The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ryan Miller and Steve Ott to St.Louis

He's one gritty/pestering SOB.

Yeah - I want that guy. He's unreal in the faceoff circle, has really good underlying numbers and pretty solid two way upside.

Would certainly raise the offer to get it done.

Not sure how many centers St Louis thinks they need, but their lineup is full of them.

Yeah - I want that guy. He's unreal in the faceoff circle, has really good underlying numbers and pretty solid two way upside.

Would certainly raise the offer to get it done.

Not sure how many centers St Louis thinks they need, but their lineup is full of them.

Derek Roy and Steve Ott were traded for each other 2 years ago.

No you guys are the ones drooling over Miller I am saying Miller is not a upgrade on Halak. If Miller played for the Blues last year the Blues still would of lost to LA. I stated that Miller for Halak makes no sense and you know Miller is 33 his best years are well behind him Halak is 28 and still has at least 5 good years left.

Not only that but if Miller doesn't resign with the Blues they don't have a goaltender.

miller has faced the most shots against per game in the league with a god awful team in front of him he is 10th in save % with a .923 halak has a .917 both halak and miller have played 40 games..... miller has faced 400 more shots... how you think miller is not an upgrade is beyond me.

I don't think St Louis gave up as much as some folks here seem to perceive.

They gave up an overpaid and over-rated 'powerforward' that they were shopping because he was a poor fit for their particular style of puck possession hockey.

They gave up an average pending UFA goaltender.

They gave up a 27-30th overall pick and a 81-90th overall pick.

Meh.

I'm sure if the Blues win the cup, no one will claim they gave up too much but Buffalo got a really good return for two guys who most likely were gone after this season anyways.

Stewart has been dominant at times in his career and still is fairly young. Over-rated ? maybe but overpaid? No, he is 26 and has averages .6 ppg in his career he also is huge and can play with a mean streak.

An extra first and third round pick for a team rebuilding is huge and Carrier looks to be solid prospect with size.

Halak fills a hole short-term and my be resigned.

IMO Buffalo wins this trade because they picked up 4 potential players, 2 of which could be realistically be significant in stewart and the 1st for two UFA rentals.

That doesn't mean that I don't like the trade for the Blues but do think that this could come back and bite them if they don't win the cup or at the very least resign Miller.

I don't think St Louis gave up as much as some folks here seem to perceive.

They gave up an overpaid and over-rated 'powerforward' that they were shopping because he was a poor fit for their particular style of puck possession hockey.

They gave up an average pending UFA goaltender.

They gave up a 27-30th overall pick and a 81-90th overall pick.

Meh.

Let's see what they flip Halak & Stewart for first before you close the book on this one.

I'd offer St Louis a 2nd (lowball) for Sobotka right about now.

Ooh yes. Would love to get Sobotka.

I think this is a really good trade for St Louis. They've got a good shot at re-signing Miller. As I said earlier about Vancouver theoretically needing a new goalie if Lu were traded, there aren't many teams needing goaltending in the West. If he really wants to be closer to California, there aren't many options other than Alberta.

And on the brightside, my prediction of the Blues as dark horse Cup winner candidates before the season started just got one step closer to reality. I like them regardless and if Van misses the playoffs this year, I'll be cheering for them.

Chris Stewart = Taylor Pyatt

Want to see where Pyatt was at compared to where Stewart is at ? Stewart has almost outscored Pyatt and has played 463 less games and none of which have been playing with the Sedins (his most productive years).

Stewart 228 pts in 377 games .6 ppg

Pyatt 135 pts in first 384 games .35 ppg

Pyatt 278 pts in career 840 games .33 ppg

Want to see where Pyatt was at compared to where Stewart is at ? Stewart has almost outscored Pyatt and has played 463 less games and none of which have been playing with the Sedins (his most productive years).

Stewart 228 pts in 377 games .6 ppg

Pyatt 135 pts in first 384 games .35 ppg

Pyatt 278 pts in career 840 games .33 ppg

I never said Taylor Pyatt was a bad player, i'm just saying I think they are the same style of player. Big, talented, soft and never fulfilling their promise. He got benched in the playoffs one time. If that doesn't say something about his play and his effort, nothing will convince you otherwise. Even when given the chance to play with the Blues top players, he failed to thrive. He will likely never be that player he was that one time in Colorado where a large chunk of that production came from and was 100% expendable as Hitch had no use for him.

I'm sure if the Blues win the cup, no one will claim they gave up too much but Buffalo got a really good return for two guys who most likely were gone after this season anyways.

Stewart has been dominant at times in his career and still is fairly young. Over-rated ? maybe but overpaid? No, he is 26 and has averages .6 ppg in his career he also is huge and can play with a mean streak.

An extra first and third round pick for a team rebuilding is huge and Carrier looks to be solid prospect with size.

Halak fills a hole short-term and my be resigned.

IMO Buffalo wins this trade because they picked up 4 potential players, 2 of which could be realistically be significant in stewart and the 1st for two UFA rentals.

That doesn't mean that I don't like the trade for the Blues but do think that this could come back and bite them if they don't win the cup or at the very least resign Miller.

I'm not a huge fan of Miller, and even less so of Ott, (nor Stewart for that matter) - I probably would not have paid that price (particularly the 1st) for those two pending Sabres UFAs, but who wins probably won't be determined for some time. Who knows what those picks become - or who re-signs where - but I think there's a perception here that Stewart is a better hockey player than St Louis themselves felt - and I tend to agree with St Louis on the matter. So they moved a UFA goaltender for another, they moved Stewart's contract for a UFA, essentially giving up the picks for the upgrades. I don't think it's a clear win either way - there are more moving parts than usual.

Archived