The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

The Josh Donaldson speculation station is about to take off. He's entering his final arbitration year and will be a free agent in 2019. Accordingly, the Blue Jays are in a sort of limbo. A horrific 8-17 April buried them, but they were only marginally better afterward. The offense is old, and youth is coming in a year or two, so trading Donaldson may be the best move if they fall out of the race early.

MLB offseason Power Rankings: Astros reign supreme
https://www.thescore.com/news/1427339

JD and Stro are the two pieces that would fetch the Jays the most return.

Since it looks as though Vlady Jr. and Bichette are still a few years away, I might advocate moving these pieces for young, talented major league ready players. (I know Stro fits that bill, but I see him as a "Sell high" kind of asset. I'm just not sold on a pitcher that small and I also believe there are some attitude issues there)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Shohei Otani is getting teams to fill out a questionnaire to see they are a good fit for him. Insane. I am not just saying this because I am a Yankee fan, but if he doesn't sign with the NYY I will be shocked. 

Japanese people do seem to love the west coast. For some reason I’m thinking it’ll be the Giants or Dodgers 

8 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Japanese people do seem to love the west coast. For some reason I’m thinking it’ll be the Giants or Dodgers 

My money is on the Dodgers. Ohtani is going to want to hit, so signing with an NL team seems likely. Combine that with the Dodgers making it to the WS this year, their (seemingly) unlimited budget and as you say, their west coast location, I see a fit.

If an AL team managed to land him, I wonder if you'd see him play 4 games in the outfield and then start on the 5th? I can't imagine teams wanting to risk one of their top arms, trying to gun out baserunners from the warning track, but all bets seem to be off with this guy....

37 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My money is on the Dodgers. Ohtani is going to want to hit, so signing with an NL team seems likely. Combine that with the Dodgers making it to the WS this year, their (seemingly) unlimited budget and as you say, their west coast location, I see a fit.

If an AL team managed to land him, I wonder if you'd see him play 4 games in the outfield and then start on the 5th? I can't imagine teams wanting to risk one of their top arms, trying to gun out baserunners from the warning track, but all bets seem to be off with this guy....

I feel like he’s going to go to an AL team. Someone that can offer him a day of pitching then a day in the field maybe and a couple days of DHing.  I see some teams allowing him to DH and that’s why I think the AL is ideal, unless he’s bent on fielding as well. 

On 11/27/2017 at 7:40 AM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I feel like he’s going to go to an AL team. Someone that can offer him a day of pitching then a day in the field maybe and a couple days of DHing.  I see some teams allowing him to DH and that’s why I think the AL is ideal, unless he’s bent on fielding as well. 

I agree as well he'll probably want to go to an AL team to DH on off pitching days, but did read he plays RF normally so I guess if an NL team does take a shot they'll have to be ok with their star pitcher playing in the outfield with long throws.... I don't see many NL teams agreeing with this tbh, and feel an AL team will land him to allow him to hit more, then just on his pitching day. I originally suggested the Rangers as a team who may go after him especially with their past history and huge contracts they have money, then I read this the other day.

Rangers GM: We're 'years into' process of courting Ohtani

If the Texas Rangers are able to convince Japanese sensation Shohei Ohtani to come to Arlington, it'll be the culmination of years of work by a front office that has been enamored of the 23-year-old since he was in high school, general manager Jon Daniels said.

"It's a process that we are years into, not days or weeks or months," Daniels told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com. "This is a player that has interested us at a high level for an extended period of time. This is not something that just came about."

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1433953

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

6 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I agree as well he'll probably want to go to an AL team to DH on off pitching days, but did read he plays RF normally so I guess if an NL team does take a shot they'll have to be ok with their star pitcher playing in the outfield with long throws.... I don't see many NL teams agreeing with this tbh, and feel an AL team will land him to allow him to hit more, then just on his pitching day. I originally suggested the Rangers as a team who may go after him especially with their past history and huge contracts they have money, then I read this the other day.

Rangers GM: We're 'years into' process of courting Ohtani

If the Texas Rangers are able to convince Japanese sensation Shohei Ohtani to come to Arlington, it'll be the culmination of years of work by a front office that has been enamored of the 23-year-old since he was in high school, general manager Jon Daniels said.

"It's a process that we are years into, not days or weeks or months," Daniels told T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com. "This is a player that has interested us at a high level for an extended period of time. This is not something that just came about."

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1433953

If I was Shatkins, I'd send Ohtani a tape showing how much they like immigrants and minorities in Texas...

Gotta fight dirty.:ph34r:

• Cheers 2

Guess you can add Gregg Zaun to the list:

Gregg Zaun has been fired from Sportsnet due to "inappropriate behaviour and comments" toward female employees.

Rick Brace, president of Rogers Media, said in a statement Thursday that the company was terminating the contract of the Blue Jays analyst effective immediately.

"This week, we received complaints from multiple female employees at Sportsnet regarding inappropriate behaviour by Gregg Zaun in the workplace," the statement said.

"After investigating the matter, we decided to terminate his contract, effective immediately. This type of behaviour completely contradicts our standards and our core values. We believe in a professional workplace where all employees feel comfortable and respected. We are grateful to our employees who spoke with us and we will take every measure to protect their privacy."

Zaun, a former Blue Jays catcher, began a part-time broadcasting career with Sportsnet following the 2006 season. He initially signed a two-year deal as a MLB studio analyst with Sportsnet in 2011 and continued working with the network until his termination.

Zaun, 46, played 16 major league seasons, including five years in Toronto from 2004-08. He captured a World Series with the Florida Marlins in 1997.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/gregg-zaun-rogers-sportsnet-fired-1.4427565

On 11/30/2017 at 6:18 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Brutal stupid Zaun, going to miss someone telling it like it is.

Dunno what happened there. This site is crap. Pencil neck idiots fixed what wasn't broke.      I like Zaun. Poor over sensitive, entitled people getting their way again. Our society is a bunch of soft cry babies. 

• Cheers 1

On 2017-11-26 at 9:01 PM, ReggieBush said:

Shohei Otani is getting teams to fill out a questionnaire to see they are a good fit for him. Insane. I am not just saying this because I am a Yankee fan, but if he doesn't sign with the NYY I will be shocked.