The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks want to move up in the draft to get top prospect

Ya, I'm not seeing it. Gillis is going to give up considerable assets for a Russian player? The only GM who's never drafted a single Russian player, never traded for a Russian player is gonna sudden trade up to draft a Russian player? I can't imagine that ever happening.

I think this kid is toally being overshadowed by the big 3 this year. A big hulking russian with his speed is definitely something to drool over.

If the Canucks want to draft him, their best bet is to target Carolina's 5th overall pick IMO. Barkov will likely go 4th overall because I think Nashville neds cnters and he seems to be the right mix of size and skill.

Carolina just made some big moves getting Jordan Staal, and I would imagine they wanna make another big splash after such a disappointing season. The question is what would they want?

And of course this is Eklund, so I would only put so much stock into it. Interesting that he 's claiming it's not one of the top 3 though, since his rumors are usually ones like that to get hits on his website.

Hey Deniro, I know you follow the youth movement very closely. Do you think this guy can go top 3? Is he better than Barkov? Looks like could be a better skater.. Uses his body very well to gain the advantage over his opponents, and has some sick mitts as well...

I think this kid is toally being overshadowed by the big 3 this year. A big hulking russian with his speed is definitely something to drool over.

If the Canucks want to draft him, their best bet is to target Carolina's 5th overall pick IMO. Barkov will likely go 4th overall because I think Nashville neds cnters and he seems to be the right mix of size and skill.

Carolina just made some big moves getting Jordan Staal, and I would imagine they wanna make another big splash after such a disappointing season. The question is what would they want?

And of course this is Eklund, so I would only put so much stock into it. Interesting that he 's claiming it's not one of the top 3 though, since his rumors are usually ones like that to get hits on his website.

If you look at history, top 10 picks rarely get traded, let alone top 5 picks.

To move up just 2 spots in the draft typically costs your first and early 2nd round pick, and sometimes a 3rd. (Leafs 2008, Preds 2008)

So when you consider that the Canucks are picking 24th, you can imagine it will cost alot more than that. Edler would be the starting price, along with our 1st and a 2nd, and probably one of our top prospects would be my guess.

Carolina recently traded away their 8th overall pick, so they're obviously not against it. When you look at their roster, it's obvious they wanna win now. They've got too much money committed to be rebuilding. So I would imagine they'll be entertaining offers.

I could see us making some type of deal with NYI for their pick then trading with Nas pick for pick+prospect or trading D and prospects + pick to CAR.

If we actually grab Nichushkin it would be amazing. I think this kid could be the best player in the draft 5 or 6 years down the road.

Alot of scouts think that he'll be ready for the NHL next season. So that's good motivation for a team that wants to get younger but win now.

Gillis has been known to target top 5 picks before. We all remember the deal for Hedman that Burke leaked, but never transpired. I think Gillis will be more motivated this time around to make the deal.

What about Mantha? same size put up 50 in the Q this year. Expected outside top ten so easier to get to. Valeri is closer to nhl ready, but mantha has similar tool's maybe with a better shot. If we couldn't get top 5 I would be happy with him. Legit Russian players are hard to find though especially ones that compete as hard as Nichushkin

Alot of scouts think that he'll be ready for the NHL next season. So that's good motivation for a team that wants to get younger but win now.

Gillis has been known to target top 5 picks before. We all remember the deal for Hedman that Burke leaked, but never transpired. I think Gillis will be more motivated this time around to make the deal.

Archived