The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anton Cederholm | D

IIlIlIIllIlIIIlIl

Yeah I noticed it too, in his own end he seems to settle it down quicker and get that outlet pass out quickly. I could see it as a confidence or pressure issue, as he's more comfortable in his own end. When he gets to O, he's less comfortable with the situation, and knows how talented the other 4 are when its guys like Petan, Pouliot, Liepsic, Bljorkstrand, etc. Hopefully with the graduation of Pouliot and Dumba he'll capture the opportunity of more offensive ice time

If he is back and not pulled to the AHL next season (I guess he can be as UticaHockey mentioned earlier) I am very excited to see him play. He wont have several big names with him as you said. Puliot and Dumba are gone. Leier and Leipsic (unless he comes back as overager) are gone. Maybe Bjorkstrand and Petan are gone. It will be him and Haar running the show on defense. That excites me because he will be relied on heavily and I want to see how he handles it.

If he is back and not pulled to the AHL next season (I guess he can be as UticaHockey mentioned earlier) I am very excited to see him play. He wont have several big names with him as you said. Puliot and Dumba are gone. Leier and Leipsic (unless he comes back as overager) are gone. Maybe Bjorkstrand and Petan are gone. It will be him and Haar running the show on defense. That excites me because he will be relied on heavily and I want to see how he handles it.

Didn't know he could play in Uitca next year...interesting. I wonder if that might be better for his development/if he's ready....?

Didn't know he could play in Uitca next year...interesting. I wonder if that might be better for his development/if he's ready....?

Technically he could since he was drafted out of Europe, but it would be much better for him imo to stay with a powerhouse team and get quality ice time. His inefficiencies on offense would only be highlighted even more in the pro game, and could stall that development of his game

Technically he could since he was drafted out of Europe, but it would be much better for him imo to stay with a powerhouse team and get quality ice time. His inefficiencies on offense would only be highlighted even more in the pro game, and could stall that development of his game

Yeah except Portland isn't looking likely to be a powerhouse team next season. He'd certainly have a larger role but on a much worse team.

If he's ready, I wonder if a slightly lesser role in Utica might be better for his development. He's got the size and from the sounds of it, defensive ability, to play at that level...

Big fish, little pond or littler fish, bigger pond...hmmmm

Yeah except Portland isn't looking likely to be a powerhouse team next season. He'd certainly have a larger role but on a much worse team.

If he's ready, I wonder if a slightly lesser role in Utica might be better for his development. He's got the size and from the sounds of it, defensive ability, to play at that level...

Big fish, little pond or littler fish, bigger pond...hmmmm

Portland graduates talent every year and still is strong. Veteran goalie in Burke will be back, Cederholm, Haar, and 2015 eligible Texiera will form the core of the defense. I'm not overly certain about the AHL eligiblity rule, but Bjorkstrand and Petan are only eligible for the NHL or junior next year, so each has a chance of coming back. Bittner will be even better as he develops his game, amazing he's a 2015 draftee.

Also, look for them to make more trades for vets as it would be one of the last years of their window before the sanctions really start to affect them. They traded for Haar and Dumba this year for example, look for a repeat. Especially with Seattle needing to move some overagers as they have 10 19 year olds and can only keep 3.

Also, its not like Utica was a powerhouse, they are still in their infancy as a franchise and are having growing pains.

Also, its not like Utica was a powerhouse, they are still in their infancy as a franchise and are having growing pains.

Yeah but they're likely getting a pretty sizable injection of talent this coming year with likely Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Fox etc. Jensen may or may not still be there as well.

Utica is likely to be a LOT better team next year.

I'd lean towards him staying in Junior next year and then make the jump after that. Utica will be a better team than they had been, and Portland will be a little worse, but I don't think there's such a significant difference that it'd change his development arc. He'd still really benefit from a better chance to build the offensive part of his game (even if his defensive ability is already very well developed).

I'd lean towards him staying in Junior next year and then make the jump after that. Utica will be a better team than they had been, and Portland will be a little worse, but I don't think there's such a significant difference that it'd change his development arc. He'd still really benefit from a better chance to build the offensive part of his game (even if his defensive ability is already very well developed).

Well put and my thoughts exactly. I think he is best served one more year in a prominent role. While he played top pairing with Puliot he was considered the #3-4 D man behind Puliot and Dumba. I think Portland develops their talent well and he could benefit a lot from one more year in PDX in both offense and confidence.

Portland will still be relevant next season, though maybe not a 38-1 stretch (or however ridiculous it was) to end a season, still in the playoffs. Bjorkstran and Petan may or may not be back. However, they have Bittner, De Leo, Iverson, Turgeon, Shoenboern and others who will fill offensive voids. Teixeira, Haar and I assume a couple trades will shore up the defense. Burke is reliable and progressing in net despite apparently losing the starting gig to Boes against Kelowna. Portland will still be a solid team for the next few seasons.

I think, with all of that said, Cederholm is best served 1 more year in the WHL. He has size and smarts for the AHL but he will fight for ice time and that could be detrimental to his growth. He will fight with Tommernnes, Andersson (if re-signed), McEneny, Blain, Huskins (if re-signed for veteran presence), Sauve (big IF re-signed) and Biega (also if re-signed) all for ice time.

All true and I don't disagree with any of it. Just saying if he's ready for the pros (a big if), he could do worse than honing his skills against bigger and better competition.

But you're all likely correct and he'll most likely spend another season in Portland.

All true and I don't disagree with any of it. Just saying if he's ready for the pros (a big if), he could do worse than honing his skills against bigger and better competition.

But you're all likely correct and he'll most likely spend another season in Portland.

I'd love to see him in Utica next season don't get me wrong. I just think with the roster Utica has and the roster Portland has he is best off one more year in Portland. I dont think he would be a slouch or bad in the AHL though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't mind seeing Cederholm take another year in the dub before moving to the AHL... At least next year he should be able to work on his offensive tools with the overages and Pouliot + Dumba most likely moving up to their respectful teams AHL/ECHL/NHL rosters.

We could really use a D like Cedarholm now, although he won't be ready for a while. He can clear the net, skate decently for his size, make the safe play, think the game, and deal with any rough stuff. The rock-solid reliability he brings would do a lot to calm things down on our back end. Him and Tanev give me some hope that we will get beyond the shaky play we've gotten used to from our D over the past couple of years.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned rock solid reliability that will calm things down. Vancouver has missed a player on the back end with that ability , to calm things down. MG got a soft group together and it stayed soft because he couldn't change his vision while the rest of the league changed another way.

I hope this kid is what you say he is.

Archived