The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have a better chance of making the playoffs than you might think

Time Lord

at least they didn't get swept during those 2 years lol...and they did do a decent push back during 11. 2 cups for 4 years VS 0 in 43? lol...

See, now you're talking about something else entirely.

Do you know how many years the Hawks went without a cup before 2010?

See, now you're talking about something else entirely.

Do you know how many years the Hawks went without a cup before 2010?

does it really matter? they have 2 in the last 4 seasons and we weren't even in the league for the first 9 years of their drought

Chicago cups since 1970: 2

Vancouver cups since 1970: 0

I think this team will do better after the break, streaks were made to end, we are not going to lose every single game from here on out. We will get points again that is just a fact, question is, how will the teams around us fair? We will likely fight our way back, but I won't be disappointed if we don't make the playoffs.

Getting a top 10 pick would be much better than making the playoffs

Not true!!! This is not a deep draft like last year. Tanking would be a mistake. Trading for picks would also be a mistake. If anything we should try to acquire picks from the 2015 draft.

well... I hope the team makes the playoffs.

but it just is about a 0% chance. If they really start playing well and make it - then they could probably do some damage in the playoffs, cause they'd have to be so hot in order to get there they just might do something!

But... to get to 95 points, this team would have to go 14-4-4 (or 18-4) in their last 22 games. that is an 80% winning average - just to get in. Seeing as how this team hasn't won in 7 games, and they are still beat up... Realistically there is 0% chance.

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/week+from+post+Olympic+restart+Canucks+still/9527658/story.html

the rose coloured glasses came off in January ;( But hey, if they win 80% of their games going forward it sure would be fun! but I haven't seen any indication that is even remotely likely, let alone probable.

The Nux are in tough to make the playoffs...

5 pts behind LA, whom has a game in hand....

1 point behind 8th and 9th place Dallas and Phoenix, both with 2 games in hand...

and just 1 point up on the surging Winnipeg Jets, who are even in GP.

If the Canucks make the playoffs, I agree that theyll be tough to beat, cause theyll be one of the hottest teams in the conference.

As far as having the next 4 games to look at before deciding whether we're sellers or not, Im not so sure. We dont have any impact UFAs to lose, so theres no rush in making a move, unless theyre in the buying department. Dont get me wrong, I think theres a very decent chance of a hockey trade being made at the deadline, but "selling" isnt something they have to worry about, unless the are able to attain a 1st round pick for a player like Hansen or Higgins, otherwise, its better to hold onto your chips untill you know what the actual draft positions are.

Edler... mayyyybe.... But the cost at the deadline will be steep.

Kesler... Strongly doubt it. HUGE return if move was made here.

Luongo... No clue what his market value is, or whod be interested... I do believe STL is quietly kicking the tires though.

And... If we aren't making the playoffs.... This is the year to sell and get a draft picks this year and next. Any top 5 this year or next please ;)

IMHO ... If u miss the playoffs u should be selling mid to older players ... Cause you're not even close if u are missing te playoffs. Which is basically the whole team. Not even close even I they make it.

Time for a culture change and please do it right and not make moves when u are forced to! Sell the right pieces and keep the right ones... With an actual "realistic" plan please

Our GM suffers from rose-coloured-glass-igitous ... But hopefully he is learning...

"I'll ask one more time: Would it be better if we were on a 7 game win streak but still in the same spot in the standings?"

Not IMO. It's really irrelevant whether they were winning/losing before the break. The fact is, they are currently statistically unlikely to make the playoffs. I read somewhere there's a 23% chance of them making it - that's pretty low.

The funny thing is, this team is a still a top 10 puck possession team in league. Meaning they should be in the playoffs. Also meaning, something went terribly wrong this season if they don't make it. It's Gillis and co.'s job to find out what that is (should it happen).

"I'll ask one more time: Would it be better if we were on a 7 game win streak but still in the same spot in the standings?"

Not IMO. It's really irrelevant whether they were winning/losing before the break. The fact is, they are currently statistically unlikely to make the playoffs. I read somewhere there's a 23% chance of them making it - that's pretty low.

The funny thing is, this team is a still a top 10 puck possession team in league. Meaning they should be in the playoffs. Also meaning, something went terribly wrong this season if they don't make it. It's Gillis and co.'s job to find out what that is (should it happen).

"I read somewhere there's a 23% chance of them making it" don't cut it in this league kid. In fact, it doesn't cut it in life.

Of course, on a hockey related note; being a top 10 puck possession team in the league means nothing if the you don't do anything with the puck. For example, score goals.

Why aren't the Canucks not scoring goals? They're decimated. Injured.

The Olympic break is exactly what the Doctors ordered; litteraly. Rest. Time to heal.

Luongo is coming back healthy, rested and excited by the whole Olympic experience. Not playing will have fired him up.

"And now I have a Stanley Cup" is what I want to hear from Luongo. And perhaps, everything will align late in the season.

In fact, I love that the Canucks are right in the thick of things. They find themselves competing again. I like that. I've thought for a long time that the Canucks were brilliant teams but without a worthy opponent. I do not include in this latter statement, the Boston Heist that recently occured; that wasn't hockey.

Now, the Canucks have it given to them every night. Tortorella has also had a few thoughts during the last month that will strongly benefit the team. He watched his team the way no coach is truly allowed to during the season; at home, on his couch. I believe that will strongly benefit the team both in the short and the long run.

I like that. Especially when they win. And they do. Healing is everything in this case. Just watch.

Currently the Canucks have 63 points with 22 games left.

05/06 was the last season the Canucks missed the playoffs, they had 93 points and ended up in 9th. Looking over the last few full seasons it looks like the 8th place team in the West needs about 95 points.

Based on that, the Canucks will probably need 32 points in the last 22 games, or something like 15-5-2.

This past December, the Canucks' record was 10-1-2. Here's hoping the "December" Canucks show up after the Olympic break.

Archived