The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks want to move up in the draft to get top prospect

So....... Sami Salo the Finisih born defenseman doesn't count that Gillis signed? :shock: He didn't sign him to a $2M contract in 11/12?

Perhaps Russian nationality has nothing to do with it. But it's very curious he's the only GM who hasn't drafted a single russian player or traded for one. He signed Shirkov as a free agent. Then Shirkov went to Russia and Gillis trade his rights lickedy split. Perhaps it's one big coincidence.

The Russian factor still scares the hell out of me no matter how good he looks (see Filatov, Radulov, zherdev), and as others have mentioned it would probably cost quite a bit to move that high in the draft.

We've seen in the past a guy like Camalleri moved for a first round pick, so moving Edler for a 1st somewhere around 15th-22nd isn't that far of a stretch.

To me the best case scenario would be keeping our own pick, trading Edler for a pick, and get the islanders pick as well as part of a Luongo trade/ DiPietro buyout deal.

A combo like: Kerby Rychel, Anthony Mantha, and Max Domi sounds a hell of a lot better than selling the farm for a Russian. Is it unlikely? Yes, but so is trading into the top 5.....

I think this kid is toally being overshadowed by the big 3 this year. A big hulking russian with his speed is definitely something to drool over.

If the Canucks want to draft him, their best bet is to target Carolina's 5th overall pick IMO. Barkov will likely go 4th overall because I think Nashville neds cnters and he seems to be the right mix of size and skill.

Carolina just made some big moves getting Jordan Staal, and I would imagine they wanna make another big splash after such a disappointing season. The question is what would they want?

And of course this is Eklund, so I would only put so much stock into it. Interesting that he 's claiming it's not one of the top 3 though, since his rumors are usually ones like that to get hits on his website.

pair him up with the twins. A 6'4, 220 pound machine should help them out. Make that line effective again and improve his development. I wonder what the package gillis is preparing is though, if this is all true.

Did you see him at the combine? Dude is a man amongst boys. He is ripped. He reminds a little of Landeskog in terms of physique and style of play but more skilled.

He would have a ton of pressure though in this market with the lack of top prospects. The media here could spook him. I see Carolina or Buffalo drafting him.

They both already have Russians on the team and can help him adjust to North America since he doesn't speak any English.

Three way trade between NYR, Canucks, and Rangers.

TO NYR:

Schroeder (assuming they're buying out Richards)

2013 VAN 3rd and 2014 VAN 2nd

Hansen from VAN or Tlusty from CAR

TO CAR:

M. Staal

2013 VAN 1st

TO VAN:

5th overall 1st pick in 2013

OBVIOUSLY this isn't going to be perfect value (likely far from it), but I would do Schroeder + Hansen + 2nd/3rd for M. Staal, then flip him for the 5th overall along with our 1st.

pretty sure gillis was Bure's agent guys lol...i'm pretty sure he has nothing against russians.

i would rather see

Schnieder to Col (roy would love to have a goalie to tutor and a he could turn Schnieds into a hall of famer with his tutoring). For a player and 1st overall.

Edler and Schroder and our first to Philly for Coutourier, Laughton and their first #11

Trade #11 to FLA along with Laughton for #2

We get Mckinnon and Seth Jones and Coutorier for Schieds, Edler and Schroeder...we're the next Chi/Pitts.

:shock::frantic::towel:

I like this kid, seems to have something this team lacks. He really takes the puck to the net and uses his body kind of a malkin style to his play. Him and Barkov would be great either way. Now if only we could get both. I think 4 and 5th picks will be cheaper than getting 1-2-3. The top 3 guys this year will just cost too much.

Those two also add size to our team, kind of remind me of players LA, STL, or BOS would take

Archived