The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Collective feeling on Tort's 'antics'?

Steve Carell

Yah he wasn't bad, but our team was regressing with only one win in two playoff showings, and we were the laughing stock of the league known as the 'cry baby divers'. Teams loved to beat on us because we thought so highly of ourselves in our 'non-combative' style. We got too smug under AV. Torts while whipping the players into working hard,also has to stand by his team and defend it.

I agree that the team had issues under AV as well, and in my posts I did say that our reputation has been poor for several years. I thought that 2010/11 was when we handled it the best, right up until the pressure of the SCF got us off our game. Since then, I'm not sure I really agree with Gillis' remodelling. We had something that was working really well, and I think we just got a bit unlucky, especially with injuries.

So, before we were whiners and divers. Now, we're trying to be tough guys.

Why can't we be a team like 2010/11 and just stop the whining and diving, rather than trying to re-invent the entire team's identity? I loved the professionalism that team displayed, never getting too low after a loss, or too high after a win. It clearly worked for this group, why try to make them something they're not?

They need to act professionally and CALM DOWN.

In a league that's anything but (professional), why? Professionally like that ref who called our guy an f with an a on ice during gameplay? If the league set the bar there (with professionalism), they'd garner that. But they steered this train off the rails.

that seem to prefer adopting a victim mentality, rather than one of perseverance. Maybe we should be looking at the things the team needs to changer, rather than continuing to blame others for our lack of success.

This team has changed and bent and conformed and complied. Nothing worked. And, as "victims" tonight they stood up and said "OK, we're done". Tired of people putting it back to this team...the blame is on the league because it's been so damn inconsistent and has played favourites. It messes with the psyche and confidence.

Love torts,on a side note princess j stock has to be one of the biggest losers on TV.

I don't understand this, I don't care for him much myself, but what he said was true. If Torts wanted to diffuse the situation he could have send other players out there.

He didn't and he stuck up for his players and good for him, I admire that, but don't bitch and moan about the confrontation because you helped make it happen.

Also, I think AV takes way too much abuse on here. What did he ever do wrong? Plus, put him and torts in a cage and AV comes out victorious 7 days of the week.

It's not really about Tortorella.

That may be what a few halfwits - with an axe to grind - on the CBC may want to sell, but that's a very weak reversal of the obvious context

The fact of the matter - Hartley lined Westgarth up to take the opening draw, flanked by McGratton.

It was a lose lose situation, dictated by a coach whose team is losing a lot of hockey games.

Perhaps it's an attempt to gain favour and retain his job with a GM who certainly seemed to appreciate similar antics in Toronto. Perhaps it was a consensus move that the Flames organization as a whole thought would be the message they wanted to send, or a strategic move they thought might pay off.

Regardless, whether or not folks consider fighting a legitimate part of the game, where there is near consensus is in considering this kind of staged thing inappropriate and damaging to the NHL's image.

People can try to finesse Hartley's decision all they want - it was pretty transparent what the intention was.

It was a clear invitation that sets his own players up for the predictable result.

The simple question for a blockhead like Stock is "what would you have done as the opposing coach?"

If his answer truly was to send out the Sedins or a skilled line, as he implied in blaming Tortorella for essentially 'line matching', then he is truly as dense as we've suspected all along. But of course, that was ingenuine.

I think he embarrassed the CBC with his rant and slant more than Tortorella allegedly embarrassed the NHL ('in America'). What a telling comment, Stock's crocodile tears regarding how this would be perceived in the States. HIs attempt to spin his 'reasoning' as anything other than a personal and rather small minded vendetta was laughable. When did PJ Stock start advocating a turn the other cheek approach? Give us a break.

His foaming at the mouth over Tortorella only serves to build Tortorella's popularity in Vancouver. Suspending Tortorella for reacting to a lose lose invitation from Hartley - would only have the same effect. To be clear - it was a lose lose situation for the game of hockey - but for Tortorella himself - not really - he's not the originator of this context. Tortorella's only real option was to linematch. As a franchise that has attempted to trend away from the enforcer era NHL and the style of hockey on display tonight - with the result being that it's been undermined by the 'disciplinary' approach of the NHL, and in a media sense, perceived as a team with no pushback, whose marquis players are referred to as "sisters", the Canucks have accepted the fact that they'd have to answer this type of thing in kind.

The irony is that they're supposed to be ashamed of themselves now that they've obliged. It's quite simple - a double standard. The other irony - from the same CBC camp that's firing the condemnations come comments from both Stock and Weekes implying that there is a real and underlying imperative to sell the game south of the border - that Tortorella supposedly damaged tonight ;) - and that was less likely to result in a punitive response from the NHL when it took place in a marquis US market as it is now in Vancouver. Sounds like they both undervalue and take the Canadian/Vancouver market for granted.

I also missed their commentary regarding Hartley's part in the circus.

Red herrings all around.

The quality of their broadcasting is something Elliotte Freedman can't rescue them from.

I agree with his decision to put the 4th line out to start the game.

But going after the Flames in the hallway outside their locker room is pushing the limit for sure. That's a line you don't cross. Settle scores on the ice. Don't let it become a personal, physical, and verbal battle. It's tough because he has so much passion. But it's something I have learned throughout the course of my career as a hockey player. Being passionate about something it's not excuse you from taking actions that endanger other people. And being passionate about something certainly does not mean that you can be emotional about a situation and cross the line

Boy this really isn't going to help our image across the league. Talk about being the most hated team eh!

im glad to have a coach that shows emotion... the calgary lineup was brutally obvious what they had in mind, i think hartley should be fined for that... westgarth was supposed to take his 4th faceoff of the season against henrik? when is this blind eyes to the sedins getting cross checked, slashed and generally abused going to end? how many years ago did burke say "sedin is not swedish for punhc me in a scrum and put me in a headlock". bah. 2 points, good game.

i think torts SHOULD get what roy got for pushing over a glass stantion while screaming at the other coach, but it looks like the hockey world might villify torts a lot more than roy.

Archived