The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cole Cassels | C

JE14

On 20/09/2016 at 1:08 PM, BettyWhites44 said:

After seeing all the games for the Young Stars tourney.
I've come to the conclusion, Matt Tkachuk is a poor mans Cole Cassels.
Cole has a much more refined game that doesn't draw attention to himself, while still being effective. 

I'd certainly hope so since hes 3 years older. 

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎20 at 0:08 PM, logic said:

So yes Cassels has NHL calibre potential he can do it all, play a pest, shutdown battle role, very reliable in his own zone, and has offensive ability all the tools to be a legit #3 C in the NHL

That's the sunny side of the street....the other viewthat could be equally argued is Cassels reach his zenith in his hockey career in the Memorial Cup. He still failed to perform in any way other than modest come the end of his his last AHL season, making little of no progress. I liked what I watched in his junior games but frankly he never progressed in any measurable way in Utica. This season he HAS to come out with a bang. He was on equal footing at the young prospects and didn't exactly shine. He'll be on equal footing come the full training camp lets hope he shows more. This is his year he has to shine in Utica or his career might be lost to another candidate

On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 1:08 PM, logic said:

lol this literally shows you are unable to take value in anyone's opinion other than your own, so I don't even know why I am wasting my time responding to you.

Cassels was not really that valued in his draft year, however his offensive numbers improved the following two seasons playing more prime minutes, in all key situations. And yes he played a MAJOR role in the Generals winning the Mem cup in 2015, in the OHL playoffs Cole posted 31 points in 21 games... yes he was 19 but still that is impressive numbers to be putting up against players like McDavid, Dylan Strome ect.

The only reason for the terribad season Cole had last year was a serious core injury which he played through the playoffs/mem cup with, he had surgery and had no time for offseason training which is big factor for a playing transitioning from Junior to the AHL.

So yes Cassels has NHL calibre potential he can do it all, play a pest, shutdown battle role, very reliable in his own zone, and has offensive ability all the tools to be a legit #3 C in the NHL

I'd agree that he looks to be a good future #3 centre to me at worst but I think he has much more potential than that even and won't sell this good young character kid short from all I've seen in him.

Watching this kid I noticed has a real knack to find open space and get into scoring positions, he also has a real good mix of skill, intelligence and a very high compete level that includes getting nasty when need be that a lot of prospects don't have.

Seems most fans have no idea of real potential in a prospect unless he's absolutely lighting it up somewhere and undervalue the character and all around game which is almost more important than anything.

Benning has a knack for finding these players and we have a lot of them now that's why I'm very excited to see this team this season and down the road.

Imo this teams potential this season and in the future is very underrated by most in the media and who follow the team but I'm very convinced this team is definitely going in the right direction and going to shock and surprise a lot of people.

38 minutes ago, The Big Luongo said:

I'd agree that he looks to be a good future #3 centre to me at worst but I think he has much more potential than that even and won't sell this good young character kid short from all I've seen in him.

Watching this kid I noticed has a real knack to find open space and get into scoring positions, he also has a real good mix of skill, intelligence and a very high compete level that includes getting nasty when need be that a lot of prospects don't have.

Seems most fans have no idea of real potential in a prospect unless he's absolutely lighting it up somewhere and undervalue the character and all around game which is almost more important than anything.

Benning has a knack for finding these players and we have a lot of them now that's why I'm very excited to see this team this season and down the road.

Imo this teams potential this season and in the future is very underrated by most in the media and who follow the team but I'm very convinced this team is definitely going in the right direction and going to shock and surprise a lot of people.

I think it is more likely the fans are unaware of the long term effects of a severe injury; especially on young, developing players. Cole clearly couldn't make up for the lack of off season training last year and it showed in his game.  Greene has high regard for him, so I think we will see a big improvement this year.

People had ridiculously high hopes for Cole (after the Mem Cup), but I think they are more realistic in their expectations now.  If he can become a solid (NHL) shutdown C, he will be very valuable to the Canucks.  Something like  Gaunce  Cassels  Etem  might be a great 3rd/4th line in the near future.

2 hours ago, Fred65 said:

That's the sunny side of the street....the other viewthat could be equally argued is Cassels reach his zenith in his hockey career in the Memorial Cup. He still failed to perform in any way other than modest come the end of his his last AHL season, making little of no progress. I liked what I watched in his junior games but frankly he never progressed in any measurable way in Utica. This season he HAS to come out with a bang. He was on equal footing at the young prospects and didn't exactly shine. He'll be on equal footing come the full training camp lets hope he shows more. This is his year he has to shine in Utica or his career might be lost to another candidate

A concern that Cassels has peaked is there but it is with most young prospects. This idea makes me wonder what impact his father has had in his development. Was this level of personal coaching able to minimize his mistakes and disguise his limitations?

I watched Cassels closely in Penticton. His positioning was excellent and obviously a dominant part of how he sees his game. Just as in his Memorial Cup play Cassels as a matter of course played high in the ozone to provide puck support to his fore checking wingers. I found it impressive. I also a edge in his game and a good net presence when called for.

