The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

41 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

It’s kind of nice this time around though, we do have 4 prospects in the MLB top 100... hell I think we got 3 in the top 50. I don’t know if I can take another 20 years of bottom dwelling though. It’d be nice to see MLB get a hard cap of about 180-190 million. Prevent the Sed Sox, Yankees and Dodgers from acquiring all the top end talent. Or even to move one of those teams into a different division... it would suck to face one of those teams through a season but to face 2 of them that often, basically handicaps 3 teams in the division the 17 out of every 20 years they go into buy and contend mode.

I personally feel how this team is going to be decided on if they can compete in the future based on how the organization builds around Vladdy Guerrero Jr. and I give them about 6 years to figure that out by the time Vladdy turns 25. I feel from the age of 25-33 for Vladdy is his prime years and this team better have the assets around him to give this team the best opportunity to compete, so they have about 6 years to figure it out imo. They got something very special there in Vladdy I think, so let's hope they can acquire the right pieces by the time he's prime.(Trout is one of a kind tho) 

Well there is a salary cap it goes up every year they call it a Competitive Balance Tax aka Luxury Tax, same as a salary cap, but the penalty is still affordable for these big giant teams to pay the fine every year that's the problem. Really don't know how they'll fix it tbh, because when teams are making that much money and can throw that much away for taxes for going over every year what is next suspending a team, it's a tough one to fix unfortunately.

The threshold was $189 million from 2014-16, but the following increases were put in place per the 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement:

2017: $195 million*

2018: $197 million

2019: $206 million

2020: $208 million

2021: $210 million

*For 2017 only, clubs that exceed the threshold shall pay the average between what their luxury tax would be under the 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement rules and what it would have been per the previous CBA.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

42 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I personally feel how this team is going to be decided on if they can compete in the future based on how the organization builds around Vladdy Guerrero Jr. and I give them about 6 years to figure that out by the time Vladdy turns 25. I feel from the age of 25-33 for Vladdy is his prime years and this team better have the assets around him to give this team the best opportunity to compete, so they have about 6 years to figure it out imo. They got something very special there in Vladdy I think, so let's hope they can acquire the right pieces by the time he's prime.(Trout is one of a kind tho) 

Well there is a salary cap it goes up every year they call it a Competitive Balance Tax aka Luxury Tax, same as a salary cap, but the penalty is still affordable for these big giant teams to pay the fine every year that's the problem. Really don't know how they'll fix it tbh, because when teams are making that much money and can throw that much away for taxes for going over every year what is next suspending a team, it's a tough one to fix unfortunately.

The threshold was $189 million from 2014-16, but the following increases were put in place per the 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement:

2017: $195 million*

2018: $197 million

2019: $206 million

2020: $208 million

2021: $210 million

*For 2017 only, clubs that exceed the threshold shall pay the average between what their luxury tax would be under the 2017-21 Collective Bargaining Agreement rules and what it would have been per the previous CBA.

Yea I was aware of the luxury tax, it still doesn’t really seem to slow those teams down though. I basically see it as a chance for the mlb to capitalize off of the value of those franchises. It would be better to see them rework the divisions abit if they could.. but I’m not fully sure how to do that in a way that makes sense either. If we only had to fight one of Boston or NYY for a division title it would give us a fighting chance at a wildcard most years too. 

The other thing they could do is make the playoffs for 8 teams in each league and maybe shorten the season to 155 games or something and have the first 2 rounds as 5 game series. 

26 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yea I was aware of the luxury tax, it still doesn’t really seem to slow those teams down though. I basically see it as a chance for the mlb to capitalize off of the value of those franchises. It would be better to see them rework the divisions abit if they could.. but I’m not fully sure how to do that in a way that makes sense either. If we only had to fight one of Boston or NYY for a division title it would give us a fighting chance at a wildcard most years too. 

The other thing they could do is make the playoffs for 8 teams in each league and maybe shorten the season to 155 games or something and have the first 2 rounds as 5 game series. 

Gotcha and no it doesn't slow them down because they have the money to pay the fine without hurting their pockets still lol. Maybe they adapt a rule teams also start losing draft picks maybe that will make teams think twice before going over the cap, especially with the trend I'm seeing it's about the youth more then ever.

Roberto Osuna suspended for 75 games.

As per Tim & Sid

and here's the official announcement on MLB.com

Major League Baseball has suspended Toronto Blue Jays reliever Roberto Osuna 75 games, as his assault charge continues to work its way through the court system.

The unpaid suspension is retroactive to May 8, when Osuna was first charged.

