson. He's won a Cup as coach. I know he's had health problems in the past, but at the very least see if you can pry him away from SJ to come here and be associate coach. He really helped SJ out as we saw in the playoffs. Could really help out our D, especially the young guys.

I would imagine we hire our coach sometime during the next round, as all of our coaching options should be available by then.

Not sure it occurs that soon. Bob McKenzie said it would be a long process and they have alot of candidates they will be speaking too. For sure before the draft.

I honestly wouldn't mind Dallas Eakins. Some new blood BEHIND the bench, would do wonders; spark the vets, for sure! The Canucks need a shake up, not a 'rip the barn doors open and let them walk'. I personally didn't mind AV. Brown and Bowness were the main culprits, behind the bench. MG needs to tread carefully, the next few months....

Dallas Eakins cannot honestly be the only good ahl coach right now. That's just impossible.

Larry Robinson has no interest in coaching anywhere as a head coach. He's already stated it himself.

IN regards to Eakins working as an assistant. AHL coach to NHL assistant is downgrade. He will never do that.

Mike Gillis waiting for heads to role, to see if Tibbet gets re signed, and to see if Babock or Quinvelle might be available.

Botchford got asked on Twitter about Larry Robinson and said he has no interest in coming here.

Haha. Botchford is such a tool.

He has no contacts in the NHL. Everything he writes is based on speculation and pulling stuff out of his butt.

Archived