The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks want to move up in the draft to get top prospect

Stop posting this. Because each time you post 'Trade the Sedins because we won't win a Cup with them', it makes you look more and more arrogant every time. So stop suggesting we should trade the Sedins because it's not happening.

pretty sure gillis was Bure's agent guys lol...i'm pretty sure he has nothing against russians.

i would rather see

Schnieder to Col (roy would love to have a goalie to tutor and a he could turn Schnieds into a hall of famer with his tutoring). For a player and 1st overall.

Edler and Schroder and our first  to Philly for Coutourier, Laughton and their first #11

Trade #11 to FLA along with Laughton for #2

We get Mckinnon and Seth Jones and Coutorier for Schieds, Edler and Schroeder...we're the next Chi/Pitts.

:shock::frantic::towel:

The Russian factor still scares the hell out of me no matter how good he looks (see Filatov, Radulov, zherdev), and as others have mentioned it would probably cost quite a bit to move that high in the draft.

We've seen in the past a guy like Camalleri moved for a first round pick, so moving Edler for a 1st somewhere around 15th-22nd isn't that far of a stretch.

To me the best case scenario would be keeping our own pick, trading Edler for a pick, and get the islanders pick as well as part of a Luongo trade/ DiPietro buyout deal.

A combo like: Kerby Rychel, Anthony Mantha, and Max Domi sounds a hell of a lot better than selling the farm for a Russian. Is it unlikely? Yes, but so is trading into the top 5.....

I do like this option and realistically moving players to get picks fromthe 11 - 15 range isn't to unthinkable as some teams may think they are 1 - 2 pieces away from being back in the playoffs and a high pick, while nice, may take a season or 2 in the AHL before they are ready to make an impact and that could be considered to long for some fanbases.

I am hopeful that the Luongo + ??? to NYI for Nino + RD + NYI 1st comes to fruition (younger + pick + amnesty buyout) and Edler to Philly, CBJ or WPG would be nice, it would take some work but I think Edler is a significant piece going to a club and a pick outside the top 10 is fair value for a proven Dman.

Now the question is whether or not Gillis has the stones to actually attempt to pull off some deals to do a quick retooling or if we are in for some dark days much like the Calgary flames of the past few years

In order to get any top 15 pick MG would have to grow a set....

What Burke did in 1999 was what a confident ballsy GM can manage to do. For that to happen clear vision & plan needs to be in place. Let’s not forget the Sedins were nowhere near NHL ready but Burke knew the two would set up the Canucks tor the next decade. He also knew it would take a while, in the meantime he started to assemble the supporting cast.

The ground work Burke did is what we've been cheering for the last while.

Though Burke is watching from the outside now the same can be said for the Leafs, laughing stock to most Burke ignored the "experts" and continued with his agenda. Looks to me that the Leafs are going in the right direction and Leafs will benefit from Burkes vision.

Question is; are there players in the draft to invest heavily in? And if so, do we have a GM with a set big enough to pull off a deal?

I noticed Valeri Nichushkin at the WJHC, to me he looks like a stud, does he have Malkin potential? If so it should be a no brainer IF we have the assets to trade that is.

Or do you go one step further and do a Burke and manage two picks and get Barkov / Nichushkin or MacKinnon / Drouin.

Of course that means closing that so called window for a some time until those youngsters develop similar to the 1999 draft.

I fear a slow demise a la Flames vs a visionary rebuild

I proposed this exact move in another thread suggesting we should set our sights on Mackinnon or Jones. IMO, Nichushki is just as good as anyone in the top 3 but has the dreaded "Russian" label attached to him. Trading for him outside the top 5 means that you'll get a tremendous talent for a fraction of the price (that the highly sought after#1 overall would demand).

What about Mantha? same size put up 50 in the Q this year. Expected outside top ten so easier to get to. Valeri is closer to nhl ready, but mantha has similar tool's maybe with a better shot. If we couldn't get top 5 I would be happy with him. Legit Russian players are hard to find though especially ones that compete as hard as Nichushkin

But the mystery surrounding Nichushkin stems in part from the fact he has not totally divorced himself from the idea of staying in Russia for an extended period of time. He has stated that he would like to come to North America to play in the NHL, but that is where his interest begins and ends.

I would rather have Monahan, and he could likely be had outside the top 5.

Interesting comparison:

Logan Couture: 6'1", 200 pounds, center, 54gp, 26g, 52a, 78 points in draft year playing in the Ohl, taken 9th overall

Sean Monahan: 6'2", 190 pounds, center, 58gp, 31g, 47a, 78 points in draft year playing in the Ohl, currently ranked 9th overall.

More North American draft picks please and thank you.

Archived