The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman - Do not expect big changes - TEAM1040

VoiceOfReason_

Maybe...just maybe, he has talked to Raymond. The big off season change is he will now be re-named Raymond Mason and will skate to the right side of the crease before getting scared and falling down instead of the left side. the jersey sales will be in the thousands of dollars. Brilliance

Not a surprise.

The combined factors of (1) having most of the major personnel components locked into NTCs/NMCs and (2) the salary cap going down next season meant that the Canucks were going to be hard pressed to make any major moves.

Given those realities, management likely wants to use next season to take an accurate "temperature" of what they really have with this core and this overall roster.

They need to find out how big or small a factor the coaching was in the failures of the past two playoffs (and also measure the degree to which this group of players may or may not have lost their competitiveness and drive).

It makes sense really. If the coaching change yields dramatic improvement, then Gillis will have a strong rationale to continue with this core. If not, then the next step is overhauling the player personnel, and the Sedins' contract expiry after 2013-14, coupled with an increased cap ceiling, is the most logical time to make a decision about the long-term future of the roster.

As much as I share people's frustration with this team, when I set those emotions aside, it becomes clear that wholesale changes to the roster would be a premature action at this time (and would most likely hurt the franchise, given the overall league climate and the fact that the Canucks would be selling low on most transactions).

why does some people not listen to the news when it comes out....gillis has said that the core will stay the same and the supporting staff would change....this is a good team that lost for not being good enough....why change the core when with a some toughness added, this team will be okay.

The president's trophy curse is more likely a curse in more ways than one.

Teams that win it hold on to their success for too long, and don't recognize the changes that need to be made.

The same thing has happened with the Capitals and the Sharks.

Guys, if your car is sputtering and coughing because it needs an air filter you don't scrap it or replace the entire motor...it's still a perfectly good car.

That's how I feel about thrs team. Give them a chance to work back to where they are capable of being. We were that close and, with some lucky bounces and good officiating, we may have won the cup. You don't start over in that situation for, what you risk and could end up with may send you in the wrong direction. Knowns vs unknowns. We know these guys can play well and be a top team...I'm confident in them. Tinkering, not an overhaul. People here panic and give up too easily

This is going be a long offseason of people complaing. What bold or big changes do you expect? Edler isn't going to be traded, you don't trade a way 40-50 Dman and if you do trade Edler what message are you sending to all the players that the Canucks are hoping to sign?

Luongo will be traded and that will be probably the biggest move that the Nucks do this offseason.

Just look at what the Canucks have on their roster there isn't that many tradable parts.

Over-reaction?

What is the "core"?

As far as I'm concerned, that means the top line, Kesler, Hamhius, Garrison, Schneider.

I'm not expecting, nor do I really want to see big changes there.

That still leaves a lot of room for changes.

The bulk of the coaching staff is gone - the 'core' of it.

The assumption that keeping that core means perenial failure, imo, is nonsense.

Were folks here expecting a tear down?

Agree 100%, Deb.

Edler has pissed me off so much this past year. Where is the beast that laid out Doughty back in 2010?? He used to dish out some good ones. Now, he is mostly known for that boooorrrrring drop pass on the PP.

I am more interested in seeing what new coaching can do. We have quality D-men who should be able to get the job done, limiting shots against to 20-25 per game without the team playing the trap.

I want to see if Kesler can return to form after not getting killed in a playoff series. There were plenty of signs that his shot was coming back. I wonder if he can teach Kassian to shoot?

Many have complained about the lack of motivation exhibited by the team this year (or at least a number of players). Motiviation is a huge part of the coaches job. I liked AV, but the game got stale, especially the PP. I'm not sure who would be best to replace the coaching staff, but that's where the change had to start.

Change too many tools all at once, and your just a big-money club chasing medium talent that chases big money. If we can get coaching that can bring out the best in the team, that'll make good value out of the discounts some have taken to play here.

I don't know how to run a team

I don't know who we need to coach

Not sure what players are needed.

I do know the team last year is nowhere near being able to win it all.

We lost 4 straight in the 1st round two years running; forgive me if I think that is not the mark of a team capable of winning it all.

Archived