The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Don’t Re-sign the Sedin Twins

hockeyfan87

1 that game you speak of was after chi locked up a playoff spot and gave their top guys very limited minutes

2 being a workout warrior doesn't mean squat , im sure they would beat Lucic at almost everything in the gym besides bench press but lucic has proven to be far more effective player when it counts then the sedins.

3 it is easy to be in the playoffs on a regular basis when all you have to do is win the worst division in the west and you play the majority of your games vs non-playoff teams as the canucks have done the last 4 years. the last 2 years they have been in the way in the playoffs not in the mix.

1. In that game

Duncan Keith TOI 27:21

Brent Seabrook TOI 20:15

Jonathan Toews TOI 19:01

Patrick Kane TOI 20:34

Marian Hossa TOI 18:37

Brandon Saad TOI 20:31

That's they're top 2 D and top 4 F in scoring last year and their ice time in that game.

Are you ever right about anything?

Also if you go back and take out every teams games against their division rivals the canucks were still top 5 in the league the two years they won the presidents trophies. I don't know about last year but I'm sure it's not going to be far off.

If we were to do this we would have to expect Kesler as the 1st line center and Horvat as the 2nd? Let the Sedins take this team for 2-4 years and then once Horvat, Schroeder, Gaunce and the others are ready to takeover then we can let the Sedins go. Rather then letting them walk as your suggestion why don't we just trade them? We could probably get a 1st, 2 decent prospects and a 2nd/3rd liner. They'd probably wouldn't waive their NTC.

To hell with it. Trade the twins to Tampa for Drouin, Hedman and two first round picks, then we need to trade that washup Kesler to any team that will take him for their top product and a first round pick.

Tank this year run with 3 first round picks and our new top prospects tank next year have Lack supplant that god awful and terrible mess of a goalie Luongo and then trade him for 2015 for another first round pick draft Mackinnon

Trade for Rome, re sign Welwood get linden out of retirement offer Sundin $4 million and the cup is ours!

Oh that's after we pay all of our top first round picks $6 million each.

The Sedins are 33, not 40. They still have several years left in them, and their point production has been solid, despite the fact that they haven't replicated their biggest years (Scoring 100+ points isn't exactly easy, even for the young guys)

Some fans are quick to sell their older players down the river. The fact is, there are older guys out there that still dominate (Marty St. Louis, Jumbo and Pat, Zetterberg and Datsyuk, etc) and the Sedins are skilled enough to be in this group.

The problem with the Canucks is exactly the opposite: It's not the Sedins that need to do more, its everyone else. It's the Booths and the Higgins and the Kassians that need to contribute more. Kesler hopefully will be healthy and help complete a top 6 group.

You look at championship teams, everyone contributes and the 4th line guys are just as important as the top scorers. That's what the Canucks need to start doing.

If other Canuck forwards could be nearly as consistent as Henrik and Daniel, they would have another shot at a Cup.

I concur

Actually, yes re-sign the twins at a reasonable cap hit that averages less than what they make now, but make them our second line. Build a killer top line for the twins to support and then enjoy the show...

You wouldn't even have to make them the second line immediately. But of course you re-sign them. Eventually as Kassian, Horvat and Jensen and maybe a surprise or two develop like Shinkaruk, the twins will anchor the best second line in the league!. We gotta have a little faith. We still also have Kesler and Burrows as well. Who knows if and when the Sedins accept a second line role it may be the best thing for them, they work their magic not having to face the #1 opposition checking line and the pressure is off of them to some degree.

I also agree with others that what they need most is help from the other lines in scoring and toughness to get through the playoffs. I really hope Gillis's "turn the other cheek- we'll get'em on the PP" philosophy has jumped the shark now that we are in the Torts era.

be like pitts or chi and miss the playoffs for 5 or 6 yrs in a 7 yr period..... being one of the worst teams in 3 of those years

trade away all your players your sedins and keslers, your hansen your garrison till you have multiple picks in the first three rounds draft 2-3 superstars and another 7 allstars

so in 10 yrs you can can excited to be a HUGE contender (no guarentee either of winnig it all)

thats how pitts and chi did it....... so say come back in 2020...whhhoowwhhooo

I get you may not believe in the sedins as leading the way to the promised land.....thats okay....reality they need a deep supporting staff to get them all the way.......all the teams do.

would be great to have a top young prospect(or two) come in and be one of the calder favs contributing to a solid cast ... pushing us over the hump....when all are healthy we are one maybe two impact players(supportive consistent performers) from being heavy favs...or have a pp and pk running very well in the playoffs

I’m a diehard Canucks fan and I’m going to bring up some unfortunate truths about the current situation this franchise finds itself in.

Let me ask you, the reader, whether you believe the Canucks will win the cup this year or sometime in the next several years? Are we better than the Chicago Blackhawks or the Pittsburgh Penguins?

By committing to the Sedins with new contracts we are also committing to the core of this team for the next four to five years. We’re committing to one of the older cores in the league that already statistically is trending downwards.

