The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

On a side note, Rasmus becomes first ever player to accept a qualifying offer. Astros will be paying him $15.8m!!!!!

What in the world....fracking ridiculous...how is that even possible lmao

While I agree that is a lot for Rasmus, I'm not surprised this is the first qualifying offer to be accepted.  Most players that deserve a QO are often good enough to deserve a multi year deal.

While I agree that is a lot for Rasmus, I'm not surprised this is the first qualifying offer to be accepted.  Most players that deserve a QO are often good enough to deserve a multi year deal.

Well yeah, I think. most guys who aren't good enough for those multi-year deals don't earn enough service time for a QO

What about flipping Tulowitzki for prospects and then trading prospects plus Colabello and Revere to the Braves (who are supposedly shedding salary) for Freddie Freeman and Julio Teheran. We could sign a SS like Asdrubal Cabrerra or Alexei Remirez or even Ian Desmond and a number 5 starter like Rich Hill. A rotation of Stroman, Teheran, Estrada, Dickey and Hill could be good. Plus it would save some money to spend on some big guys for the pen.

A batting order of Cabrera (switch hitter), Donaldson, Bautista, Encarnacion, Freeman (Power left handed bat), Martin, Pillar, Travis and Saunders.

Edited by flickyoursedin

Huh? Only 23M to add?

This is baseball! You can add as much as you want and just pay the tax.

Yes we are aware of this but Toronto doesn't have the limitless payroll like the Dodgers or the Yankees. Rogers makes the payroll limitations and its been rumoured that Rogers doesn't want to pay much more than where we're at now.

• Upvote 1

Yes we are aware of this but Toronto doesn't have the limitless payroll like the Dodgers or the Yankees. Rogers makes the payroll limitations and its been rumoured that Rogers doesn't want to pay much more than where we're at now.

Rumours are just that. Rumours.

Making Messier pay for his own chips should free up a million or two.

• Upvote 2

All I'm saying is signing another average pitcher and some decent bullpen arms which would put us around where our self imposed cap has been for the past couple years is a lot more plausible than signing Grienke, Price, Davis and trading for Chapman. Rogers isn't known for giving a salary cap of 170++ million dollars in which you are suggesting he will. I'd love it if he did but if thats what you're hoping for you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

All I'm saying is signing another average pitcher and some decent bullpen arms which would put us around where our self imposed cap has been for the past couple years is a lot more plausible than signing Grienke, Price, Davis and trading for Chapman. Rogers isn't known for giving a salary cap of 170++ million dollars in which you are suggesting he will. I'd love it if he did but if thats what you're hoping for you're setting yourself up for disappointment.

What I am asking for is that when you have the momentum that this franchise currently has, getting budget conscious is a sure fire way to lose that momentum. It took 21 years to make it back to the post season. Why cheap out now? This is the time to throw some extra jack out there and try to capitalize.

What I am asking for is that when you have the momentum that this franchise currently has, getting budget conscious is a sure fire way to lose that momentum. It took 21 years to make it back to the post season. Why cheap out now? This is the time to throw some extra jack out there and try to capitalize.

Agreed.  The extra butts in the seats/merch sales should come reasonably close to offsetting some of those costs.  If it doesn't, just lower said cap once the window closes.

I don't think anyone is arguing against your valid points, but history has showed Rogers to not spend as much as other clubs right? Having said that, "Rogers. Shapiro. Show the fans you're willing to spend the money!" If the revenue they generated via merch and ticket sales is at par with where their payroll was (I don't know if it was or not) and they are profit driven why would they increase spending?

When Shapiro says things like "replenish the cupboard with prospects" you wonder how he figures to go about doing so. 

Hey I agree with you they should definitely throw more money at this team and get some players for a WS run. I'm a die hard blue jays fan but as a fan its easy for me to say "whats the deal? just add more to that internal budget and lets do this thing.". However sadly it feels Rogers is more of a business man and thinking of having a solid team but also making money instead of overflowing his budget and not making anything. In saying this there are 30 teams in baseball and the Blue Jays internal budget has been hanging around top 10 in the league for some time now so its not like Rogers isn't giving us anything to work with.

Hey I agree with you they should definitely throw more money at this team and get some players for a WS run. I'm a die hard blue jays fan but as a fan its easy for me to say "whats the deal? just add more to that internal budget and lets do this thing.". However sadly it feels Rogers is more of a business man and thinking of having a solid team but also making money instead of overflowing his budget and not making anything. In saying this there are 30 teams in baseball and the Blue Jays internal budget has been hanging around top 10 in the league for some time now so its not like Rogers isn't giving us anything to work with.

The problem is public perception will carry over to other parts of the Robbers empire.  Cheaping out on the Jays while hiring a classless, ego-driven, chip-binging buffoon as a spokesperson for GameCenter is not going to make sports fans flock to your products.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

The problem is public perception will carry over to other parts of the Robbers empire.  Cheaping out on the Jays while hiring a classless, ego-driven, chip-binging buffoon as a spokesperson for GameCenter is not going to make sports fans flock to your products.

Absolutely great post and I'm hoping Rogers see's it this way and gives a little more to get a little more and keep this competitive team moving upward and the fans entertained. All I'm saying is I'm not holding my breath that Rogers will increase salary as much as we all want him to. I don't want to get my hopes up.

something about Mess and his potato chips really gets your goat, eh?

22 hours ago, shiznak said:

If only Rogers would bump the "cap" payroll to 150m, they could ultimately keep the same team going into next season, minus Narravo and Hawkins. 

Pretty much.

I don't see why they couldn't devote a little more, when they saw the difference having a team at the top made to their bottom line. Seems short sighted to just ride this wave out to mediocrity and waiting for people to eventually stop caring again.