The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Jays have signed Freddy Galvis to a one year contract. (plus a club option for a second) Galvis played all 162 games for the Padres last season, most of them at short.

The deal provides insurance for the Jays in the infield, in case of injury, or if one of the young players struggle.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/blue-jays-sign-galvis-to-1-year-contract/ar-BBSUNRM?li=AAggNb9

I give Shatkins credit for this one. It looks like a solid signing.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Marcus Stroman complaining in the media because the Jays haven't signed him to a long term deal.....

This coming off a 4-9 season with an ERA of 5.54. :rolleyes:

I said it before: The Jays missed the boat in not trading this guy after the World Cup.

apprenlty they were offered charie backman straight up for him

5 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

apprenlty they were offered charie backman straight up for him

Not sure if that rumor was ever substantiated. I remember the talk about it though and I was all for making the deal if it was true. There were a few people disagreeing, but CB wasn't really a household name at that point....

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Marcus Stroman complaining in the media because the Jays haven't signed him to a long term deal.....

I said it before: The Jays missed the boat in not trading this guy after the World Cup.

Sadly, he’s our best pitcher, atm.

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Sadly, he’s our best pitcher, atm.

FWIW, I think he'll have a decent year. He seems to alternate between good and bad. (Health is a big factor as well)

That being said, I think the die is cast. Good, bad or mediocre, I think the Jays will move him at some point.

• Upvote 3

On 2/18/2019 at 2:16 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah I remember one time you mentioning this, but I felt the Jays still had 1 more good year or shot at maybe making a run for the world series and they needed his arm still if that was to happen, but it obviously didn't happen and I think it was injuries again to him that limited him, anyways you were right! 

The first day he came out and basically cried and said that no one has contacted him about an extension kind of pissed me off, he's always about being the center of attention. Then the next day he comes out and says basically, he feels he's treated and ignored because of this issue now and he thinks or feels he's not wanted now all of a sudden because of it and comes out and says this for more attention, like dude shut your trap and play ball and show you deserve something.

Anyways I still think there's a value for him in a trade, maybe not as good as before but still decent, just the pitching is really weak but still I'm all for trading him don't want him on the Jays anymore, did feel like that last year too though so nothing has changed besides wanting him traded even more now after what he said. Hopefully Sanchez can stay healthy and finally become that #1 he was projected to become, but I feel I say the same thing about him now every year lol.

15 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

FWIW, I think he'll have a decent year. He seems to alternate between good and bad. (Health is a big factor as well)

That being said, I think the die is cast. Good, bad or mediocre, I think the Jays will move him at some point.

Yep, he was also questioning management's expected decision to hold Vlad Jr out for 12 games (I believe its 12) to retain a year of his contract. Any team would do this, its also a business, and just as the Nucks shouldn't play Hughes more than 9 games this year, it makes sense. But when asked he said something to the effect of 'do you guys want to see him opening day? do you think the fans do?" - clearly a shot at management. The guy is not team first whatever he says, too much ego for not enough production. Thinks he's better than he's proven

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

Yep, he was also questioning management's expected decision to hold Vlad Jr out for 12 games (I believe its 12) to retain a year of his contract. Any team would do this, its also a business, and just as the Nucks shouldn't play Hughes more than 9 games this year, it makes sense. But when asked he said something to the effect of 'do you guys want to see him opening day? do you think the fans do?" - clearly a shot at management. The guy is not team first whatever he says, too much ego for not enough production. Thinks he's better than he's proven

I even had to have that same argument with a couple of fans ITT, last season. It's a complete no-brainer. Miss 12 games at the start of the season to retain a year of control. I'd be pissed at management if they didn't do it.

Vlady himself understands it and he's said over and over, that he's okay with the decision.

• Upvote 1

On 2/20/2019 at 1:14 AM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The first day he came out and basically cried and said that no one has contacted him about an extension kind of pissed me off, he's always about being the center of attention. Then the next day he comes out and says basically, he feels he's treated and ignored because of this issue now and he thinks or feels he's not wanted now all of a sudden because of it and comes out and says this for more attention, like dude shut your trap and play ball and show you deserve something.

I'm honestly surprised Stroman is still a blue jay.

11 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not sure he will be after this year, hopefully he pitches well and can give us a sweet return on a team wanting his arm for the post season.

Best case scenario.

It's probably a pipe dream, but I remember making a faux trade with Reggie, where we got Clint Frazier in a straight up trade with the Yanks. Not sure if Reggie would still take it, but with the emergence of Aaron Hicks at center and Judge and Stanton being fixtures in the outfield, maybe there's no room for CF....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Not sure he will be after this year, hopefully he pitches well and can give us a sweet return on a team wanting his arm for the post season.

San Diego was a rumoured trade partner. Hope they go all in on Stro after getting Machado

• Upvote 1