The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Cederholm | D

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

It would be best for his development if he went over to Sweden, in my mind. He's fallen off the radar with the Canucks. Loaning him to a European team for a year may really help him. Look at the wonders its done for past Canucks such as Anton Rodin, Alex Grenier, and even Niklas Jensen (who, though not an NHL player, is now a bonafide AHLer).

Still don't see how Cederholm plays into the Canucks plans in the near future. Best course of action would be to throw him into a bigger deal as a sweetener.

There's a reason he's fallen back on the charts. He's a big, strong guy, but has a slow wind up on his shot (limiting his offensive effectiveness) and limited mobility (causing defensive issues). Any strengths he does have are overshadowed by those weaknesses at higher levels.

Maybe he can figure out more of a cerebral game to limit those deficiencies if he were to head back to Sweden, but hockey IQ hasn't been a strong suit for him in the past either. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, but I think he just has too many deficiencies to make it as an NHL regular.

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

There's a reason he's fallen back on the charts. He's a big, strong guy, but has a slow wind up on his shot (limiting his offensive effectiveness) and limited mobility (causing defensive issues). Any strengths he does have are overshadowed by those weaknesses at higher levels.

Maybe he can figure out more of a cerebral game to limit those deficiencies if he were to head back to Sweden, but hockey IQ hasn't been a strong suit for him in the past either. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Don't get me wrong, I like him a lot, but I think he just has too many deficiencies to make it as an NHL regular.

I think there's still a chance he could develop in to a Swedish, 7th D 'Andrew Alberts' type. 

On 20/07/2016 at 8:15 PM, J.R. said:

I think there's still a chance he could develop in to a Swedish, 7th D 'Andrew Alberts' type. 

Oh sure, maybe a replacement level guy, but I don't see regular minutes unless he improves some significant aspects of his game. If he can improve mobility and find a way to be more dynamic either in breaking out of the zone or in the offensive end then he could push for a spot.

But apparently the loan is official:

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Oh sure, maybe a replacement level guy, but I don't see regular minutes unless he improves some significant aspects of his game. If he can improve mobility and find a way to be more dynamic either in breaking out of the zone or in the offensive end then he could push for a spot.

But apparently the loan is official:

Meh, he's a 5th rounder.

A replacement level, 7th D is still a good outcome for 145th pick and would still make for a decent NHL career and paycheque.

10 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Meh, he's a 5th rounder.

A replacement level, 7th D is still a good outcome for 145th pick and would still make for a decent NHL career and paycheque.

Absolutely again, anything that comes of him is a bonus (even if it's a reasonable AHL'er). He's got a ways to go though.

Back from the big Club (Translation)

He SHL debuted in Rogle only 17 years old. After three years in North America returning hill Anton Cederholm to Rogle BK for this season, on loan from the NHL club, the Vancouver Canucks.

- It will be really fun to come home and play for Rogle again, says Anton Cederholm from home in Portland, Oregon on the US west coast.

The 21-year-old hill Anton Cederholm will Rögle fourth acquisition for the coming season. Though it is a familiar face that pops up at Lindab Arena in the green-white link. Anton (started in Jonstorp) came to Rogle as 16-year-old talent and trained here at hockeygym.

- When we started looking at lending to Sweden this season and Rögle turned up so I was thrilled. It was in Rogle I was shaped and developed. I first-team debut in Rogle, I have buddies in the team, it really feels like coming home, says Anton before returning.

He debuted in Rögle A team already in November 2012, 17 years old. The large and growing fysiske hill was quoted on the season for twelve SHL matches.

The summer after he was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks and decided to move to North America. After two good seasons in Portland Winter Hawks of the WHL he signed a three-year contract with the Canucks and started last season on the farm team Utah's camp.

- It was pretty tough and hard to convince me to have a place in the AHL team. I ended up in Kalamazoo, Michigan in the ECHL. I'm happy with the season there, I think I proved to myself and what I can.

Cederholm is a large (188 cm and 101 kg) and physically playing back that is moving despite its size.

