The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why I am worried about going in to the 2013/2014 season with the lineup we have.

penaltykiller

Whats the point of making negative threads like this? Are we supposed to speculate on this crap?

Remember people, the Twitterless Luongo was one of the if not the best goalie in the league at the time. His Save percentage and GAA will improve if he gives up twitter.

I, for one, am very worried about the quality of the Canucks' lineup going in to this season. The Canucks have had many troubles with the California teams, mainly San Jose, in recent memory. I do not have confidence in the Canucks' abilities to be able to defeat such teams. The California teams are the most important teams to beat as all THREE will be likely very close to us in the pacific standings.

1. The first sign is Luongo's confidence. Can he stay motivated and focused as the Canucks fight for a playoff spot with powerhouses such as the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, and Oilers?

Edmonton, for example, has been able to expose Luongo many times in the past and make him look sub par out there...

I think Luongo should give up twitter. Even Tortorella himself admitted it was a big distraction to a team trying to win especially with his often controversial comments. Sure, he gives his fans the occasional laugh, but is it worth costing the Canucks games? You be the judge.

2. The second sign is the uncertainty of center depth going in to the season. If Santorelli doesn't work out, who do the Canucks have? Schroeder, an undersized, one-dimensional center with a poor faceoff ability? Horvat, an undeveloped rookie who can't at this moment play at the nhl level? Dalpe, a recently acquired player known for his lack of defensive ability? Richardson, a 4th line center without the skill required to play on the third line?

3. Another sign is secondary scoring... Can we really rely on Higgins, Kesler, and Hansen as the guys to effectively chip in behind the Sedins? Higgins seems to be able to only provide offense suitable for a 3rd liner, Kesler only has a season high of SEVENTEEN even strength goals, and Jannik Hansen is only good for 40-50 points max in a season... The Canucks have lacked an effective second line for a very long time and it makes you wonder if that's a big reason as to why the Canucks haven't gone far in the playoffs these last two years..

I'm quite worried going in to this season and question whether the Canucks even have the ability to make the playoffs much less advance past the first round. Let's hope Tortorella has something magic up his sleeve or expect severe disappointment like the last two years..

I, for one, am very worried about the quality of the Canucks' lineup going in to this season. The Canucks have had many troubles with the California teams, mainly San Jose, in recent memory. I do not have confidence in the Canucks' abilities to be able to defeat such teams. The California teams are the most important teams to beat as all THREE will be likely very close to us in the pacific standings.

1. The first sign is Luongo's confidence. Can he stay motivated and focused as the Canucks fight for a playoff spot with powerhouses such as the Sharks, Kings, Ducks, and Oilers?

Edmonton, for example, has been able to expose Luongo many times in the past and make him look sub par out there...

I think Luongo should give up twitter. Even Tortorella himself admitted it was a big distraction to a team trying to win especially with his often controversial comments. Sure, he gives his fans the occasional laugh, but is it worth costing the Canucks games? You be the judge.

2. The second sign is the uncertainty of center depth going in to the season. If Santorelli doesn't work out, who do the Canucks have? Schroeder, an undersized, one-dimensional center with a poor faceoff ability? Horvat, an undeveloped rookie who can't at this moment play at the nhl level? Dalpe, a recently acquired player known for his lack of defensive ability? Richardson, a 4th line center without the skill required to play on the third line?

3. Another sign is secondary scoring... Can we really rely on Higgins, Kesler, and Hansen as the guys to effectively chip in behind the Sedins? Higgins seems to be able to only provide offense suitable for a 3rd liner, Kesler only has a season high of SEVENTEEN even strength goals, and Jannik Hansen is only good for 40-50 points max in a season... The Canucks have lacked an effective second line for a very long time and it makes you wonder if that's a big reason as to why the Canucks haven't gone far in the playoffs these last two years..

I'm quite worried going in to this season and question whether the Canucks even have the ability to make the playoffs much less advance past the first round. Let's hope Tortorella has something magic up his sleeve or expect severe disappointment like the last two years..

Okay, I'll bite.

1. Luongo will be just fine. Even if he still wants out of here, the only way that will happen is if he plays lights out. As far a Twitter - it's a way for him to "release". You obviously didn't play hockey and definitely weren't a goalie like I was and my daughter was. If I can coin a phrase one of my daughter's coaches used (I coached Ringette as well for over 10 years), it takes a certain wing nut to have success as a goalie.

2. Centers...no idea...we're in the same league as other teams and in case you didn't notice, there was a Cap crunch this year...

3. Yes, we can rely on the rest of the team to pick up some slack with secondary scoring. The team is going to be a different under Torts and I think he's going to motivate a few of the lads to play more at their potential.

4. I'm quite worried about the lack of commitment some fans here on CDC have - if you can't take the heat, then get out of the kitchen please and let the rest of us enjoy the fine food and drink.

Why I am worried about going in to the 2013/2014 season with the lineup we have.

Simply put.

You're a nancy boy with no optimism and the same tragic complaints as those Leaf Centric Shills on TSN. Grow an opinion of your own and start cheering for your team already

This is the best lineup we've had since 2010-11. Luongo will be fine and we have 4 centres (Santorelli, Richardson, Schroeder and Dalpe) for 2 bottom 6 jobs. Hopefully one of Schroeder, Santorelli or Dalpe can get the job done on the 3rd line, and the other two can have spot duty in some other capacity. If we have a viable second line this year, the third will fall into place, and the secondary scoring will come with it. Our power play will almost certainly be better also. My main concerns are whether the team re-establishes an identity, that is, a strong sense of what kind of game it plays, and whether we can hold up physically and injury wise, given that the league won't be doing us any favours, especially come playoff time.

The same thing that's plagued us for years now will rear it's ugly head again, MG's lack of being able to find elite secondary scoring (top 6) that has a definite role on this team as compared to a bunch of friendly contracts for nice guys that leave the coach with a nightmare of how to assemble a line-up.

I'm excited as heck though. Can't wait for Thursday to see what it looks like.

We need to trade some of our not ready youth and a pick for some ready youth if we're serious about this year. A young skilled 3c with some size, think a player like Charlie Coyle though he's probably untouchable. If we could do that and bump Santorelli to the 4th line i'd feel a lot better about things. As it is we're a Kesler/Sedin injury away from being a joke.

Sedins/Burr

Higgins/Kess/Hansen

Booth/Coyle/Kassian

Richardson/Santorelli/Weise

Not really digging this sitting on the fence direction of the organization, go all in or rebuild.

Archived