The ultimate goal for this franchise should be to win the Stanley Cup at all costs. Re-signing the Sedins means we won’t but good enough to win the Stanley Cup but we also won’t be bad enough to get the high draft picks that are so desperately necessary to compete for a Stanley Cup on year in year out basis.

It goes without saying that these top draft picks are invariably the key pieces that make up a vast majority of Stanley Cup winning teams. The Pittsburgh Penguins have Malkin and Crosby. The Chicago Blackhawks have Toews and Kane. The Los Angeles Kings have Doughty. The Boston Bruins are the only exception when it comes to a recent Stanley Cup winning team having a top five overall draft pick as a core part of the team.

The Sedins are arguably the best players in the history of the Canucks but would anyone doubt that their best accomplishments are behind them?

A lot of people, myself included, believe we have several prospects that in the future should pay dividends but are these going to be the key difference makers that finally push this team over the hump and win us a Stanley Cup?

A very optimistic view would believe that Bo Horvat develops into another Kesler in a few years and Shinkaruk a 30 goal scorer but if this were to happen would it do anything other than address the declining production from the Sedins and Burrows?

Subconsciously I think much of the fan base already realizes we won’t win a Stanley Cup with the Sedin twins anymore. The window has closed. This is the least amount of excitement there has been for this franchise since the last year of Nonis in ’08.

The Edmonton Oiler or Pittsburgh Penguin model of tanking to acquire may not be adviseable from a business perspective but neither is a decade of mediocrity. I know I will be the subject of criticism from fans who blindly worship our team but I believe the best path to winning the cup in the future does not involve re-signing the Sedin twins.

As a life long Canuckfan............I agree 100 %

This Fan Base is Scared of the Future and punishes anyone for voicing their opinion of it, we all have to agree this team is on the downslide, not to say we can't be contenders still.. but when it comes to trading for our future...it's a huge

oh-hell-no-o.gif

I agree you can not replace 150 per season, but what has that 150 points done for us?

Smyl, Linden, naslund and bure all were fan favorites and point producers ... what is hanging from our rafters beyond there #'s and a few conference championships

Linden got us Bert and McCabe

Bure - Jovo and a few parts and a 1st rounder (sadly we wasted the pick on Nathan Smith)

Nassy - we let walk and go nothing for him

and well We waited to long for any form of a return for luongo.. look how that played out..

And Do we want to end up like calgary, and the iginla situation??

this seasons trade deadline the sedins will be in HIGH DEMAND and will fetch us an amazing return + draft picks (the hard part is their NTC's, they'll want to go as a package, and not many teams have the 12.2 million in cap space to get them.

So chances are they are not going anywhere!

And lets hope we have that 1 season we have all been waiting for !!!

and this topic becomes a moot point

Uhh, those 150 points gets us in the playoffs. We also need the Sedins to help mentor our prospects as well. You seem to be of the mind that Sedins are the problems. Well, here's a newsflash, they aren't. This has been mentioned before, but it's pretty much everyone around them that's the problem. The Sedins can't do it all themselves, so why are you expecting them too? Our future would be pretty screwed up for several years if we just let them walk without any sort of plan.

We are only a few years removed from the Sedins' art ross seasons, and now they are suddenly on the decline? Sorry, I fail to see how they are on the decline. They are still two of the best players in the game. But they need help from the rest of the team, which they haven't been getting lately.

The Sedins are not even close to being the problem with this team. They are the reasons why we are still competitive.

It is never a good idea to let your two best players walk for nothing. What if we were the Penguins and Crosby and Malkin were the same age as the Sedins are now, and (possibly), declining, do you think it would be a good idea to tell them you don't want to resign them and let them walk for nothing? We still have a chance to win now, it could be with the core how it is now or it could be with a youth injection, but even if we don't win soon, letting the Sedins walk for nothing is not the right idea. At least get something for them if you are going to rebuild.

We are not as good as we were during our cup run at this moment, but we could get a lot better in the next few years. Our youth could step up, Booth could get back on his skates and become a very good player and with the cap going up we could afford all sorts of UFA signings and trades. Now isn't the time to rebuild.

I cannot believe some so-called fans. Let's say over the next three years the Sedins average only 60 points each, and that's lowballing it. Where the hell are we going to get 120 points from? The Sedins are the ONLY players who have won Hart trophies in our team's history.

I know it's frustrating we haven't won a cup. But as Canuck or Die says. The Twin's aren't the problem.

I don't understand why people are asking "where will we get the 120-150 points from?", that's his entire point, that we wont, which will make us a bottom feeder team, hence how we will get the high draft picks to rebuild.

(I don't like the idea, I'm just explaining it)

I don't understand why people are asking "where will we get the 120-150 points from?", that's his entire point, that we wont, which will make us a bottom feeder team, hence how we will get the high draft picks to rebuild.

(I don't like the idea, I'm just explaining it)

Except that those points helps get us in the playoffs. I don't see Edmonton's young guns putting up those types of points and getting their team in the playoffs.

Archived