The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have a better chance of making the playoffs than you might think

Time Lord

I'm with Primal Optimist. Hoping for failure, no matter what the ultimate benefit just goes against my grain.

Honestly, the collective angst in this thread (and on the boards for the past month) makes me shake my head. Yes, it sucks losing, especially the way the Canucks have been doing so, but if it really bothers people that much, maybe take up another hobby or start cheering for the Ducks, Hawks or Penguins.

And spare me the "I've been watching this team for X amount of years!" routine. I've been following the 'Nucks since day 1.

Personally, I watch and hope for the best, but when it doesn't happen, I don't start looking for the nearest bridge to jump off of. Conversely, I don't start planning the parade after an early season win streak. (nor do I anoint the coach as "the best ever!")

I enjoy hockey for what it is: The game I love and have been immersed in for 47 years. I understand that there are no guarantees and the "I complain because I care" mantra makes no sense to me. Neither the players, the coaches, nor management give a fig what you think, so you're really wasting your time and causing yourself undue stress.

The team turning things around at this point certainly looks like a long shot, but that's what makes sport great. The unexpected sometimes does happen.

people in this thread can go ahead and say "it's impossible", but I'm not throwing in the towel until the math tells me it is.

I'm with Primal Optimist. Hoping for failure, no matter what the ultimate benefit just goes against my grain.

Honestly, the collective angst in this thread (and on the boards for the past month) makes me shake my head. Yes, it sucks losing, especially the way the Canucks have been doing so, but if it really bothers people that much, maybe take up another hobby or start cheering for the Ducks, Hawks or Penguins.

And spare me the "I've been watching this team for X amount of years!" routine. I've been following the 'Nucks since day 1.

Personally, I watch and hope for the best, but when it doesn't happen, I don't start looking for the nearest bridge to jump off of. Conversely, I don't start planning the parade after an early season win streak. (nor do I anoint the coach as "the best ever!")

I enjoy hockey for what it is: The game I love and have been immersed in for 47 years. I understand that there are no guarantees and the "I complain because I care" mantra makes no sense to me. Neither the players, the coaches, nor management give a fig what you think, so you're really wasting your time and causing yourself undue stress.

The team turning things around at this point certainly looks like a long shot, but that's what makes sport great. The unexpected sometimes does happen.

people in this thread can go ahead and say "it's impossible", but I'm not throwing in the towel until the math tells me it is.

Thanks for sharing your outlook and coping mechanism. Having said that, there is no "one size fits all" and while how others deal with their expectations or in what manner they enjoy following hockey doesn't make your way any better or realistic for others.

The variety of views, opinions, vents, constructive criticism, etc., whether overly negative or overly positive are what makes reading comments interesting. Sometimes this place is just here to let of steam, other times to be more objective or analytical. What it does accomplish is to give all Nuck fans a place to gather regardless of whether we understand each other's viewpoint or not.

Dude, the Canucks are going to have to go about 15-7 to grab the bottom rung of the playoff ladder. Not elite.

I agree with this.. a total 180 would have to happen to grab that 8th spot. 15 wins in 22 games is a must and might even need some loser points as well.

I agree with this.. a total 180 would have to happen to grab that 8th spot. 15 wins in 22 games is a must and might even need some loser points as well.

yes .. i see the canucks going on a winning streak , starting with the 1st 4 games back .... they are gonna kick some ... hahahha sorry I tried !!!! ha i can't actually say that seriously ....

Not like us getting healthy and if the Kings started getting injured they could easily drop...or Dallas...If Benn/Seguin/Kopitar/Doughty/Carter got injured depending on severity and how much time missed could easily make or break those teams

Any team that loses 6-8 players at once is going to hurt their chances at winning games

Canucks have a 23.945% chance to make the playoffs.

Yes, that's way better than the Oilers 0.00605%

However, The Kings are sitting at 88.186%, the Wild are listed at 74.695 and the Stars at 55.82% and the Yotes at 41.299%.

Not impossible but very challenging....

But these numbers are all dependent on outcomes of teams both ahead and behind us. There is nothing certain about those percentages whatsoever.

Dallas and Minnesota have both been over achieving of late (as have the likes of Winnipeg)

LA has been equally as bad and could continue to fall

Could outside factors have contributed to the players losing heart? We'd lost a frustrating amount of points(in a variety of ways), by mid-season. Then we tried to stand up to intentional abuse(like Brown on Luongo). We finally had more size, & we tried to stand up, & be counted. What happens? Prompt ejections & 10 min misconducts...SEVEN MINUTE PK'S! TWO MEN DOWN for SEVEN MINUTES?!?! Stuff people had NEVER before witnessed.

So then the team's afraid to play aggressive. What's next? Some 230 lb German goon(who isn't brave enough to square off), illegally decimating some of our most key fwds with his lumber. No suspension.

If I were on this team, at that point, it would be beyond frustration, approaching a vile HATRED towards he rigged deck this league has become. Would be enough to drive a crazy man sane.

