The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have a better chance of making the playoffs than you might think

Time Lord

I will start off by saying that we are going through a really tough 7 game losing streak in which players are underachieving and nothing is really going right for us. We are in a bad position and changes need to be made for the team to get better and make the playoffs.

Everyone seems to think that we are not making the playoffs. However, what does it mean if we are just 1 point out a playoff spot after a 7 game losing streak? It is unlikely that this streak, or any streak, will be sustained for an extended period of time. Of course there always is the chance that this streak goes on until the end of the season, but that is VERY unlikely.

If we were heading into the Olympic break on a 7 game winning streak, but still 1 point out of the playoffs, would you like our chances better? Like I mentioned earlier, streaks will not be sustained, so it would be more likely that we miss the playoffs in that situation.

I'll ask one more time: Would it be better if we were on a 7 game win streak but still in the same spot in the standings?

Does it even truly matter at this point? This might be the year to nab a high pick, just before a speedy turnaround(eg:Philly gets JVR, then jumps back into the PO-fray).

Wouldn't mind dealing a few vets for more young pieces; then replace them vets with a few FA signings.

This team is elite and they can compete. If they get some decent coaching they can compete with the best.

No need to tank.

Who cares if we do? It'll be another 4 and out. Then Gillis can say we did well, but (insert excuses here) and nothing will change.

I now want this team to miss the playoffs, and hopefully we will see more and more empty seats in the stands along the way. Hit the owner in the pocket book and maybe he will be forced to do something.

In November we were better than we were in October. Things changed.

In December we were better than we were in November. Things changed.

In January we were worse than December. Things changed.

In February we were worse than January. The Olympic break, things changed for all teams.

In March, things can change ... for better or worse.

I think those concerned aren't really focused on making or missing the playoffs as much as the lack of scoring and ability to sustain any type of pressure or attack. That, even in getting in, it won't matter if there isn't a marked improvement in the level of play.

I see your point...that this is the worst case scenario that's playing out and it isn't likely to continue as "all bad". But there's nothing really to indicate it won't and playoffs will be a write off in that case.

I am a "believer" (homer). But I also see the compete level way down right now - for whatever reason. I know anything can happen and the playoffs are a restart...everyone's at a level playing field as far as "standings" at that point. But if we can't beat teams now we certainly won't then. So that's where the concern lies...not in making the playoffs, in having a level of play that will be competitvie IN the playoffs should we get there.

I'm hoping - no, expecting, that Burr's aquarium removal will help his play and that scoring will come in bunches for him.

I am hopeful in what I've seen from Kes and Higgins.

I actually like what I've seen from Booth and am encouraged by that.

I like Kass and think he loves the game...that can rub off on others and spark some energy.

Hansen's a bit shellshocked right now...but know that he can make a difference and am counting on it.

Sedins....they're tougher if nothing else...if they can find the net again, they won't be pushovers or taking crap as they've had to in the past.

I have faith in Lu and Lack.

Injured guys should be healed and chomping at the bit. We'll miss Santo...damn that part hurts. He had something to prove and was doing so...tough luck there.

Tom is one of my favourites (already). The fact that he's got others' backs is huge.

I do still hold out hope. I think right out of the gates after the break we'll know. If they're stumbling and slow, it's done. If they have some jump and look eager to get back on top of things, they likely can.

This team is elite and they can compete. If they get some decent coaching they can compete with the best.

No need to tank.

Im quite honestly shocked people still believe this team is elite... Do i think making the playoffs is out of the question absolutely not. Were coming off 7 straight losses and unbelievably still in the thick of things but how you view this team as elite is beyond me.

Id much rather get as low a pick as we can get than go into the playoffs and get blown out. Yeah yeah yeah anything can happpen once your in but lets be realistic has this team shown anything that suggests they can beat the likes of LA, SJ, ANA. This team making the playoffs would just be delaying the inevitable.

Canucks have a 23.945% chance to make the playoffs.

Yes, that's way better than the Oilers 0.00605%

However, The Kings are sitting at 88.186%, the Wild are listed at 74.695 and the Stars at 55.82% and the Yotes at 41.299%.

Not impossible but very challenging....

Canucks have a 23.945% chance to make the playoffs.

Yes, that's way better than the Oilers 0.00605%

However, The Kings are sitting at 88.186%, the Wild are listed at 74.695 and the Stars at 55.82% and the Yotes at 41.299%.

Not impossible but very challenging....

The odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 14 million, but people still win. :)

I don't like using odds because there isn't anything constant or reliable to base them on.... at any given time those with the best odds to win can completely unravel, fall to injury or illness, etc. and teams that are lagging can have a turning point of the season as things start to click.

So many different things factoring in that it's hard to predict anything. Goaltenders who are hot/cold play a huge roll. A team that's hard to beat can suddenly slump (Chicago had a bit of that going on recently didn't they?). Kind of unpredictable...we expect some teams to do better than others but it isn't always so.

Could outside factors have contributed to the players losing heart? We'd lost a frustrating amount of points(in a variety of ways), by mid-season. Then we tried to stand up to intentional abuse(like Brown on Luongo). We finally had more size, & we tried to stand up, & be counted. What happens? Prompt ejections & 10 min misconducts...SEVEN MINUTE PK'S! TWO MEN DOWN for SEVEN MINUTES?!?! Stuff people had NEVER before witnessed.

So then the team's afraid to play aggressive. What's next? Some 230 lb German goon(who isn't brave enough to square off), illegally decimating some of our most key fwds with his lumber. No suspension.

If I were on this team, at that point, it would be beyond frustration, approaching a vile HATRED towards he rigged deck this league has become. Would be enough to drive a crazy man sane.

Of course, follow up all these episodes with a succession of 5 or 6 MORE injuries..Of course.

Could outside factors have contributed to the players losing heart? We'd lost a frustrating amount of points(in a variety of ways), by mid-season. Then we tried to stand up to intentional abuse(like Brown on Luongo). We finally had more size, & we tried to stand up, & be counted. What happens? Prompt ejections & 10 min misconducts...SEVEN MINUTE PK'S! TWO MEN DOWN for SEVEN MINUTES?!?! Stuff people had NEVER before witnessed.

So then the team's afraid to play aggressive. What's next? Some 230 lb German goon(who isn't brave enough to square off), illegally decimating some of our most key fwds with his lumber. No suspension.

If I were on this team, at that point, it would be beyond frustration, approaching a vile HATRED towards he rigged deck this league has become. Would be enough to drive a crazy man sane.

Of course, follow up all these episodes with a succession of 5 or 6 MORE injuries..Of course.

^ I believe this is a big part of it. With most things, if it seems hopeless/pointless, people will give up. Which is sad. So many things could be factoring in and I believe they are.

Archived