The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Paul Stastny

We all know that there is a possibility of Ryan kesler getting traded? am I right? We as Canucks have to support his decision whether he stays or goes. We also know that David booth could get bought out, Agreed? If kesler got trade and booth gets bought out thats 9.25 million dollars for signings. On top of was the Luongo trade. Trading away Roberto luongo now means we have an extra 5.333 million dollars to add to that delightful 9.25 million dollars. This meens we know have a grand total of 14.58 to spend on top players. One of these top players is Paul Stastny. He is young, he is big, he is powerful, just what this club needs to help make a playoff push in the seasons to come. Paul Stastny Stats as follows...

Playoffs Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM 2002–03 River City Lancers USHL 57 10 20 30 39 8 0 1 1 2 2003–04 River City Lancers USHL 56 30 47 77 46 3 1 2 3 0 2004–05 Denver Pioneers WCHA 42 17 28 45 30 — — — — — 2005–06 Denver Pioneers WCHA 39 19 34 53 79 — — — — — 2006–07 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 28 50 78 42 — — — — — 2007–08 Colorado Avalanche NHL 66 24 47 71 24 9 2 1 3 6 2008–09 Colorado Avalanche NHL 45 11 25 36 22 — — — — — 2009–10 Colorado Avalanche NHL 81 20 59 79 50 6 1 4 5 4 2010–11 Colorado Avalanche NHL 74 22 35 57 56 — — — — — 2011–12 Colorado Avalanche NHL 79 21 32 53 34 — — — — — 2012–13 EHC München DEL 13 7 11 18 20 — — — — — 2012–13 Colorado Avalanche NHL 40 9 15 24 14 — — — — — NHL totals 467 135 263 398 242 15 3 5 8 10 What do you guys think about this, discuss, i wouldn't mind seeing anyones lineup or other proposal in the comment section below, thanks

It's been a while since he was a ppg player and it's alarming that he isn't scoring like a mad man with the amount of talent on that Colorado team. But he is still a fantastic player, one of the few good enough to push Kelser to the wing. As always, it depends on the cost. Tough to justify Statsny at anything more than 7 million a season.

Daniel - Henrik - Jensen

Burrows - Statsny - Kesler

Higgins - Matthias - Kassian

_______ - Richardson - Hansen

Very solid. Lots of options and depth.

I don't think we will be wasting a buyout on Booth since he is a UFA in the summer of 2015.

At this point I think it's better to buy him out and take a cheap 550K shot on a Santorelli type guy again. The difference between the salaries is worth the shot at somebody else.

We all know that there is a possibility of Ryan kesler getting traded? am I right? We as Canucks have to support his decision whether he stays or goes. We also know that David booth could get bought out, Agreed? If kesler got trade and booth gets bought out thats 9.25 million dollars for signings. On top of was the Luongo trade. Trading away Roberto luongo now means we have an extra 5.333 million dollars to add to that delightful 9.25 million dollars. This meens we know have a grand total of 14.58 to spend on top players. One of these top players is Paul Stastny. He is young, he is big, he is powerful, just what this club needs to help make a playoff push in the seasons to come. Paul Stastny Stats as follows...

What do you guys think about this, discuss, i wouldn't mind seeing anyones lineup or other proposal in the comment section below, thanks

1. Trading Luongo did not give us that much in cap space. Say hello to the cap hits we acquired in the trade.

2. Paul Stastny is a downgrade to Kesler, is pretty much the same age, 'power' was never part of his game, he won't be a decent and he's going to be more expensive than Kesler. So if we're signing Stastny and trying in vein to 'win now', that means we should be keeping Kesler, doesn't it?

3. There's a reason why Colorado hasn't re-signed Stastny yet. He's just not that good. Let somebody else give him the Scott Gomez/Chris Drury treatment.

4. Wrong forum.

It's been a while since he was a ppg player and it's alarming that he isn't scoring like a mad man with the amount of talent on that Colorado team. But he is still a fantastic player, one of the few good enough to push Kelser to the wing. As always, it depends on the cost. Tough to justify Statsny at anything more than 7 million a season.

Daniel - Henrik - Jensen

Burrows - Statsny - Kesler

Higgins - Matthias - Kassian

Archibald/Sestito/Santorelli - Richardson - Hansen

Very solid. Lots of options and depth.

You don't have to use it, it's an option

The aquamen would probably rather keep their money

They were reluctant to use it on Luongo because there was a huge sum of money involved. This is only about $3m, and it'll free up 4.2m in cap space which will help the team win next year. If winning is part of their agenda, they'll do it.

Playoffs Season Team League GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM 2002–03 River City Lancers USHL 57 10 20 30 39 8 0 1 1 2 2003–04 River City Lancers USHL 56 30 47 77 46 3 1 2 3 0 Denver Pioneers WCHA 42 17 28 45 30 — — — — — <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005-06_NCAA_Division_I_men" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005-06_NCAA_Division_I_men" s_ice_hockey_season"="">2005–06 Denver Pioneers WCHA 39 19 34 53 79 — — — — — 2006–07 Colorado Avalanche NHL 82 28 50 78 42 — — — — — 2007–08 Colorado Avalanche NHL 66 24 47 71 24 9 2 1 3 6 2008–09 Colorado Avalanche NHL 45 11 25 36 22 — — — — — 2009–10 Colorado Avalanche NHL 81 20 59 79 50 6 1 4 5 4 2010–11 Colorado Avalanche NHL 74 22 35 57 56 — — — — — 2011–12 Colorado Avalanche NHL 79 21 32 53 34 — — — — — 2012–13 EHC München DEL 13 7 11 18 20 — — — — — 2012–13 Colorado Avalanche NHL 40 9 15 24 14 — — — — — NHL totals 467 135 263 398 242 15 3 5 8 10 What do you guys think about this, discuss, i wouldn't mind seeing anyones lineup or other proposal in the comment section below, thanks

Stastny would be an option if we needed a top line scoring / play making center. But we just re-signed former league MVP and scoring champ Henrik Sedin. I dont see the point?

Stastny will not take Kesler's spot if he stays; take TOI and roles on the US Olympic team as evidence RK17 is the more important player. Stastny will also never replace what Kesler did for our team if he is traded. Me, I groom Horvat / Gaunce for Kesler's role, let Mathias tide us by till they arrive.

I have better things to do with the roughly $6 mill (actual math) we will have.

I agree signing Stastny would be a decent idea, play Burrows/Higgins - Kesler - Stastny for the year and if:
A) we are a terrible team next year by the deadline or
B) We don't win the cup next year
Then we trade Kesler next deadline/offseason. a year/two playoffs of Kesler is still worth a decent amount on the trade market and gives us that additional time to groom Horvat, Gaunce, and Fox for roles on the team.

Burrows is like Clarkson, not remotely good enough to justify his contract but still brings enough to the team to not warrant a buyout/waivers

Lol. Sorry Boose, but Burrows and Clarkson aren't even remotely comparable. Clarkson is on a wayyy worser contract and his history proves will never be worth it. Burrows on the other hand can be worth it with his history. There's just so many things to talk about on this lol.

Lol. Sorry Boose, but Burrows and Clarkson aren't even remotely comparable. Clarkson is on a wayyy worser contract and his history proves will never be worth it. Burrows on the other hand can be worth it with his history. There's just so many things to talk about on this lol.

I'm not debating the Clarkson contract isn't worse.

I was just illustrating the point that those players are just good enough to warrant keeping around.

Archived