Commissioner Manfred announced today that @BlueJays pitcher Roberto Osuna has accepted a suspension without pay through 8/4/18 for violating the Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. The unpaid suspension is retroactive to 5/8/18 and covers 75 games. pic.twitter.com/NettIJlCjw

— MLB Communications (@MLB_PR) June 22, 2018

Osuna is next scheduled to appear in a Toronto court on July 9. Osuna’s lawyer, Domenic Basile, says his client intends on pleading “not guilty” to the “simple assault,” charge levied against him.

Under his release terms, Osuna was ordered to not communicate with the woman he allegedly assaulted, to stay 100 metres away from his condo in Toronto, to not buy, possess or consume alcohol and to not possess any weapons.

The 23-year-old Osuna was put on paid administrative leave by MLB on May 8 and has seen it extended all the way to June 25.

MLB doesn’t need to wait for a conviction to deem a violation of the joint MLB-MLBPA Domestic Violence Policy has occurred. Jose Reyes (51 games), Aroldis Chapman (30 games), Jeurys Familia (15 games) and Steven Wright (15 games) were all suspended without a conviction.

Edited by redhdlois

^^^^

To add to that.

"Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Osuna violated the policy and should be subject to discipline in the form of an unpaid suspension that will expire on Aug. 4," Commissioner Rob Manfred said.

MLB was reportedly able to interview the alleged victim in its investigation, according to FRS Baseball's Jon Heyman.

Osuna's next court date is July 9, and he intends to plead not guilty to the charges.

Sounds like MLB finds him guilty, so again I ask, what's worse cheating and using steroids (80 game ban) or being a woman beater (75 game ban).....

• Upvote 1

On 2018-06-22 at 7:12 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

^^^^

To add to that.

"Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Osuna violated the policy and should be subject to discipline in the form of an unpaid suspension that will expire on Aug. 4," Commissioner Rob Manfred said.

MLB was reportedly able to interview the alleged victim in its investigation, according to FRS Baseball's Jon Heyman.

Osuna's next court date is July 9, and he intends to plead not guilty to the charges.

Sounds like MLB finds him guilty, so again I ask, what's worse cheating and using steroids (80 game ban) or being a woman beater (75 game ban).....

Wow that's unreal when you compare the two. PED's shouldn't be worse than Assault. You aren't traumatizing another human being when using a PED.

• Upvote 2

:lol: Go figure....

Donaldson suffers setback, will miss at least 3 more weeks with calf strain

Josh Donaldson won't be returning to the Toronto Blue Jays' lineup anytime soon.

Donaldson, who hasn't played since May 28 due to a left calf injury, suffered a setback while rehabbing in Florida, prompting an MRI that revealed an acute strain of his left calf, the team announced. He will be re-evaluated in three weeks.

More to come.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1515552

17 hours ago, TheHitman said:

What a disappointment this year has been for the Blue Jays tbh. 

I tend to take a bit more of an optimistic approach.

Even if the Jays were a + .500 team, they wouldn't have a chance against the Yankees or Red Sox. They might have an outside shot at a WC slot, but it would almost certainly be one and done against any of the big 4 AL teams (Houston and Cleveland being the other two)

The Jays need a full on rebuild and being somewhat competitive might have caused them to be buyers at the deadline. Being where they are in the standings is confirmation that the lineup as it looks now, is basically done as a contender. If there's a market for any of their veterans, they should move them. I think they could see excellent return for Happ and Estrada and with a little luck, (or injuries on other rosters) there might be a market for guys like Pillar, Martin and Smoak.

It's time to follow the Houston playbook and two bad years in a row is the impetus to get it started.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, numb3r 16 said:

Jays need a spark, maybe Guerrero Jr. will provide that sometime soon.

They're going to promote him to Triple A, as soon as he comes off the DL. I don't think you'll see him with the Jays until rosters are expanded in September.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They're going to promote him to Triple A, as soon as he comes off the DL. I don't think you'll see him with the Jays until rosters are expanded in September.

Honestly I don't think we see him till next season due to service time.

Happ cruising but then the Sox get a "Replay Rally" and are now destroying the Jays.  When instant replay was brought in I don't think it was intended to replay every single stupid ticky tack play.  Ugh, hate the Sox, they did not deserve that break.

1 hour ago, numb3r 16 said:

Honestly I don't think we see him till next season due to service time.

I've been reading up on Service Time and it seems to really depend on how it's managed.  Calling him up in September I guess would add 30 day or so of service time.  Which could come into play depending on how you have him on the roster moving forward.  With a full season of service time being considered 172 days (most seasons are around 183 apparently), some teams will call up prospects part way into season to basically get "an extra" year.

For me, I don't think the Jays should tack days onto Guerrero's service time just 'cause.  It looks like he's ready for a promotion and AAA makes logical sense.  Does he need major league at bats this year for development?  If deemed so, then bring him up it'll only be a handful of service time days.  Personally, the promotion to AAA should be enough.  Let him get settled there for a while and start looking to get him some MLB time next year if earned.

• Upvote 1