The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Honest analysis of our team

vcrguy

When they won the Cup, LA slept through the first 75% of that season, especially with a brutal offense. So, it's been done that way before. We need some of our depth-guys to come up big(at times), until we're more proficient playing Tort's way. Be patient until about Dec. Remind ourselves on how to get some ugly, greasy road wins.

Lu & our D performing to their usual standards, alongside this uneven fwd-production, should be enough to keep us in the mix. IF a nice trade opportunity arises(only giving up about 1 key young piece), we can go for it. Otherwise, sit tight & grind towards respectability. We can't expect to attain the standards of 3 seasons back-we've aged, as the competition's gotten better.

Need patience, people.

True... But for them, Dustin Brown stepped up BIG time, Dwight King, and Jordan Nolan came out of nowhere, they acquired Carter and Quick played amazing the whole year.

There are a lot of positives created by the coaching change, but our team is still declining with the lineup the way it is now. It would take a major trade to bring in some young, playoff-proven talent to get us into elite status again.

I would be scouring the Rangers, Devils and Flyers. Unfortunately with all the NTC's we have, we cannot perform anything major. Perhaps a rental down the road. But we usually don't win any big names there.

What we could do is lose the Sedins via free agency in the summer and build fill up the roster after that with free agents and *cough* help from within, but holy crow you might as well throw a stick of dynamite in the locker room after that happens.

We're probably closer to something with our only all-stars still here, but if they're on the decline, how long do we lock 'em up for?

I'd go year-to-year with them, if possible. Like Lidstrom.

There are a lot of positives created by the coaching change, but our team is still declining with the lineup the way it is now. It would take a major trade to bring in some young, playoff-proven talent to get us into elite status again.

I would be scouring the Rangers, Devils and Flyers. Unfortunately with all the NTC's we have, we cannot perform anything major. Perhaps a rental down the road. But we usually don't win any big names there.

What we could do is lose the Sedins via free agency in the summer and build fill up the roster after that with free agents and *cough* help from within, but holy crow you might as well throw a stick of dynamite in the locker room after that happens.

We're probably closer to something with our only all-stars still here, but if they're on the decline, how long do we lock 'em up for?

I'd go year-to-year with them, if possible. Like Lidstrom.

If you want to "loss" the Sedins, why do it in the least beneficial way to the team? Why not trade them for some picks etc? I mean if Iginla got a first rounder the Sedins would get waaaay more.

The team has yet to beat a contender nine games into the season with a new coach that brings 100% more grit,focus,attention,shot-blocking,determination,fitness and toughness.

It is early but it is what it is.

Hard to have a positive circle jerk with reality setting in.

Pretty hard to garner anything positive either, especially when you are negative/pessimistic about everything. You find it easier to be negative than positive all the time? You need to lighten up for the sake of your health.

Higgins, Hansen, Santorelli, Kassian....are like putting bandaids over a cut. It only covers the wound for a little while, eventually you need proper medicine for it to heal properly.

MG is being hopefully filling in fringe players to do a job they really aren't meant for. Eventually MG will have to find a legitimate top six player if he wants anything to work properly. Filling in 3rd line wingers into the top six is only a temporary solution, if that is his long term hope it will fail him.

Higgins, Hansen, Santorelli, Kassian....are like putting bandaids over a cut. It only covers the wound for a little while, eventually you need proper medicine for it to heal properly.

MG is being hopefully filling in fringe players to do a job they really aren't meant for. Eventually MG will have to find a legitimate top six player if he wants anything to work properly. Filling in 3rd line wingers into the top six is only a temporary solution, if that is his long term hope it will fail him.

and how do you find a legitimate top 6 player without trading away a legitimate top 6 player?

For now we can only depend on our core while filling up role players to support them. A legitimate top 6 would have to come from our farm which would be hunter, Horvat , Jensen and Gaunce next season.