Of course, follow up all these episodes with a succession of 5 or 6 MORE injuries..Of course.

^ I believe this is a big part of it. With most things, if it seems hopeless/pointless, people will give up. Which is sad. So many things could be factoring in and I believe they are.

I personally believe the whole Browngate, then subsequent games in Anaheim, Calgary and Phoenix de-focussed the team.

With Torts, the compete level was always high through December. Getting guys too wound up has left a lull! You could see a let down was coming, just like when Lou was fussed over tire pumping. The whole Brown thing, which had Torts and everybody else's juice flowing just led to the Calgary debacle.

Torts deserves a slap for letting that get out of hand! Its since the Calgary game the compete level suffered.

But the break is probably very good for us. Cooler heads can prevail, frustration does not have to be in our face every day for the next two weeks. I think we'll be ok.

I still believe we will pull out a 7th or 8th seed!

Edit: but if Torts loses the team over this affair, and the poor effort continues? Well there goes the theory that the players can handle a little a rough tough coach. We've just invested in Torts to see if the ship can be turned around again. If he can't, I'm moving players before Torts. Not there yet, just sayin???

But these numbers are all dependent on outcomes of teams both ahead and behind us. There is nothing certain about those percentages whatsoever.

Dallas and Minnesota have both been over achieving of late (as have the likes of Winnipeg)

LA has been equally as bad and could continue to fall

They are probability statistics.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/WhatIsThis.html

The most accurate way to see where you are in the standings is by point percentage. It measures how many points in the standings you have received per game played. Games in hand have no effect.

Using this measurement, the Canucks are actually 22nd in the league, and are already on pace to have the 9th overall pick.

I think the 4 games between the Olympics and the deadline will have a BIG effect on what Gillis does. If we win 3/4 of them, MG may try to shore up for a playoff chance, since well be right in the thick. (Not big ticket rentals, but decent NHL-ers who can contribute). But if we come out of this break still losing, we're absolute toast, and there will be no reason NOT to sell.

...I'm still not decided on which course I would prefer. I'll probably just enjoy the silver lining in whatever happens.

I personally believe the whole Browngate, then subsequent games in Anaheim, Calgary and Phoenix de-focussed the team.

With Torts, the compete level was always high through December. Getting guys too wound up has left a lull! You could see a let down was coming, just like when Lou was fussed over tire pumping. The whole Brown thing, which had Torts and everybody else's juice flowing just led to the Calgary debacle.

Torts deserves a slap for letting that get out of hand! Its since the Calgary game the compete level suffered.

But the break is probably very good for us. Cooler heads can prevail, frustration does not have to be in our face every day for the next two weeks. I think we'll be ok.

I still believe we will pull out a 7th or 8th seed!

Edit: but if Torts loses the team over this affair, and the poor effort continues? Well there goes the theory that the players can handle a little a rough tough coach. We've just invested in Torts to see if the ship can be turned around again. If he can't, I'm moving players before Torts. Not there yet, just sayin???

Hi Surfer, Lots of opinions on all this jazz, but too lazy(slow?) to type it all out! I believe there was a little more media-strategy going on (from coaches/mgt) than they'll admit to. It's a very corrupt league, & Van certainly AIN'T 'insiders'..let's agree on that! They might have WANTED a brighter spotlight if Devorski's punishment was an indication of the potential obstacles.

We got the long Oly-break now, & I plan to hockey-meditate with sutras for the hockey Gods...

We all blather on here with our 'expert' opinions about the team's pitfalls, sins & remedies. What if it IS a rigged deck?! All thousand of us posters might as well heckle/insult each other, while simultaneously advise (all listeners) on tactics in Vegas, that'll SURELY pay big dividends.

Unfortunately, what happens in Bettman's/Campbell's(et al) devious little craniums(& HQ office) likely stays there, as the lame ad suggests...

This team is elite and they can compete. If they get some decent coaching they can compete with the best.

No need to tank.

Decent coaching is the key. I am not optimistic however that the majority of fans or mangement sees it this way. I think we are in for a era of steady decline. But I am with you need decent coaching and this team regains its elite status quickly.

After the Olympic break there are 4 games to be played before the trade deadline on Mar.5

STL, MIN, OTT at home and in PHO on Mar.4

If we win all 4 our chances improve alot

If we don't win at least 3 we are toast and should become sellers at the deadline

Then you go back to the same old boring question: who do you sell? Most old, overpaid players have NTCs.

I have no idea why making the playoffs is some bottom line every year for the team. If they changed the draft lottery I would agree.

As it stands its good to tank once in a while to get a top 5 pick. Look at Tampa's and Colorado's model.

I still say they should take the 14 non playoff teams, give them one ball each and just start pulling them out one by one to set the draft order. That will eliminate tanking and make the final weeks of the season more exciting.

I think if you honestly have been following the team for 47 years, (and I have for 37) then you shouldnt care how other people perceive the team. I do not.

