The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman - Do not expect big changes - TEAM1040

VoiceOfReason_

They have to say that, they in no way want to look desperate for a change to the league.

So far I've heard there will be lots of opertunities for rookies to play. I've also heard they love the core, and they are not planning on buying anyone out.

luongo or Schneider will be gone, and I wouldn't be surprised to see another other than Raymond to be gone. Pieces are coming back in return that may slot into the lineup immediately.

What all this boils down to in my head is there will be a similar looking team with some new faces scattered throughout the lineup.

Sedin-Sedin-kassian/???

Booth/???-Kesler-burrows

Higgins-???-Jensen/kassian

???-???-???

???-Hamhuise

Garrison-Bieksa

Tanev-Corrado

I see them pulling the trigger on Edler, he is the only top 4 d man that can be moved. A change is needed on deffence I think.

Schneider-lack/???

These guys are clowns and need to go. They claim their ultimate goal is to win the cup, yet it's clear as day that this core is simply NOT good enough. Their whole idea of a reset is to fire the coach and plug the holes with our limited prospects whom are not ready..

why does some people not listen to the news when it comes out....gillis has said that the core will stay the same and the supporting staff would change....this is a good team that lost for not being good enough....why change the core when with a some toughness added, this team will be okay.

You guys can't seriously be surprised and actually expected any major changes. Gillis has alot of nerve to send out a letter to Season Ticket Holders and sprew bs that losing in unacceptable, there will be changes, blah blah blah.

Remember when Gillman said at the trade deadline they weren't finished and hoping to make another 1-2 moves and of course nothing else happened.

Typical of Canucks. You can't take them at their word. I expect and hope Gillis makes a bad coaching hire and Canucks get their asses kicked again and miss the playoff altogether in the new re-alignment. The only way to send a message to Aquilini is to hurt him in the pocket book. Don't renew season tickets, stop going to games and buying anything with a Canucks logo on it. It's the only way to send a strong message to ownership and get Gillis out of there. We saw it start during the playoffs with the amount of tickets available and alot of fans uninterested. This needs to continue.

why does some people not listen to the news when it comes out....gillis has said that the core will stay the same and the supporting staff would change....this is a good team that lost for not being good enough....why change the core when with a some toughness added, this team will be okay.

Typical for Gillis bold moves are trading Luongo and buying out Ballard or Booth.

Plus he already made his boldest move in his eyes by firing the coach. The core will stay the same.

I'm just about done with Gillis...

Not a surprise.

The combined factors of (1) having most of the major personnel components locked into NTCs/NMCs and (2) the salary cap going down next season meant that the Canucks were going to be hard pressed to make any major moves.

Given those realities, management likely wants to use next season to take an accurate "temperature" of what they really have with this core and this overall roster.

They need to find out how big or small a factor the coaching was in the failures of the past two playoffs (and also measure the degree to which this group of players may or may not have lost their competitiveness and drive).

It makes sense really. If the coaching change yields dramatic improvement, then Gillis will have a strong rationale to continue with this core. If not, then the next step is overhauling the player personnel, and the Sedins' contract expiry after 2013-14, coupled with an increased cap ceiling, is the most logical time to make a decision about the long-term future of the roster.

As much as I share people's frustration with this team, when I set those emotions aside, it becomes clear that wholesale changes to the roster would be a premature action at this time (and would most likely hurt the franchise, given the overall league climate and the fact that the Canucks would be selling low on most transactions).

It become apparent that some people are just waiting for fuel for the fire. It doesn't matter what is said, they'll find something to spin in a negative way.

It's not even a quote. It's someone paraphrasing a portion of what was said in a interview. And look at all the losers with their torches in this thread.

Over-reaction?

What is the "core"?

As far as I'm concerned, that means the top line, Kesler, Hamhius, Garrison, Schneider.

I'm not expecting, nor do I really want to see big changes there.

That still leaves a lot of room for changes.

The bulk of the coaching staff is gone - the 'core' of it.

The assumption that keeping that core means perenial failure, imo, is nonsense.

Were folks here expecting a tear down?

Archived