Honestly our top 6 isn't that bad on paper. We have the Sedins, Kesler and Burrows as our regular top 6 and our defense is compose by pretty good players such as Hammy, Elder, garrison and Bieksa. Even our bottom 6 isn't that bad. We have Kassian, Booth, Hansen and a lot of other decent role players to fill in the gap.

Things is always slow in Oct. Litreally fans cried about our players aren't good enough every single freaking Oct and Nov, then the same group will complain that our team isn't good enough in mid season even when we are winning, and t hat regular season win won't matter. This same old crap have been cycyling for almos a decade and i just dont see it will change anytime soon.

let our player find their games. Top 6 will NOT fall from the sky without you giving out another top 6 or draft picks. The last thingw e need to see is to see our GM jerk his knee and disband the whole core like Philly.

It's true that we've been asking too many of our forwards to play a bit over their ability level for too long. But it isn't as though Gillis hasn't realized the need. Booth was supposed to be that top 6 forward, but obviously that hasn't panned out. Now maybe he should have gone to the well again and stopped giving so much priorty to the defense in his acquisitions. At the time, I couldn't figure out why he got Garrison when our D was in pretty good shape, although that looks like a pretty good move in hindsight. But if we can clear enough salary to get one top 6 forward, this is going to be a quick reload with the youth we have in the pipeline.

IMO our bottom six players will be just fine once everyones healthy

Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

Booth - Richardson - Santorelli

As others have said we are at least one top six forward away from being a serious contender.

Sedin - Sedin - ????

Burrows - Kesler - Kassian

Maybe once Burr is back he will help Kesler round into form? That second line looks nasty once they get a few games together.

more accurate than the OP imo - I see Burrows as A1 regardless simply because he is the team's WD40 who excels anywhere, and makes the whole lineup better - but regardless I think it's an upgrade on '1 player short'.

I have no problem with the fact that there is one top 6 spot that hasn't been locked down by anyone - imo there is nothing wrong with having a handful of players competing to step up - and no shortage of potential among them, particularly when the youth gain a little experience.

mmmmmm, I'm confused. He said Burrows was a 2nd liner which is exactly where I put him.

This team is built on false hope. This team is only competitive if the stars align and every player find their name. Gills has filled or core with has-been's and could-be's.Gillis needs to build a team based on what it is.

We can only blame the regs and the injury bug for so long. Right now, the excuse is that it's a new system.

Unless something very unexpected happens between now and deadline day, Gillis needs to start building the team with next year in mind.

I am by no means a Canuck fan, but I do follow them fairly closely due to geography...

I think there are some great pieces here, but there are too many 'if he could only get back to..., or he's ready to bust out...'

Booth, Kesler, Edler, Kassian, Higgins, Schroeder. Too much inconsistency (or nothing), from too many guys in the meat of the line-up to be considered a top team.

Not a shot against any of those guys, but that list needs to be a lot shorter.

I am by no means a Canuck fan, but I do follow them fairly closely due to geography...

I think there are some great pieces here, but there are too many 'if he could only get back to..., or he's ready to bust out...'

Booth, Kesler, Edler, Kassian, Higgins, Schroeder. Too much inconsistency (or nothing), from too many guys in the meat of the line-up to be considered a top team.

Not a shot against any of those guys, but that list needs to be a lot shorter.

Agreed. The Nucks core has been on declining trend since the SCF run. Instead of recognizing that and moving some assets to change the make-up of the team, MG has stuck with that core and added "project" players in the hope that some unknown will emerge and lead them to the promised land. Santorelli this year filled that role to some extent but the core continues to under-perform. After 2+ years of this, it should be obvious that while a coaching change can raise the energy level, it can't overcome a lack of real hockey talent and IQ. This team remains reliant almost totally on Henrik Sedin for its offense with no meaningful secondary threat.

You know if I close my eyes and use all my thought power of utter ridiculous fantastical whimsy creativity, I can envision 1 trade that would make us a contender. Vanek + Miller for Luongo and Booth (cap dump for Vanek's salary) and Schroeder. And then have Miller and Vanek both sign contracts with us (they are both UFAs)

I don't think we are going to become a contender this year :(

Archived