Some want the team to make the playoffs. Do the best they can. No harm in that. However, just like everything else, it has consequences. The long term health of the franchise points to drafting better players. If Gillis can pull rabbits out of hats and find us franchise talent while having an honest to goodness contender every year, then I am all in.

But you know how that story ends. After 47 years you have seen the tape many times over.

When the team sucked from 77 to 91, I assume you did what most of us did. Get a back up team. Mine was the Oilers. When the Canucks failed, I cheered for them.

I will cheer for the Lightning when the Canucks are out . A 'true' hockey fan can find fun in the game without their favorite team being in it. And as a 'true' fan, I want the best future for the team that we can have.

I have no idea why making the playoffs is some bottom line every year for the team. If they changed the draft lottery I would agree.

As it stands its good to tank once in a while to get a top 5 pick. Look at Tampa's and Colorado's model.

I still say they should take the 14 non playoff teams, give them one ball each and just start pulling them out one by one to set the draft order. That will eliminate tanking and make the final weeks of the season more exciting.

But then if a team is fighting for the 16th spot, they may say, we have almost no chance against Anaheim for example, but if we lose our last 2 games we have as much chance as Edmonton to draft a stud. We penalize the team that just make 16th?

Canucks WILL make the playoffs this year.

Look at their March / April schedule.

Sure, they had an awful January and they will probably come out of February with 0 or 1 wins (won't beat STL, might beat MN).

March has a ton of road games, but Canucks also face a bunch of weak teams in March. Anaheim & Colorado are the only really elite teams they face in March.

Now April. 5/6 of the games are at home, and the lone away game is against the lowly Oilers. Granted, they play Anaheim, LA, and Colorado in April, so that might be tough.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic. I think the Canucks' worst games are behind them and there's a good chance they could go on a hot streak in March.

I think if you honestly have been following the team for 47 years, (and I have for 37) then you shouldnt care how other people perceive the team. I do not.

Some want the team to make the playoffs. Do the best they can. No harm in that. However, just like everything else, it has consequences. The long term health of the franchise points to drafting better players. If Gillis can pull rabbits out of hats and find us franchise talent while having an honest to goodness contender every year, then I am all in.

But you know how that story ends. After 47 years you have seen the tape many times over.

When the team sucked from 77 to 91, I assume you did what most of us did. Get a back up team. Mine was the Oilers. When the Canucks failed, I cheered for them.

I will cheer for the Lightning when the Canucks are out . A 'true' hockey fan can find fun in the game without their favorite team being in it. And as a 'true' fan, I want the best future for the team that we can have.

A few things:

First of all, I don't particularly care what other people think of the team, however when I see so much negativity and angst, I genuinely wonder why people bother putting themselves through so much stress and it leads me to ask the question..

Secondly, I understand that high draft picks will ultimately better the franchise, but as I said before, purposely tanking (or hoping for my team to do so) goes against my grain. Perhaps it's the player in me. I've never done it myself, nor will I ever. (I grant that my situation is not remotely similar to that of a professional hockey team, but it is what it is)

Thirdly, when you put the words "true fams" in quotation marks, it implies that I made reference to the term myself. I did not. I am a fan period. I understand that most of the people crying in their beers are fans as well. They're just a different breed of fan than I am.

4th, my backup team in the dark ages was the Islanders, mainly due to playing against Trottier's younger brother in the Kamloops International Bantam Tournament many years back. The '82 finals were a tough one for me, but FTR, I was cheering for the Canucks. :)

Finally, I also want the best for the future of my favorite team. Frankly, I find it a tad insulting to suggest that I don't, just because I'm not a fan of throwing in the towel before the team is mathematically elimnated from playoff contention.

Tanking does not build championship teams. Strong leadership and shrewd asset management does.

Chicago was a joke even with the same core players until ownership changed and Scotty bowman became a consultant. LA underachieved because of god awful coaching and it took getting Sutter and making the ballsy move to get Jeff carter which got them the cup. St Louis looked like they'd be losers forever until Hitchcock came in and properly steered the ship. Detroit has always stayed successful because their top players mentor their younger ones and they develop their game to the Max by following the lead of champions.

Poor leadership is why tanking teams such as the oilers, islanders and flames stay on the bottom of the pile despite getting in top drafting position year after year.

You have to ask yourself: why would I want to be associated with losers who are ok staying as losers?

After the Olympic break there are 4 games to be played before the trade deadline on Mar.5

STL, MIN, OTT at home and in PHO on Mar.4

If we win all 4 our chances improve alot

If we don't win at least 3 we are toast and should become sellers at the deadline

Who do we sell?

Personally I was thinking that MG might not re-sign the Sedins early and then trade them as rentals, depending on the standings at the deadline. Possibly they would have gone for low first rounders (as with Iginla last year), or maybe together for a first and second round pick, although their recent play would have made that unlikely. MG could still re-sign them in the summer and they might have appreciated the opportunity to try for a Stanley Cup, even as rentals.

All spilled milk now, however.

Archived