The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We have a better chance of making the playoffs than you might think

Time Lord

It's not even about making the playoffs this year for me anymore.

I'm more concerned about the bigger picture and long term prospects for this team if they don't make the changes that are obviously necessary.

Delaying the changes that need to be made to bring in both young prospects and high draft picks only serves to further devalue the remaining assets we have that could bring in the top prospects and/or high picks we need to prevent an otherwise much longer rebuild.

^ I believe this is a big part of it. With most things, if it seems hopeless/pointless, people will give up. Which is sad. So many things could be factoring in and I believe they are.

If the players on this team phyche is that fragile we have no hope. No professional player should be worrying about the calls the refs make and i don't think they do. This team has an identity crisis plain and simple. We tried the rough and tough game against LA and lost.. that lasted about 2 games before it ended... This team isn't built to play that style. This team has no identity whatsoever. You don't build an identity overnight and that what it seems this team tried to do.

The odds of winning the lottery are 1 in 14 million, but people still win. :)

I don't like using odds because there isn't anything constant or reliable to base them on.... at any given time those with the best odds to win can completely unravel, fall to injury or illness, etc. and teams that are lagging can have a turning point of the season as things start to click.

So many different things factoring in that it's hard to predict anything. Goaltenders who are hot/cold play a huge roll. A team that's hard to beat can suddenly slump (Chicago had a bit of that going on recently didn't they?). Kind of unpredictable...we expect some teams to do better than others but it isn't always so.

Like someone said, we need to win 15 of the next 22 to make it, which puts us at 93 points.

I'm guessing that would be fine in the East, but the West we may need 95 points.

Which is 32 out of a possible 44 points...say a 15-5-2 record.

If the Canucks were completely healthy - I'd say yes, no problemo.

But they won't be completely healthy.

Santorelli is done for the season - so there's 1 we won't get back.

For the others, if they are back after the Olympic break, will they be 100%?

Maybe if we pickup a trade?

I think those concerned aren't really focused on making or missing the playoffs as much as the lack of scoring and ability to sustain any type of pressure or attack. That, even in getting in, it won't matter if there isn't a marked improvement in the level of play.

I see your point...that this is the worst case scenario that's playing out and it isn't likely to continue as "all bad". But there's nothing really to indicate it won't and playoffs will be a write off in that case.

I am a "believer" (homer). But I also see the compete level way down right now - for whatever reason. I know anything can happen and the playoffs are a restart...everyone's at a level playing field as far as "standings" at that point. But if we can't beat teams now we certainly won't then. So that's where the concern lies...not in making the playoffs, in having a level of play that will be competitvie IN the playoffs should we get there.

I'm hoping - no, expecting, that Burr's aquarium removal will help his play and that scoring will come in bunches for him.

I am hopeful in what I've seen from Kes and Higgins.

I actually like what I've seen from Booth and am encouraged by that.

I like Kass and think he loves the game...that can rub off on others and spark some energy.

Hansen's a bit shellshocked right now...but know that he can make a difference and am counting on it.

Sedins....they're tougher if nothing else...if they can find the net again, they won't be pushovers or taking crap as they've had to in the past.

I have faith in Lu and Lack.

Injured guys should be healed and chomping at the bit. We'll miss Santo...damn that part hurts. He had something to prove and was doing so...tough luck there.

Tom is one of my favourites (already). The fact that he's got others' backs is huge.

I do still hold out hope. I think right out of the gates after the break we'll know. If they're stumbling and slow, it's done. If they have some jump and look eager to get back on top of things, they likely can.

I agree 100% with your assessment, except for one thing. I believe one Sedin (Hank) will be fine, but the other (Daniel) looks like a very expensive problem. His scoring is not just a slump like most want to believe, he has been goal less for a long, long time now.

I don't know if he just forgot how to put the puck in the net, has really lost his abilities, or is fine cashing his paychecks now that they are signed up until retirement (I really don't think that is it), but he better look into the mirror and figure it out.

He is making 7 mil a year to be a sniper, not just skate around and cash paychecks.

tanking on purpose would lose my respect for the club, as it has with other clubs. Losing hockey games should not be a way to build a franchise, ever.

If we miss by a few points in an honest effort that is okay, we have had a fantastic run since 2001 of enjoying a winning team. I think fans are spoiled these days. Maybe try being a fan of the team in an era where a winning season every 3 or 4 is normal. One point out of a playoff spot? AWESOME SAUCE. Put the pedal to the medal and lets rip it up and get a wild card!

tanking on purpose would lose my respect for the club, as it has with other clubs. Losing hockey games should not be a way to build a franchise, ever.

If we miss by a few points in an honest effort that is okay, we have had a fantastic run since 2001 of enjoying a winning team. I think fans are spoiled these days. Maybe try being a fan of the team in an era where a winning season every 3 or 4 is normal. One point out of a playoff spot? AWESOME SAUCE. Put the pedal to the medal and lets rip it up and get a wild card!

Agreed thats why Basketball has turned into such a joke.

oh we are tanking.... its just not on purpose.

Make the playoffs...maybe. Make an impact, not likely at all.

Teams or athletes that succeed when the rubber hits the road are capable of taking their game to the next level. IN 2011, the Nucks played at the regular season level and were good enough and fortunate enough (almost collapsed against Chicago) to get to the final. At no point, did they elevate their game above how they had played in the regular season.

I see nothing from this group to indicate they have developed that or that any of their group possess that.

Look at Bilodeau today...he struggled in the early round to make the group of 12 but when the medals were on the line, he nailed it with possibly the best run of his life despite all the pressure of being the defending champion. That's what winners do. This group has shown when adversity strikes, they crumble.

Archived