IMO Cassels has to show improvement this year but he will not be a bust if he does not come out strong. It is where he ends up next spring that will tell the tale. This is only his 2nd pro season. While he might not have been able to execute at a high level last year he will have the experience of last year to jump start his season. He has the benefit of Green's familiarity with his development and now also Manny Maholtra's experience as I am sure Manny will spend time in Utica.

I did not see Demko or Subban in Penticton. Those I saw who impressed me were Stecher, Joulevi and Cassels.   

On 9/20/2016 at 10:23 AM, Boudrias said:

IMHO the greatest thing Mike Gillis did for the org, other than a CUP finalist, is the buying of a AHL franchise. The Moose were good, the Chicago Wolves a disaster and now Utica which has been great since day one.

The Canuck prospect quality depth is not great. Deeper since Benning/Linden took over but still not great. I do not see the Canucks climbing towards a playoff spot for a couple of years so Benning will have the opportunity to draft higher pics which should correct this problem. To me it is not just higher pics but also the breath of the pool.  

Bad breath is an easy fix...just brush more...

With Boeser, Lockwood and Zukenov as well as the new guys in Carcone, Laplante and/or Roy added too Cassels, Gaunce, Rodin, Stecher, Grenier, Subban, Virtanen and Tryamkin ...our prospect list is not to shabby at all.

3 of those guys will make the team this year as well as Boeser could have made the team and up 2 more have a chance to make the team this year.

That is "push from below" and we are going to be fine and in playoff contention again.

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I think it is more likely the fans are unaware of the long term effects of a severe injury; especially on young, developing players. Cole clearly couldn't make up for the lack of off season training last year and it showed in his game.  Greene has high regard for him, so I think we will see a big improvement this year.

People had ridiculously high hopes for Cole (after the Mem Cup), but I think they are more realistic in their expectations now.  If he can become a solid (NHL) shutdown C, he will be very valuable to the Canucks.  Something like  Gaunce  Cassels  Etem  might be a great 3rd/4th line in the near future.

Those comments were directed at the geniuses that say at 20 he's already reached his potential lol ridiculous.

Yes you're right obviously any injured player who couldn't train properly is going to be set back in his development that's a no brainer that one would assume anyone with half a brain would realize.

Also while it very well might happen that he's a 3rd/4th line player I don't agree that's his ceiling at all he's very capable of being much better than that.

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

How people can think Cassels has reached his peak....well it's just a ridiculous idea...the kid is 20 years old.

Cole will reach his peak at the same age as everyone else...i.e. between 25 and 28 years old.

Also Cole will be on the Canucks by next year as a third or fourth line center.

Many hockey players peak before they are 20. We're not talking his physical development but his overall performance as a player. We discussed this earlier as a possibility. From what I saw I don't believe this to be the case.

59 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...seriously...not even Kyle Welwood peaked that young...care to name a few?

59 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...seriously...not even Kyle Welwood peaked that young...care to name a few?

The thousands who never get drafted or those who do but never see an NHL game. Every kid that has played hockey dreamt about the NHL. As I mentioned it does not have to be a physical issue it is often emotional. Mentally many young players do not want to make the commitment necessary to make the NHL.  

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Minus the antics, I think Cassels can be a Bolland type player while he was in CHI.  He seems to be on the right track again.  

Is he quick enough though?  I like him, and his effort, skill, and character.  But is he quick enough, especially for centre?

9 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

His skating looks decent enough, but you're probably right, working on speed definitely would make him that much better

I really have no issue with his offence.  He shows good puck skills.  Defensively though, I just see his feet as too slow (right now) to provide the defensive role centres - especially bottom six guys - must do.  

55 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I really have no issue with his offence.  He shows good puck skills.  Defensively though, I just see his feet as too slow (right now) to provide the defensive role centres - especially bottom six guys - must do.  

If he was able to shut down McDavid in the juniors, he must have had some good speed and positioning in him.  The question is if he'll be left behind or if he'll find a way to develop and keep up with the NHL.

4 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

If he was able to shut down McDavid in the juniors, he must have had some good speed and positioning in him.  The question is if he'll be left behind or if he'll find a way to develop and keep up with the NHL.

I think he was 20, while Mcdavid (the hated Oiler) was only 17.  Plus, defensive responsibility for the centre at the NHL level is a pretty big task.  I like Cassels, I just see him as having slower feet.  

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think he was 20, while Mcdavid (the hated Oiler) was only 17.  Plus, defensive responsibility for the centre at the NHL level is a pretty big task.  I like Cassels, I just see him as having slower feet.  

That was not even 2 years ago I believe.  I really have no idea but I find it hard to believe that Cassels was 20 and playing in the memorial cup.  I agree the NHL is different (obviously).....my point is that he had it not that long ago, so it should be there if he can continue to build his skills.  McDavid's already looking like he's going to be near the top of the NHL scoring (and could have been last season if he wasn't injured), so being able to contain him a year previously (than last season) says something to me.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wrong again muppet. His awareness and positioning will make up for his lack of foot speed. 

Archived