- I do not hesitate to pop in but do it to win the puck. I have developed my physical game in North America and also become better pi clearance gap, sending the puck from leaf to leaf. I like to take the ice and move the puck forward. And I love to play box play and cover shoots, he says.

Anton lent Vancouver who believe that a year in Rogle and SHL is a good way to play in the NHL.

- I have followed Rogle all the time and it feels like that the organization has taken giant steps in a good direction. Many players are developing well. Look at last season. Columbus lend Oscar Dansk which makes it great, Patrick Cehlin from the minor league and become the Tre Kronor players.

Anton hopes to play in Rogle will bring him closer to the games in the NHL.

Link

I really hate to see Anton Cedeholm go back to Sweden without even getting a chance to play in the AHL and meanwhile John Negrin is back again in Utica on the "Friends and Family" plan.  It's just not fair that Johnny Negs roster spot is guaranteed at the expense of others. 

12 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

I really hate to see Anton Cedeholm go back to Sweden without even getting a chance to play in the AHL and meanwhile John Negrin is back again in Utica on the "Friends and Family" plan.  It's just not fair that Johnny Negs roster spot is guaranteed at the expense of others. 

You're sure their extending the Negrin situation for another year?

What an  embarrassing situation that is.

On 25/07/2016 at 7:05 PM, UticaHockey said:

I'm not familiar with this. Please elaborate? Is there an interesting backstory or is it just that Negrin is taking up a spot even though he's a middle of the pack AHL'er who's going nowhere fast?

24 minutes ago, meh_wassup said:

I'm not familiar with this. Please elaborate? Is there an interesting backstory or is it just that Negrin is taking up a spot even though he's a middle of the pack AHL'er who's going nowhere fast?

Google Devid Negrin and who he is employed by.  (John Negrin's father)

• 2 months later...

An update on Cederholm: six games into his season, he's only averaging 6:14 of ice time per game with Rogle. I guess playing at home is beneficial to him personally but in terms of his development, that isn't going to do anything for him unless he starts playing more often.

Its a shame he never got offered a look in Utica last year when they had injury/call-up trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update:

http://www.hockeysverige.se/2016/10/20/vancouver-lanet-tog-inte-plats-i-shl-nu-lanas-han-ut-till-hockeyallsvenskan/ (google translate)

No, any success in the SHL has not happened for Rögles Vancouver loan Anton Cederholm. On the contrary, he has played little during the opening rounds of the SHL and in the game against Brynäs, he was not even included in the match squad.

Today he was loaned to Hockey Allsvenskan (Sweden's 2nd league), where he will play for AIK and replaces Ludvig Claesson, a loan AIK had during the season beginning but is now returning to Ängelholm. Cederholm will play for AIK throughout the rest of the season.

- We had a dialogue with him last year where he could not get free of his contract in Vancouver. Now that there was a chance to get him here, we took it, says sports director Anders Gozzi to the club's website.

Cederholm will make his debut against IK Panther on Saturday and will then play against little brother Jacob, who is on loan from HV71.
- It will be nice to come in and play right away, and fun that it will be against my brother's team. 

Yikes.. doesn't look good for Cederholm. He couldn't make his SHL squad so has been loaned to AIK Stockholm in the 2nd league. He will get to play more minutes and AIK should be one of the better teams in the league but it doesn't exactly scream NHL potential. Rögle are known to get the most out of their players so the fact they couldn't get Cederholm to perform is a bit worrying as well. Seems like he wanted to get out of his contract with Vancouver when he was sent to the ECHL last year. 

• 4 months later...

1040 Just had an interview with canucks head of development about Anton. Had some really really good things to say about this kid 

-his brother is a firefighter , mom is a nurse, dad is a paramedic. Speaks to the character he learned at home. 

-rode his bike in minus 30 weather for 20 +k to meet him for dinner in Sweden. Oozes character like no other prospect hes worked with. 

- plays with a mean streak and very good defensively. Feels he is fkying under the radar big time. 

-offensive ability came out of nowhere this year

- has never met a kid he wanted to succeed more then this guy. Feels he works a step above everyone else in effort

- expects him to come here and do big things and will be a HUGE fan favorite. 

Archived