Canucks Community

Ronalds Kenins | LW/RW

elvis15

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HF Ranking Spring 2016

9. (8) Ronalds Kenins, LW, 6.0B
Signed as free agent, July 2013

Ronalds Kenins was thought to be a lock to make the Canucks out of training camp this season but the infusion of youth forced the Canucks to clear some roster spots and Kenins was sent to the Utica Comets to start the season. He was recalled in December and played a few games for the Canucks but was unable to hold onto a roster spot and was returned to Utica. Injuries have played a part in slowing Kenins down a bit this year but he will be an impact player if the Comets make the playoffs. If Kenins finishes the year strong there is a good chance he will receive a contract extension from the Canucks this summer. His intensity and grit make him a good, inexpensive energy player. The Canucks may yet be able to find room for Kenins but as proven this season, he will have to outshine several others looking to earn a roster spot next season. With Brendan Gaunce gunning for that same spot it could be a tough road back to the NHL for Kenins.

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Some changes for the team next year as they aren't bringing Crawford back as coach, and of course Matthews will be moving on, but speculation Kenins might come back. Kenins is an RFA after this season.

Hate to see him go as when he plays to his strengths he's a force but it is looking awfully crowded for the spots he'd be playing next year...

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Some changes for the team next year as they aren't bringing Crawford back as coach, and of course Matthews will be moving on, but speculation Kenins might come back. Kenins is an RFA after this season.

Does Crow have a angle worked out with Matthews? Take the kid and you have to take me as coach? Crawford always was a conniver! :)

51 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

doesn't seem like he's in the plans of management. so I don't see this as a surprise. the last time I remember Kenins being used in the line up with the Canucks was when Torts was coach. that's a long time ago. lol. 

10 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

doesn't seem like he's in the plans of management. so I don't see this as a surprise. the last time I remember Kenins being used in the line up with the Canucks was when Torts was coach. that's a long time ago. lol. 

Did you forget last year?

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Yep, figured the writing was on the wall when they signed him to that one-way deal at the end of last season -- he reportedly wasn't willing to sign a two-way, so if he had to go to Utica he'd be paid NHL money.  Now that there's no spot for him there's no point paying an AHL guy $1mil, and since it appears we couldn't find a trade partner he's almost surely on his way back to Europe.

Too bad, he showed he could be a very effective player but for whatever reason he's never been able to recapture that.

27 minutes ago, Roflcawptur said:

Did you forget last year?

what I meant to say was that Kenins doesn't seem like he's been given much opportunity with the big club. if that's the case. then I understand why he would want to go back to Europe to play. 

Archived